Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Oneil

Out of my pocket, I had to end up getting rid of the Harris batteries in the first 4 months, went with CW's Exide Batteries...not a hitch since.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #62

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
Yeah,Oneilkeys, I have done all the noise fixes- gone from terrible to liveable...😨 .Also increased castor to improve stability. Just interested to see if the new ones have improved these issues from the factory. After living thru a noisy earlier Vegas, you will be a good judge.....
I will do some db checks on my way home from Tampa on I-75 and south on Route 1 and I'll post the results. Part of the results will depend on how badly it is aligned. I have already ordered the insulation for the engine compartment and doghouse and I will post the results after I finish insulating those. I would do that for the heat reduction alone, but my guess is that Thor has not done much more insulating. I hope I am wrong on this one.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #63

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil

Out of my pocket, I had to end up getting rid of the Harris batteries in the first 4 months, went with CW's Exide Batteries...not a hitch since.

Doc
Exides are good. I went with Walmart 29's because of the positive reviews and the fact that they have a two year no prorated warrantee that is honored all over the US and Canada. The 29's fit perfectly and add some additional amp hours. I paid for them out of pocket too. Used them hard for 4 1/2 months this summer and they still are as good as new.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #64

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
We'll be heading north on 75 to Tampa in our Vegas- wave as you pass !
Old 01-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #65

THOR #1765
Quote:
We'll be heading north on 75 to Tampa in our Vegas- wave as you pass !
Have fun at the show. It's great! Kind of disappointed in the "stuff" this year. Bet the Internet is effecting that.
We don't pick up our RV until next Friday. But you can see our new Axis at the show in the Camping World exhibit.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #66

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Just got back from CW of Statesville (a great group of techs, sales and mechanics) with our Theatre Seats replacements for the Sofa! What a difference. Did you see such as an option at the show? See attachments.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1452895038http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1452895480
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160115_16_44_13_Pro.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1285   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160115_16_45_37_Pro.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1286  

Name:	WP_20160115_17_01_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1287  

Old 01-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #67

THOR #1765
Quote:
Oneil,

Just got back from CW of Statesville (a great group of techs, sales and mechanics) with our Theatre Seats replacements for the Sofa! What a difference. Did you see such as an option at the show? See attachments.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1452895038http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1452895480
Those look wonderful. I did see several RV furniture dealers at the show, but we did not have time to look and shop.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:25 AM   #68

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3228
Oneilkeys, what was your impression of the ACE 29.2, compared to the Axis? I ask because my wife and I also looked at many Class A coaches under 30 feet at several dealers and at the Hershey RV show. Although we really, really wanted to like the Axis 24.1, when we try to imagine sitting at a campsite waiting out a couple of days of rain, it just felt a little too claustrophobic to us.

In the end, we've decided we like the ACE 29.2 for its living area, but it is longer than we'd really like. So we're leaning towards the ACE, but still gathering information and reading what folks like you have to report about the Axis 24.1.

Again, what would you like to share about your thoughts on the ACE vs the Axis?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:01 AM   #69

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Hawes View Post
Oneilkeys, what was your impression of the ACE 29.2, compared to the Axis? I ask because my wife and I also looked at many Class A coaches under 30 feet at several dealers and at the Hershey RV show. Although we really, really wanted to like the Axis 24.1, when we try to imagine sitting at a campsite waiting out a couple of days of rain, it just felt a little too claustrophobic to us.

In the end, we've decided we like the ACE 29.2 for its living area, but it is longer than we'd really like. So we're leaning towards the ACE, but still gathering information and reading what folks like you have to report about the Axis 24.1.

Again, what would you like to share about your thoughts on the ACE vs the Axis?
If you liked the 29.2, but it was a little long, you may love the new ACE 27.2. It is a new model and the only one in the US that I can find was at the show in the Camping World Tampa exhibit just to the left after you come out of the entrance building with all the 45' busses.

The 27.2 has both a couch and dinette across from each other. It has two slides with a Queen bed in the aft slide - width wise. The big negative for us was the fact that the bed folds to fit when the slide was in, making it impossible to use the bed unless the slide is out. My wife found the folded bed in the back unattractive and she did not like sitting on the couch and looking at the dinette legs across from her. However, the 27.2 is less than 29' and has a lot of space.

