Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut.....

Did they check the plug at the pedestal when they changed it?

I ask because usually the melting happens at the point of the problem, not 20' "downwind" of it (and I wouldn't put it past Thor to have something wrong there at the camper connector).

I also would suspect your surge suppressor didn't trip because this was probably a longer term event than it is setup to handle (surge suppressors are designed for that lightning hit, not a minutes long event).

Ah I can see that if the neutral line in the pedestal shorted to ground something like this could happen as your pin at the RV might have been the weakest link, however.
I'm not following the scenario you are describing. How would a short between neutral and ground at pedestal cause the motorhome's plug to overheat?

I agree with your first statement that a short at pedestal would cause overheating there for the most part, but I'm wondering why it wouldn't trip the breaker. I must be missing something here.

A good plug should not overheat unless more than 30 Amps flows through it. I'm not seeing how that would happen right off the bat. Why wouldn't RV or pedestal breaker trip first?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum