Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #17308
Generator does not charge chassis battery?

Apparently not. Been sitting about a week in Quartzsite, not running my engine. Run the generator from time to time to cook and charge things. When I’m not running generator I use the front console USB port to charge my phone, iPad, and cigarette lighter to charge earbuds. Yesterday I noticed a “not charging” on my iPad. Tried started RV but it wouldn’t even turn over. Brought out my Stanley Fatmax power supply and it started right up after connecting to battery. Drove around awhile and now it’s charged. Rig is a 2016 Thor Axis 24.1. Battery is just over 1 year old, and I’m usually on the road and don’t sit often. Kind of surprised charging these small energy items drained my battery after a few days. Oh well, lesson learned.

Is there any way I can get the generator to also charge the chassis battery? I read some RV’s do this.

Also, is it safe to use house battery to jump start the chassis battery?

Thanks!

Dan

Old 03-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Do a search on BIRD and BIM and you get a wealth of info. The generator should charge your chassis battery and the BIRD or BIM (whichever is installed) may be defective.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
2016 makes it at least five year old battery. If original it’s probably due to replace.

Second, you should have a non locking emergency start switch. That switch will connect the coach to chassis battery to start the. engine. You should hear the relay operate when using this switch. If you here the relay and it does nothing then that relay is bad. They do have a high failure rate.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #4

State: Utah
THOR #17308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
2016 makes it at least five year old battery. If original it’s probably due to replace.

Second, you should have a non locking emergency start switch. That switch will connect the coach to chassis battery to start the. engine. You should hear the relay operate when using this switch. If you here the relay and it does nothing then that relay is bad. They do have a high failure rate.
Thanks for the info on the emergency start switch. Kinda had a brain fart on that. As stated in my post, I bought a new battery just over a year ago. 😁
Old 03-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
interstate battery will test it and install new batteries. same issue here replace batteries
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post

Do I have to hold the emergency start switch down while trying to start engine. This same thing happened to mine. Found out the 100 amp breaker by the chassis battery had tripped.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Do I have to hold the emergency start switch down while trying to start engine. This same thing happened to mine. Found out the 100 amp breaker by the chassis battery had tripped.
Instructions say hold the emergency switch down for a few minutes BEFORE trying to start the engine. If the engine does not start immediately, release the key and continue to hold the several more minutes and then try to start the engine again. The chassis battery and house batteries on my coach are connected by a 8 AWG cable and 100 amp relay and not by 2 AWG jumper cables, so it takes a while to move a sufficient charge from one place to another. Now if the chassis battery is slowly turning the engine over, adding the house battery voltage and current may just be enough to start the engine. Your results may vary.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axis 24.1, charge, chassis battery, generator