RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 AM   #61
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I have a Hurricane, with 2 batteries. How long would it take the generator/charger to charge the batteries if they drop to about 11.4v. I have my AGS set for ~11.6 now but it was set too low from the factory. The batteries were low on water too. The gen runs for a little over an hour and seems like the batteries are draining pretty quickly for the light load I am putting on them ( house lights and sometimes the radio). Thinking the new batteries may be damaged already.
Need to know the capacity of the batteries - the resting voltage (you mentioned 11.4 but expect (hope) that is under load - as 11.4 resting is DEAD.) - and the output capacity (amps) of the charger/converter...
The resting voltage will allow you to approximate the percent of charge needed... Can then calculate how long it will take your converter to deliver that (of course some loss due to inefficiencies...)

As example - if voltage is 12.1-12.2 - roughly 50% charged depending on the source you look at... and the total capacity is 200amps (sum of the amps of the two 12v batteries connected in parallel) - we need to add half that - or about 100 amps... A 55amp converter will take at least 2 hours to do so...
__________________

__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:30 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
Posts: 233
THOR #6040
All details that I do not know. What is the equipment that functions as the charger for shore and generator power?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #63
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
All details that I do not know. What is the equipment that functions as the charger for shore and generator power?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
The converter is what charges the batteries from 110V - whether provided by shore power or generator. 55amp seems to be the common size there - so we can assume if you don't have the specs.

If there is a label readable on the batteries - should provide the amps. (You mentioned new battereis - so they should have a label).

Easiest way to get voltage is to run down to the point the genny kicks it - turn off genny- disconnect house batteries (use/store switch to store) - let the batteries rest a minute or so - and measure voltage at battery with voltmeter.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
Posts: 233
THOR #6040
I have a Xantrex Pro XM1800 Inverter, and there is no mention of charging amps in the manual. The Xantrex website has this under inverters, not their inverter/charger selections.

Is there another unit that is the converter?
__________________
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 333
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I have a Hurricane, with 2 batteries. How long would it take the generator/charger to charge the batteries if they drop to about 11.4v. I have my AGS set for ~11.6 now but it was set too low from the factory. The batteries were low on water too. The gen runs for a little over an hour and seems like the batteries are draining pretty quickly for the light load I am putting on them ( house lights and sometimes the radio). Thinking the new batteries may be damaged already.
When you say low, hopefully not below the plates. If possible make sure they are filled just below the bottom of the caps and hook up to some kind of shore power for a day of two just to get a full charge. When not on shore power volts shouldn't drop below 12.0 volts. To fully charge with Gen, it could take 2 of 3 hours. How long have you had these batteries and what kind?
__________________
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #66
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,448
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
Would 4 Trojan T125 240 amp batteries keep enough of a charge over night not to have the Generator start up? Not sure how to do the math on this one. Right now with the main fridge on and what ever small LED radio dash lights on I am using about 28 amps. With the TV, satellite, fridge and a few lights I am at 36 amps. With nothing on over night but the fridge the Generator starts up about every 3 hours for a hour. I need to try and get closer to 8 hours with no Gen. Would these batteries be close?
questions:
- what Size generator do your have
- what VOLTAGE is your AGS set to come on...
- what setting is your SHORE MAX set at

...the higher the Voltage setting for the AGS, the more often your generator will have to come on, the lower the number, such as 11.5 will mean less often for the generator overnight, but it could also mean not enough to battery power left to actually crank the generator. 12.5 could be too often... maybe 12 is good compromise...

...the higher the Shore Max setting, the more amps the Charger can use. If your generator provides 50amps of power, then you can allocate 40 to the Shore Max amps setting so that as much power is being used by the Charger for the batteries when the generator is running overnight. You can set this lower for the daytime, such as 20, so that the other items you are using, in conjunction with the Charger, don't trip the generator breaker when it's running...

also, the RUN TIME you set your AGS to will determine how long the generator runs each time... we have 4 6v batteries and I tend to use the 1/2hr setting for overnights since I would rather the generator not run as long each time ... it will typically provide another 3 to 6 hrs of usage, mainly for the fridge, before it has to run again ... you can also keep the water heater off overnight to save even more amps and battery time.
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
110,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )b
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
Posts: 233
THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
When you say low, hopefully not below the plates. If possible make sure they are filled just below the bottom of the caps and hook up to some kind of shore power for a day of two just to get a full charge. When not on shore power volts shouldn't drop below 12.0 volts. To fully charge with Gen, it could take 2 of 3 hours. How long have you had these batteries and what kind?

