Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Looking for advice on boosting wifi and verizon

I would like to get a easy to install equipment to boost CG WiFi and to boost my signal for my Verizon phone (hot spot) so we can use our Apple TV. Thank you.

KC

Old 07-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
there are certainly 'antenna boosters' and 'wifi signal boosters' and 'cellular signal boosters' out there, though it's hit or miss about 'which' ones might work best in 'which' situation you might find yourself in need of...as every campground is different, and every trip with cellular is different... you might be spending money chasing a problem that has no 'real' solution for every where you go...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

THOR #4735
any 'streaming' internet device is going to need a LOT of data, and a lot of SPEED, which many, if not most, campgrounds and rv parks don't 'have', and most don't 'allow'...

your cellular connection via your phone or cell hotspot or mifi device is your best friend, though without cell signal, that's also not always going to be available everywhere.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you download movies and TV series and YouTube videos to your phone before you leave home or when in proximity of good signal, you don't need a wifi connection to watch shows.
A bit of advance planning, about half an hour to download your perusal and you're set for weeks.

Unless needed for communication or a live performance you just can't wait to see, wifi is not needed as much as it is just dependant upon.

Unless you have unlimited fair speed data, you're headed for a $100 billing if you try to stream over your phone.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
LMG

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Florida
THOR #19218
Winegard 4G LTE

It wasn't cheap, but we put a ConnecT 2.0 4G LTE wifi extender on our 2018 Hurricane. We buy data in 10Gb increments from Winegard because both AT&T and Verizon limit it to a 5Gb plan (both offer their own hotspots with higher data limits which is just an annoying side comment). We can stream from it in most areas (we use an Amazon Firestick) but it eats thru the 10Gb at a pretty good clip.

Our primary concern was being able to make/receive calls on the road in isolated regions and it works fine for that and we can usually make the 10Gb last for the duration of our trips (mostly short 5 to 7 days).

Safe travels!

Lew

Old 07-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #6

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Take a look at otr mobile that’s what I use and very happy streaming Netflix amazon YouTube TV
Old 07-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #7

THOR #4735
we had a terrific truly UNLIMITED plan, with a NEATGEAR MiFi device, from NetBuddy.co ... but, unfortunately, it seems they're 'reached their maximum number of customers', and are not activating new accounts, or re-activating former accounts(like us)... sad.

at only $65 month, all taxes and fees included, and the ability to start/stop any month you wish - it was a very nice 'mifi' cellular AT&T device that kept us all online anytime and all the time, as long as we were in AT&T's network areas, which is fairly vast. All our computers, laptops, tablets, devices, and even our phones themselves could 'attach' to this wifi signal and not use our own phone's data plan, when we reduced to the 'min' 3gb plan when the device was active. https://netbuddy.co/

the reality is, though, there are a plentiful number of these 'secondary sellers' for these types of devices and plans thru AT&T and Verizon, mainly.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:11 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
Check out OTR Mobile. I have a grandfathered plan with AT&T and it is great. They now have a unlimited plan (no throttling) with T-Mobile for $80 a month. I have not tried T-Mobile but OTR seems to have good results along with good reviews. I have been really happy with their AT&T plan.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
I would like to get a easy to install equipment to boost CG WiFi and to boost my signal for my Verizon phone (hot spot) so we can use our Apple TV. Thank you.

KC

I’ve used WiFi extenders... while they work and help one problem - proximity to antennas - they do nothing to fix poor bandwidth at many campgrounds...
Still carry the unit, but hasn’t been used in years.

I use an AT&T Mobley (grandfathered plan) as primary... Hotspot on Verizon phone as backup. One of those has worked for me in all cases so far.

The Mobley serves as my ‘shop’ WiFi at home... detached and too far from router/extenders... and backup for when home Comcast service bites the dust as it did this week just before a call with a client’s VP...

As I rely on connectivity for that four letter word (work!) - typically have plans b, c, and d on standby for connectivity.
Managed to successfully work for up to 5 months on road with these options. (And DW using Netflix and game consoles)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Looking for advice on boosting wifi and verizon

The Winegard ConnecT 2 is the way to go after using it for the past 9 months or so. As a roof mounted unit it is going to have the best chance of picking up unobstructed signal.

I use AT&T and I am at a site that has no AT&T coverage on our phones but the ConnecT 2 is giving one bar of AT&T signal. The camp WiFi is not great but I picked up an Xfinity Hotspot with 3 bars of signal on the ConnecT 2. I have an Xfinity account so I was able to access it.

We streamed with YouTube TV last night and never had an issue.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #11

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
my last new I phone with Verizon I went with an unlimited plan and purchased a MIFI box, they also call them Jet Packs, they had two available, $100.00 and a $200.00 unit, I went with the better unit as it has a display screen, monthly bill for the service on the MIFI box is $17.00, any of the pay channels you are getting at home you will get with the MIFI box, only draw back is if your smart phone will not get a Verizon signal the MIFI box will also be affected, other wise its a great an simple package and I use it with the fire stick
Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
I installed a weboost signal amplifier for cellular. Then bought a visable all in unlimited data phone that is tethered to a wifi it isn't perfect but for $40 a month service it works. If you are interested there is a thread over on irv2. The weboost gave us streaming service where even text was hit and miss. And it keeps the wife happy on Facebook.
Quote:

KC
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #13

THOR #13932
So... About boosting....
I have three different boosters.
My 24.1 came with a we boost. It's all but useless unless it's actually touching my Verizon myfi (it used to be our only wifi source at home but it now lives in the rv) and then it's only slightly useful. If you have never had anything to compare to, they might seem like magic.
They aren't. They suck comparatively.

