Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Nope, nothing will help with those low tree branches! Another "low clearance" issue to consider is when traveling and checking into different CG's you are not familiar with. You can ask when you check in about trees and wires but that doesn't mean you won't hit one. If I am checking into a strange CG and it looks like there are a ton of trees and overhead electrical wires I will either walk to my assigned site first or if it is too far I will ask them to golf cart me to it.

Two different times I ran into issues by not doing this with my 5th wheel. Once we started down a CG road to get to our site that had branches so low a small Class C wouldn't have cleared, then another CG tried to put us in a site with a power line running across it that was probably 13' off the ground. Once you get above 10' in height with these things you have really got to be careful.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #22

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I think I'll buy a surplus aircraft terrain avoidance radar and mount it upside down.

Ken
Old 09-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I think I'll buy a surplus aircraft terrain avoidance radar and mount it upside down.

Ken
Just watch out for thunderstorms.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #24

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Just watch out for thunderstorms.
I think you're onto to something. It'll be a combo low clearance and thunder storm avoidance system.

I wonder how often bridges and overpass are really hit. I've seen in pictures and in person that is does happen. However, I have a lot of experience using GPS's to navigate the roads. My experience has taught me that you really can't trust them in a safety situation. I've seen them be wrong too many times. Having a GPS be my method of avoiding low clearances does not give me a feeling of security.

There is an overpass somewhere in this country (I have seen many videos of it) that trucks and RVs run into frequently in spite of numerous warning signs and flashing lights. So I guess that's not the answer either. The safest system would be to always follow (at a safe distance) a vehicle taller than yours. Since that's not practical, we are left with only one reasonable solution. Here it is:

If possible, start with planning ahead so you can be prepared for problem areas.

Be vigilant for and pay attention to approaching overpasses and other over the roads structures. Don't forget about power lines.

Pay attention to road signage, but don't trust it to be 100% accurate.

If there is any doubt in your mind at all, pull over, look it over, and, if possible, have an observer in your sight watch as you slowly go under it.

If paying attention to what you are doing is too difficult (I am sure everyone has seen proof that this apparently applies to a fair number of drivers), consider mounting one of those bright orange poles (used by lead oversize guide vehicles) on your front bumper. Make it somewhat taller than your vehicle. Hopefully, its presence will keep the potential danger in your mind. If there is any question, go under the obstruction slowly and stop at the slightest indication of pole movement.

If you do all this and still hit an overhead obstruction, please post a picture here so we can all tell you what you did wrong and make fun of you.

Ken
Old 09-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #25

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: New York
THOR #4585
Some of the brochures are online...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeskan View Post
With all said, I will measure, or get measured before the big trip out west at the end of this month. I still don't know where my "specs" are. Should it be part of the MSRP? General RV gave me a cut and paste MSRP, not the actual one. I'm after them for my original MSRP or next I'll be emailing Thor.

Good info here about bridges, how they may be measured, highest portion, etc. Thank you all. For now, I'll put 12' in Garmin for height, but will get the actual when I find someone to help me. ~debbie
I've found the brochures for my ACE on the web and have downloaded them as they have many of the pertinent specs all in one place such as height, width, length, capacities etc.

Suze
Old 09-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #26

THOR #4585
Garmin DEZL 760 - requires confirmation of specs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
One and all,

Which Garmin do you have that requests height?

Doc
when in RV mode the Garmin DEZL 760 LMT requests confirmation of already entered specs - only mode we've used LOL I was designed for truckers but also has car & RV settings with voice activation, lifetime maps and traffic. Its now discontinued but I was able to find one a couple of months ago. There are newer models but truckers didn't seem to like them as much.

It got us out of trouble when we exited to wrong ramp - got us back on the highway within a couple of minutes going down streets I would have hesitated about without it's guidance

We're pleased so far

Suze
Old 09-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #27

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Ag&Au,
The Garmin RV 760 uses the same database and software as the DEZL series that the commercial trucks use. I feel very confident and secure using it. The only difference is the POI content. DEZL shows truck stops. The 760RV shows RV repair shops and campgrounds.

