Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2020, 05:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: California
THOR #18241
2015 Thor Windsport Leveling Jacks first then slideout or SlideOut first then level?

Hi,

We have a 2015 Thor Windsport with one long slide out.

Do you used the auto level jacks first then, use do the slide out OR do you used the slide out first, then use the auto level jacks. I've heard BOTH ways; which is correct and why?

Thanks for any feedback!

Michael

Old 03-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Personally I want my coach stable, levelers down before I run out the slides. I don’ t want my slides bouncing around anymore than they have to.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Level first, then extend the slide.

Puts the slide on a level playing field - don't want to stree the full wall slide any more by making it go uphill.

And never go on the Auto-leveling amusement park ride with the slide extended - use the Manual mode if you need to adjust level with the slide extended.

And welcome to the forum!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #4

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Agree with all the previous responses-our Aria owners manual specifically states to level first then extend the slides.
GVP
Old 03-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Concur with everything above - level first, then activate slide. I normally use auto-level, with perhaps some fine tuning with Manual. Depending on your site and how long you stay there, you may need to fine tune the level with Manual a time or two.

As a side note to this - does anyone "leverage" the angle when retracting? i.e. using the Manual levels to raise the slide side a degree or two in order for slide to retract "downhill"? Seems like that may remove some stress from the slide motors, but I could be totally off base.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
That ‘s an interesting idea pic of so. I usually have my coach pitched a bit to the black tank ( slide side ) to help the toilet drain. Maybe I should bring it up to run in slides
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeller View Post
Hi,
Do you used the auto level jacks first then, use do the slide out OR do you used the slide out first, then use the auto level jacks. I've heard BOTH ways; which is correct and why?
Thanks for any feedback!

Michael
From the LCI In-Wall Slide operators manual -

Extending Slide-Out Room

1. Level the unit. NOTE: In the case of a motorized unit, ignition MUST be off to operate the slide-out.

2. Remove the transit bars (if so equipped).

3. Press and hold the IN/OUT switch (Fig. 1B) in the OUT position until the room is fully extended and stops moving. NOTE: It is important to continue to press the slide-out switch for a few seconds after the room is fully extended until the motor shuts off. The control will sense that the room has stopped and will shut off the motor after a few seconds.
4. Release the switch, which will lock the room into position.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001602.pdf

Using the jacks - they operate in pairs with a common connection to ensure the MC's frame is not wracked (twisted). So, leveling the coach ensures the house is in the same position that it was when the slide was installed and leveled on the factory floor.
The procedure is different for coaches built with air suspension.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
As a side note to this - does anyone "leverage" the angle when retracting? i.e. using the Manual levels to raise the slide side a degree or two in order for slide to retract "downhill"? Seems like that may remove some stress from the slide motors, but I could be totally off base.
I've thought about his as we have a full wall slide with the kitchen and master bed on it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #9

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
In my case, I always want the slideout side of my Windsport to be tilted just SLIGHTLY off level so that rain water rolls off instead of toward the RV. I actually did the zero calibration on my levelers so that this happens when I use AUTO LEVEL. Works great!

And yes, always level first before extending the slide(s). Always retract the slide(s) while still level and then retract the levelers as the last step.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 34J
THOR #18241
Thank you for all the replies. It would make since to me too to level the motorhome first.

What a "Service Tech" said is even if your floor in level perhaps a corner of the coach is not level. One jack may be up to high and "twisting" the top frame of the motorhome, a bit, this put tension and stress on the corner of the body frames. This "twist" would put stress on the slides.

I would think the auto level would shake the heck out of the slide out, if the slide out was put out first.

Michael
Old 03-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies. It would make since to me too to level the motorhome first.

What a "Service Tech" said is even if your floor in level perhaps a corner of the coach is not level. One jack may be up to high and "twisting" the top frame of the motorhome, a bit, this put tension and stress on the corner of the body frames. This "twist" would put stress on the slides.

Michael
Even though the jacks ground singly, the jacks always go up in pairs (rear up, front up, left up, right up). When moving equal pressure is supplied to the jack pair. This is to prevent wracking of the frame and to take the wrack out of the frame if you are parked on a not so flat spot.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:12 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Leveling first makes a world of sense to me but interestingly, my Newmar owners manual says specifically to put the slides out first then level. They even issued a TSB saying you can level first if you first check the slides clearances where it recesses into the coach wall. But they nevertheless still recommend slides first. I still level first!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
My Thor Hurricane 34j manual specifically states “ Level first then extend the slide.”
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #14

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
My book says to level first. If you are off level too much, the chassis may be slightly twisted and this may cause your slide to bind when extending it.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:10 PM   #15

State: Ontario
THOR #5140
We level first with the auto level, then put an eight inch level on the floor and bump up the slide out side until the bubble in the level is about halfway across one of the middle level lines. The weight of the slide, when it is extended tends to bring the coach to a perfectly level position.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #16

State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have never noticed the levelness of the RV change when deploying the slide out if the leveling jacks are firmly grounded. However our slide out, though long, is not very deep. I agree with the poster above that during heavy, blowing rain, it is best to have the slide side slightly lower than perfectly level so water will drain away from the RV
Old 03-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #17

THOR #10043
We have a ‘17 Windsport with the super slide out, and the instructions on the control panel clearly read that we should level the rig before extending the slide.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:44 AM   #18

THOR #15490
Level,slide,level

First I never auto level always manual.. I get a better level that way and my coach isnt an extra 3 feet in the air. Second I level then slide then re-level as I camp alot on dirt and the shift of weight throws off the level as the slide extends.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:45 AM   #19

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for any feedback!

Michael
ALWAYS put your jacks down first unless you want to rip over your rig!!! Jacks down with engine on and parking brake. Once jacks level turn off ignition and extend slide. If not plugged into shore power put battery in Use before extending.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:10 AM   #20

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Agree. We manually level with engine on, then engine off and slide out.