I have a new coach, and it did not sit on the dealer lot for a long time. Bought it a few weeks ago and currently I have it stored about 70 miles away so I don't have access to see it and verify details. Just this past weekend I verified the AGS unit settings, the factory had the voltage start set at ~10v, which is why the batteries got to ~11.4 while I was monitoring when or if the AGS would function (no AGS documentation was included in my manual bag - Thor has sent me a digital copy). The batteries took about a 12 ounces of water each to top off, visibility and access did not allow me to see the starting water level, I was happy to just get some water in them.

I drove the coach home - 6 hours, so the batteries were initially (with low water) able to charge for many hours. Recently, I don't think I have been giving them enough time to recharge sufficiently, yet I also do not think they should have been drawn down as much as they have. Everything, except perhaps the battery condition, seems to be working as it should - even if I am just slowly learning what that entails.



Where do you set the "shore max" amperage?
__________________
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 333
THOR #3789
Final set up

ok I did replace the 2 stock batteries with 4 t125 Trojans. Installed a AMP and WATT gage with a 100 amp shunt. Drilled hole through roof right beside the fridge for all solar wiring then down into my wet bay. 4x100 watt panels here is the kit I used. ECO-WORTHY BOAT SERIES:400w(4*100W) Solar Panel with PWM 45A Charge Controller |Eco-worthy I can always add to this kit later if needed (maybe to more panels). I used 3m double sided tape to hold down in place all right side be side then rubber roofing tape around each one so wind don't get under them. Zip tied all wiring down with outdoor zip ties and hold downs. I also put in a solar off or bypass switch just incase I ever have to work on batteries. So far the batteries are more than enough to make it through the night with out the generator starting up. Panels look to be enough to charge them back up over the day with out using to much power inside during the day. A 3 day test with no shore power with only a few lights on and off through out the night, the fridge, a few times heater kicked in, water pump and TV just during sun light. The generator never came on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 panels.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	3925   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	3926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	3927   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring tie down.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	3928  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	3929   Click image for larger version

Name:	on off switch.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	3930  

__________________
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
Looking good. We need to work on that cable coloring 😉 but all in all an awesome upgrade.
__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 611
THOR #4366
Looks good, don't know the Imp of the panels but typical 100 watt panels are 5.5 amps. So 5.5 amps X 4 panels is 22 amps which is a 5% rate of charge vs ideal of 10 to 13%. Should be good if your conservative on power use.
__________________
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd tranny
300 watts portable solar.
200 watts solar on the roof.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,841
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
ok I did replace the 2 stock batteries with 4 t125 Trojans. Installed a AMP and WATT gage with a 100 amp shunt. Drilled hole through roof right beside the fridge for all solar wiring then down into my wet bay. 4x100 watt panels here is the kit I used. ECO-WORTHY BOAT SERIES:400w(4*100W) Solar Panel with PWM 45A Charge Controller |Eco-worthy I can always add to this kit later if needed (maybe to more panels). I used 3m double sided tape to hold down in place all right side be side then rubber roofing tape around each one so wind don't get under them. Zip tied all wiring down with outdoor zip ties and hold downs. I also put in a solar off or bypass switch just incase I ever have to work on batteries. So far the batteries are more than enough to make it through the night with out the generator starting up. Panels look to be enough to charge them back up over the day with out using to much power inside during the day. A 3 day test with no shore power with only a few lights on and off through out the night, the fridge, a few times heater kicked in, water pump and TV just during sun light. The generator never came on.
Very nice results.

Shows that except for running air conditioners, traditional generators are not as necessary as they once were.
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×