Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 PM   #8
snickwit

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
THOR #7257
Hi all, just wanted to send quick update on where we're at. I had dropped off the MH at Ford Truck Service center and they were able to replace the steering rod/bushing all under warranty so all that's good.

However, I mentioned about my steering issues and requested to have alignment done. During their troubleshooting, they had determined that I had steering damper issue and that needed to be fixed. I was having difficulty hearing all details since I was on phone on the road (bad mistake) and later learned that the $800 charge that I authorized was to remove this "junk" aftermarket part. When I picked up the unit, the technician went over everything with me and explained that he did experience same issues as I did and spent couple hours unable to get alignment right so they removed the steering damper and now it pulls straight. Such as when you got to higher speeds, it appeared we would lose steering control (I noticed same thing) and I was always fighting and over correcting the coach. They confirmed it wouldn't compromise any safety and have done that with other RVs where they remove steering damper and problems were fixed. Drove it home and it drove so much easier and much less fighting with the steering wheel. However, it seemed more "sensitive" and easier to turn like I could just steer with 2 thumbs. Finally got home and opened the box of this "junk" bar and saw it was a Safety-T Plus bar. the previous owner obviously paid $$ to have this installed. Did I just get screwed? Or did they not know how to adjust these things? I think it drives better but I guess I could see how easy it was to steer and if one panicked, it would be easy to oversteer the coach? I have mixed feelings about this. Any thoughts? I'll post a separate thread soon.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum