Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2022, 06:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Texas
THOR #25110
Low Flow From A/C Aria MH

I recently bought a 2018 Aria 3401. On the Aria both A/Cs discharge into a common duct system in the ceiling. There is no access to the A/C units from the inside. Even with both units on high fan I don't get very much air flow from the discharges and the one over the kitchen puts out nothing. I called customer care and all they said was take it to a technician and he can call Thor for advice. She would not help me troubleshoot it.

Anyone out there experienced this or seen as post about it. I searched and couldn't find a relevant thread.

If I knew of a repair place that was experienced with this issue and that wouldn't keep my RV sitting for 2 or 3 months, I would be happy to pay someone to actually fix it.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBob View Post
I recently bought a 2018 Aria 3401. On the Aria both ACs discharge into a common duct system in the ceiling. There is no access to the AC units from the inside. Even with both units on high fan I don't get very much air flow from the discharges and the one over the kitchen puts out nothing. I called customer care and all they said was take it to a technician and he can call Thor for advice. She would not help me troubleshoot it.

Anyone out there experienced this or seen as post about it. I searched and couldn't find a relevant thread.

If I knew of a repair place that was experienced with this issue and that wouldn't keep my RV sitting for 2 or 3 months, I would be happy to pay someone to actually fix it.
Thanks
There is an air divider just above the chill grill. It is held in place by foam fit. It can move or be incorrectly installed. The installation instructions for your Coleman A/Cs show how it is to be installed and are available on line. There are many You-tube videos detailing how to improve duct air flow. You can remove the vents and using a bore-scope look for obstructions in the ducts.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:18 PM   #3

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
I recently bought a 2018 Aria 3401. On the Aria both ACs discharge into a common duct system in the ceiling. There is no access to the AC units from the inside. Even with both units on high fan I don't get very much air flow from the discharges and the one over the kitchen puts out nothing. I called customer care and all they said was take it to a technician and he can call Thor for advice. She would not help me troubleshoot it.

Thanks
Sir pictures of the inside of your a/c unit would help tremendously. On some models there are loovers on the a/c cover on the inside that if they are not closed will significantly decrease the amount of air moving thru the vents. These vents are left open to quickly cool down the room and then closed so the air is evenly distributed about the rv. Let us know what you find out and if you can take a picture and send it everyone will be able to help you further if need be.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I foil taped my divider and other gaps and very cold now
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #5

THOR #25110
Thanks. I did exactly that on my fifth wheel before. The challenge on my coach is there is no access to either A/C unit from inside the coach. The ceiling is smooth front to back. I'll climb on the roof and pull the cover to see what is accessible from above.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks. I did exactly that on my fifth wheel before. The challenge on my coach is there is no access to either AC unit from inside the coach. The ceiling is smooth front to back. I'll climb on the roof and pull the cover to see what is accessible from above.
So how does the return air get to the A/Cs?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:22 AM   #7

THOR #25110
There are return air ducts in the ceiling near the exterior walls. They are constructed the same way as the discharge ducts, channels in the foam insulation boards. There are four, small round grills in the ceiling, very similar to the discharge grills except they don’t swivel. I’m sure this id designed to reduce AC noise.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:41 PM   #8

THOR #25110
Here are photos of the ceiling. The vents down the center are discharges. The two close together on each side are return.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2600.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	36306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2599.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	36307  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	36308  
Old 02-28-2022, 07:48 PM   #9

State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Here are photos of the ceiling. The vents down the center are discharges. The two close together on each side are return.
Navy Chief??
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #10

THOR #25110
Fire
Old 11-12-2022, 04:21 AM   #11

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #2538
My unit has a similar system. the air flow isn't very high, but it gets cold. I don't know how to increase the air flow, but cleaning the return filters helped us alot. All cleaning of AC has to be performed from on the roof.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #12

THOR #25110
Thanks. I’ve checked/cleaned the coils above and “filters” below with no change. I found a leak in the ducts where a piece was not connected correctly and I’m working to seal that. I just finished having clear ceramic tint installed on all windows including the windshield. It will be next summer before we know if it was worth the cost. I have also figured how to add a third AC unit in the kitchen roof vent hole.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:59 PM   #13

THOR #2538
Is the low air flow from ALL the ducts or only some? Just wondering if something is stuck in the air plenum.

Lastly do you notice a difference in air volume running them on high vice low? Ours have decent volumes on high, low is cools the RV but doesn't keep up in 110 degree temps we experience here in the southwest.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #14

THOR #25110
It is all the ducts. There is a flow difference between low and high, but not much. I run it on high when battling high temperatures but it doesn’t help much. I think the third AC is the real answer. It will not go in the duct system, just dump cold air in the kitchen area
Old 11-13-2022, 04:41 PM   #15

THOR #2538
please let me know how that does. I may want to do the same.

Good luck.