As far as a comparison of the Vegas and ACE are concerned, they "feel" very different. After two years and 25,000 miles, I am used to the E series chassis. The F-53 chassis of the ACE is 10" wider and a foot higher as well as the additional 3-4' longer (ACE 29.2). Because of the 19" tires (16" tires on the Vegas) and the higher floor, there are an additional two steps up into the ACE. The ACE is built on a 158" wheel base while the Vegas is built on a 188" wheelbase. I have not driven an ACE, but with the shorter wheelbase, longer body and higher profile, I don't think it will be as stable or as easy to drive. The extra width may compensate somewhat. The ACE is a full 8 1/2 feet wide (101") not counting the mirrors and fills up a lane.

We sat in the ACE 27.2 and the Georgetown 270s for a long time. We finally decided that for our lifestyle that the extra space was not worth the extra size and cost, especially giving up the king bed and being able to use the bed without extending the slide. As far as the 29.2 is concerned, we went in it, but it was too big for what we want.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #70

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3228
Thanks, Oneilkeys. The folding bed is also a deal breaker for us, which eliminated the AXIS 25.2, so the ACE 27.2 wouldn't be on our short list either. We did like the 27.1 however, even though it doesn't have both the dinette and couch, but the price is about the same as the 29.2 (not sure why) and it's only one foot shorter, so between those two the 29.2 still wins.

We really do not want to be pulling a toad as we meander the secondary roads of America, and the Axis 24.1 being four feet shorter is a better fit for the way we want to travel. That big difference, along with the much lower price, puts it high on our list. The trade-off is whether we would feel cramped after a while.

We have a few more months before making our decision, so I'll keep reading all I can in these and other forums and we'll spend more time seeing these at dealers before making a final decision.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #71

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Hawes View Post
Thanks, Oneilkeys. The folding bed is also a deal breaker for us, which eliminated the AXIS 25.2, so the ACE 27.2 wouldn't be on our short list either. We did like the 27.1 however, even though it doesn't have both the dinette and couch, but the price is about the same as the 29.2 (not sure why) and it's only one foot shorter, so between those two the 29.2 still wins.

We really do not want to be pulling a toad as we meander the secondary roads of America, and the Axis 24.1 being four feet shorter is a better fit for the way we want to travel. That big difference, along with the much lower price, puts it high on our list. The trade-off is whether we would feel cramped after a while.

We have a few more months before making our decision, so I'll keep reading all I can in these and other forums and we'll spend more time seeing these at dealers before making a final decision.
Exactly. Not pulling a toad is a big deal for us too. That is one big reason why we did not buy the ACE 27.2 or the Georgetown 270. In the last 8 years we have moved from a 20' Class B to a 22' Class C To the 25' Vegas. Every upgrade gave us things in the coach that made our RVing more enjoyable. But at the same time the extra length made some things more difficult or even impossible. I think that my wife is afraid that moving to the larger F-53 chassis will mean that I am not as willing to unplug and go out to dinner or stopping for lunch at some restaurants may be more difficult or impossible. Then you have to think about pulling a toad and I really do not want to do that.

As far as the "cramped" issue is concerned, all I can tell you is that in 2014 we lived in the Vegas for 2 1/2 months straight from Key Largo to Canada and back and then in 2104, we spend 4 1/2 months from Key Largo to Alaska and back. In our Class B, we used to last about 10 days before we checked into a motel for a night or two. On our Alaska trip there was only one night that we moteled and that was because our 30 amp shore power got fried at a camp ground in Canada and we did not have A/C for a night. The Vegas has proven big enough for us. I am not saying that it is big enough for everyone. I went to the RV show with enough in my pocket to purchase a 28 footer and I bought a new Axis instead.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #72

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
Hey, Oneilkeys - sat in your new motorhome in Tampa .... I did wipe my feet before going in...😏.