The Garmin also asks for width, length and GVWR. I don't want to be going over any bridges that don't support the weight on my way to boon docking.

I would bet that those videos of folks that run into bridges and overpasses are of folks that don't plan or don't use the right GPS.

As usual. your milage may vary :-)
gerry
Old 09-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #28

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post
when in RV mode the Garmin DEZL 760 LMT requests confirmation of already entered specs - only mode we've used LOL I was designed for truckers but also has car & RV settings with voice activation, lifetime maps and traffic. Its now discontinued but I was able to find one a couple of months ago. There are newer models but truckers didn't seem to like them as much.

It got us out of trouble when we exited to wrong ramp - got us back on the highway within a couple of minutes going down streets I would have hesitated about without it's guidance

We're pleased so far

Suze
Have you figured out how to set the voice activation? I activated it by mistake once, so I know it is there, but I have not figured out how to get it to recognize my voice so I can give it commands? On an old Garmin I had, there was a way to set a recognition term to turn the voice activation on. I have not been able to find that on the 760?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #29

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

There is an overpass somewhere in this country (I have seen many videos of it) that trucks and RVs run into frequently in spite of numerous warning signs and flashing lights. So I guess that's not the answer either. The safest system would be to always follow (at a safe distance) a vehicle taller than yours. Since that's not practical, we are left with only one reasonable solution. Here it is:

.....cut....
Probably a different one, but in Houston there is one on I-45 just north of downtown between I-10 and 610 Loop that got hit regularly while I was commuting. It seemed like a monthly occurrence although it may have just seemed that way because of the traffic backups that came with these accidents. One I recall caused significant damage to the overpass.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #30

THOR #1765
I found the 760 manual on line and it tells how to set the voice command. My 760 warned me about 4 ton bridge load at Mesa Verde NP. Kept me from going down a road I should not have been on and having to turn around.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
....cut....

If paying attention to what you are doing is too difficult (I am sure everyone has seen proof that this apparently applies to a fair number of drivers), consider mounting one of those bright orange poles (used by lead oversize guide vehicles) on your front bumper. Make it somewhat taller than your vehicle. Hopefully, its presence will keep the potential danger in your mind. If there is any question, go under the obstruction slowly and stop at the slightest indication of pole movement.

If you do all this and still hit an overhead obstruction, please post a picture here so we can all tell you what you did wrong and make fun of you.

Ken
With present technology, it would be easy and inexpensive to mount a camera at the highest point aimed forward. That way you won't even have to get out to see whether you will clear that overpass, power line, or tree branch.

And soon I expect autonomous driving computers will have the image of that camera analyzed for us, and brake before RV collides with ... whatever it is we will hit.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #32

THOR #4585
Voice activation Garmin Dezl 760 - Call her "Samantha"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Have you figured out how to set the voice activation? I activated it by mistake once, so I know it is there, but I have not figured out how to get it to recognize my voice so I can give it commands? On an old Garmin I had, there was a way to set a recognition term to turn the voice activation on. I have not been able to find that on the 760?
I have only activated by accident- LOL

It seems that "her" name is Samantha" ; if i say something that starts with the sam.. sound she will come on & like SIRI tell what I can ask her. It seems she was "on" by default. We're usually busy telling her "exit" " exit" as she seems to get activated when there is a change in highway upcoming LOL

We like having it as an option but the whole thing is pretty new so we haven't fully explored it.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #33

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
With present technology, it would be easy and inexpensive to mount a camera at the highest point aimed forward. That way you won't even have to get out to see whether you will clear that overpass, power line, or tree branch.

And soon I expect autonomous driving computers will have the image of that camera analyzed for us, and brake before RV collides with ... whatever it is we will hit.
Good idea. I have also thought of mounting a camera on the top of the ladder that could be remotely aimed from the passenger seat. There's plenty on room on our counsel for a small screen to be mounted.

Ken