I also have a directional unit we bought for the house. Whatever the popular one is, I don't recall the name. It's their big house unit. Works well directionally. No bull, it'll change a signal from - 100 or whatever is super bad half bar, to a full on ZERO. - 30 is supposed to be good. $400 maybe $600
But
It's directional and loses almost everything if your 15 degrees off of the tower. Far worse than dialing in the rv TV antenna, but tower apps help a bit. And it's line of site so rolling hills might kill it. It has two antennas. You can swap the antennas so it doesn't have to be directional but I'm told you lose a bit of gain.

I have another that moves from car to car. It was bought to replace the ham system triangulation I don't remember the name of which cost $1,000 but let people follow me on-line before GPS. We ghost town a lot and are often on roads that haven't been roads since 1894.
It has permanent antennas on the cars we hook up a big cable a little cable and a mini USB. It takes seconds to swap.
Works nice. Expensive, and not a well known company. I haven't tried it in the rv yet. No reason to add two antennas to the rv, we download stuff to watch on our phones before we leave home. I'll try it eventually. It will work amazingly. The farther the TWO antennas are from one another the farther the reach. We accidently locked a tower up once because the booster latched on and wouldn't let it go. We don't think much about it and unless we're headed cross country seldom know which car it's currently living in.

If you're really interested in BOOSTERS, I'll go get pictures and names.

And
My myfi has a place to add two antennas on the back. Verizon carried them for less than a month years ago, but I looked them up last week on ebay or Amazon and there are lots of them available for 7 to 30 bucks.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:58 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Duckface, I think we may have had this discussion at the rally, the weboost in your MH is limited to a very narrow range by the FCC. There are other antennas but technically speaking would be illegal in a moving vehicle. I am perfectly happy with my weboost RV but I understood the limitations going into it. It gets us reasonably good internet and streaming access when we are in otherwise dead locations.
God Bless and safe travels, hope to see you at the next rally,
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #15

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I installed a weboost signal amplifier for cellular. Then bought a visable all in unlimited data phone that is tethered to a wifi it isn't perfect but for $40 a month service it works. If you are interested there is a thread over on irv2. The weboost gave us streaming service where even text was hit and miss. And it keeps the wife happy on Facebook.
We have the (Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 Long Range WiFi Repeater RV kit R36A/Tube-(U) N/AOA-2409-TF-Ant) to boost the (WiFi),

I also have the We-Boost that boost the (Cell Signal) wile driving down the road.. We have AT&T also use the Apple TV. the Camp Pro always works seamlessly, i highly recommend this. Why not use free WiFi if its available.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #16

THOR #13932
Yes, I sort of understand about the limitations and bands, thanks to you. You're one of the reasons I never installed the stronger units. The main reason is we advance download entertainment to our phone storage.
The op had asked about TV coverage so I went ahead and explained.

The unit which locked the tower is regulated by antenna size when moving. One looks like a credit card sitting on your dash, the other looks like the little pigtail antenna brick cell phones had mounted on the car glass.

When I type background and alternatives it's so readers will know the information I offer wasn't Google warrior tales and not based on singular items with no comparisons ever made.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #17

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Phone Storage,, not quite sure this is the platform for that conversation but suggest you look into that a bit,,,

I can only give (Real Life Experiences) I own and use both of the devices and can vouch for both, We-Boost great for Cell Service when the signal is weak traveling down the road, and Camp Pro great when the WiFi signal is weak sitting in a camp spot.
Hope this helps KCook. Private message me if you would like to chat about any one of these devices...
Old 07-23-2020, 11:58 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
I use a cell extender, the WeBoost system for RVs. It's never let me down even in places other folks can't get a bar of signal. I can use mine to hotspot my TV & other stuff; so far it works fine, even up in the Chisos Mountains of Big Bend, Tx! Verizon throttles hotspotting almost immediately & it may make u think you're not getting a good signal, but u probably are. I have both Verizon & Tmobile. Most of the time my Tmobile works out best & it has real unlimited data. Oh, & when I must have a real wifi to connect to something (like my printer), I can just hotspot one phone & use the other to connect to it like regular wifi & then I can use the printer or other tech that doesn't seem to recognize a hotspot by itself. Good luck & have fun!
Quote:

KC
Old 07-24-2020, 01:46 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
A lot of the newer units are coming equiped with a wineguard wifi extender

Winegard ConnecT 2.0 4G2 (WF2-435) 4G LTE and Wi-Fi Extender for RVs

Anyone have any experience with this unit
Old 07-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #20

THOR #19450
I've got the Wingard connect 2 in my Palazzo. It is a clunky system but works. It takes about 5 minutes to connect to the park and then everyone's devices connect automatically. Most parks kick you off or make you reconfigure each day. A nuisance but not bad. Parks vary but I do not believe it would be enough to stream anything at least stream it reliably. Most parks only have enough bandwidth for light emails, etc.

I've found, in my very short time Rv'ing, that you either buy a library of DVDs/Blu Rays on ebay on the cheap OR preload a laptop or other device with movies/shows before leaving home. Honestly, the dvd route is what we do. No lag or buffering but of course a limited selection!