Also looked at a lot of other small class As - came to same conclusion as you did- too much bigger ( high, wide, etc) . Was impressed with the changes in the new 24.1 - bath doors, shower bar, and general fit and finish around the dash area ( pieces seem to fit now ...! ) I went and drove a 2016 Vegas today - didn't see a lot of difference in down- the -road stability ( but the NEW coach wheel was not straight and was pulling- so alignment was off), noise seemed a little better than my heavily sealed 2015, and ride seemed about the same. Liked the new 6 speed trans - shifted earlier than my 2015 - which kept noise down ..!!

Looked under the hood - and looks like the factory has done the sealing we had to do- pillars are sealed, sealing along bottom of dash panel, etc..

Did not trade mine for a 2016 ..... Yet....😄
Old 01-19-2016, 12:00 AM   #73

THOR #1765
Quote:
Hey, Oneilkeys - sat in your new motorhome in Tampa .... I did wipe my feet before going in...😏.

Also looked at a lot of other small class As - came to same conclusion as you did- too much bigger ( high, wide, etc) . Was impressed with the changes in the new 24.1 - bath doors, shower bar, and general fit and finish around the dash area ( pieces seem to fit now ...! ) I went and drove a 2016 Vegas today - didn't see a lot of difference in down- the -road stability ( but the NEW coach wheel was not straight and was pulling- so alignment was off), noise seemed a little better than my heavily sealed 2015, and ride seemed about the same. Liked the new 6 speed trans - shifted earlier than my 2015 - which kept noise down ..!!

Looked under the hood - and looks like the factory has done the sealing we had to do- pillars are sealed, sealing along bottom of dash panel, etc..

Did not trade mine for a 2016 ..... Yet....😄
Thanks for the comments. PMI scheduled on Thursday afternoon and sign the paperwork (hopefully) on Friday morning. Didn't see a lot wrong with the unit the several times we were in it. Hopefully that holds. Wife appreciates that you wiped your feet. She was freaking out about the thousands of people thru "her" RV.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #74

THOR #2142
warped wood.

Oneil,

Check the house batteries (I just hate those Harris ones) and check the wood grate that covers the air return to the heating unit under the fridge. Ours bowed out just weeks after using the heater the first time and they have to "make a new one" from scratch if you turn it in for replacement (still waiting). See attachment.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1453171126

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Warped cover.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1305  

Old 01-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #75
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We are taking delivery on an Axis 24.1 in a few days. Our trade in had a dinette...we have also had a couch, rather than dinette in a previous unit. We will get a couple small ottomans for when we relax on the couch when parked. I will be happy to have the couch back ! ... In addition,...I read a post where a person removed the couch and installed 2 recliners.

We looked at the Axis 25.2 at the KC RV Show last week...we were already leaning towards the 24.1..the floor plan being perfect for us. The bed in back and the slide ... we are down sizing from 31' ... as we enjoy being able to park just about anywhere...sure it is not as roomy...but, we have been restricted by inclement weather and always find something to do .. in addition...that bedroom has a tv in it !!

I appreciate reading all the feedback, good and bad !
Old 01-19-2016, 03:03 AM   #76

THOR #2142
VKB,

One if the reasons for the swap out of the couch for the recliners because it was hard to get laid back and comfortable to watch the TV.

Also changing of the couch to a bed was more "Transformer" than we wanted to go thru. Besides our two traveling companions - the two dogs - like their beds place between the driver and passanger seat and over the stairs (thread posted elsewhere on that mod)...so going thru the required "Transformer" procedures are not needed.

Welcome to the Vegas/Axis family and this Forum.

BTW: Never used bed and inflation mattress for sale...cheap.

Doc

Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 AM   #77
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Oneil,

Check the house batteries (I just hate those Harris ones) and check the wood grate that covers the air return to the heating unit under the fridge. Ours bowed out just weeks after using the heater the first time and they have to "make a new one" from scratch if you turn it in for replacement (still waiting). See attachment.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1453171126

Doc
The grate on my Challenger bowed as well. It's in for service and warranty work now.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #78

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The grate on my Challenger bowed as well. It's in for service and warranty work now.
Thanks for the tip.. I hate the Harris Batteries too. Replaced them wit 29's from Walmart before I went to Alaska last summer. They have worked great. I had not seen the grate problem. I will make sure to check it. Thanks.