Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Do you own a THOR ACE 30.x?

Hi Folks,
I sent a PM to an ACE 30.4 owner asking about the need for 2 A/C's.
(Thank you jetbob for the quick response)
He was very clear that the unit absolutely needs 2 A/Cs. Explaining that they no longer ship them with a single for that reason

Wanted to see if anyone had anything they wanted to add.

The folks at El Monte Rv are selling a former RoadBear RV, and they only used ones with a single AC. The sales person is telling me they wouldn't purchase them this way if it didn't work. Also claimed that no renter ever complained that it was under A/Ced.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
G

Old 01-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I have a Hurricane 31Z with two a/c units and they are no match for the Texas summer heat. They don’t cycle, run all the time. I would never get a MH with one a/c. But I do live in the south.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #3

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
We have a 30.2 (2015) and at that time they only came with one A/C. We added another with it's own cord, but it does not run through the 30A power grid--only works when there is either a 50A (I use a 50 to 30 & 20 A splitter) or a 30A and a separate 20A on the pedestal. New models have 2 A/C's and 50A power supply.
YES, in a coach that size you do need two A/C's as pretty everywhere you might travel in the lower 48 will reach high enough temps that one A/C can not keep up barring full shade cover.
You didn't ask, but I'd hesitate to buy a used coach that was a rental unit. They take a great deal of abuse from inexperienced renters.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #14308
I have a 2018 ACE 30.2 with two AC units. On a warm day you need both. As to buying a rental, i have a slightly different opinion. My first was a 30' class C which i bought from El Monte RV in Dublin, Ca. Kept it for 7 years and never had a problem. I read somewhere once, a new motorhome was in the shop 22 times on average working out the bugs. I thought, this is probably and exaggeration. Boy was i wrong. My Ace had so many workmanship issues, it would have been in at least 22 times. Working with THOR customer service, i fixed all the problems myself. Someone who buys a rental is spared all of those issues
Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
You will need two ac's. I have an Axis 25.2 and I did the same as ArrrV. Works great and easy to do.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t think this has an easy pat answer. Certainly there is little or no downside to having two ACs and it’s clearly to be preferred if you spend most of your time in very hot sunny places. My 32 foot Fleetwood only had one and it was ok for us. We were in 96 degrees full sun and high humidity one trip and it couldn’t really keep up - low to mid 80s inside - but as soon as the sun went down we were fine (for sleeping). Most of out travels though have been fine. We don’t typically sit inside all day anyway.

Depending on how (and where) you camp I wouldn’t let the issue decide me on purchasing an otherwise desirable coach. You should be able to add a second unit, if there is an unused ceiling vent, for less than $1000. It will need to be plugged separately into the 20A outlet on the campground pedestal and you likely won’t be able to run both units at the same time on the generator if you boondock but it’s an option. We use a portable AC in our bedroom at home so we don’t have to keep the whole house cool all night. It cost under $300 at Lowe’s and I’ve had in mind to take it in the RV if we ever need it but so far have not.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #7

THOR #17673
Great replies. Thank you!!!

ArrrV, what kind of cost did you incur to add an additional A/C? I had thought about this as an option, but figured running a wire down to where the other electrical connections are would be difficult to do cleanly, and/or at a reasonable cost.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Cost for second AC

Cost will depend on the AC unit you pick, we picked a 15,000 non-ducted unit. Our labor was less than 3 hours. Our ACE had a power vent in the bedroom, so just removal of vent, install of new unit--wiring was already present because it was a powered vent and the cord was run through the top and down the back corner avoiding our full wall slide. Best money we spent to date. All in under $1000. Only thing I would have changed is that the AC is loud, might have tried to find a quieter one, but focus was on efficiency and weight and being low profile..... The AC is nice and cold!! Probably saved our marriage on those long hot travel days (and nights!)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #9

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
So, a question for the group. We live in the Phoenix area. Our dealer quoted "around $2,500 to $3,000" to install a second AC in our 31-foot Class C. The rear bedroom already has a power vent/fan assembly. I see two of responders stating it should cost no more than $1,000. So, where would someone recommend I check (other than our dealer) for a more reasonable install quote in our area? Also, it probably depends on what kind of AC unit - we do not want a ducted AC, but do want a separate thermostat. The dealer said they would run a separate 20 amp line with outside plug - our unit is a 30-amp with a 4000 Onen generator.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:41 PM   #10

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
So, a question for the group. We live in the Phoenix area. Our dealer quoted "around $2,500 to $3,000" to install a second AC in our 31-foot Class C. The rear bedroom already has a power vent/fan assembly. I see two of responders stating it should cost no more than $1,000. So, where would someone recommend I check (other than our dealer) for a more reasonable install quote in our area? Also, it probably depends on what kind of AC unit - we do not want a ducted AC, but do want a separate thermostat. The dealer said they would run a separate 20 amp line with outside plug - our unit is a 30-amp with a 4000 Onen generator.

I think it would be difficult to justify $3000 even at a dealer. The air conditioner itself, depending on the model you choose, shouldn’t cost more than $600 and it just assembles through the existing skylight so there’s no cutting or fabrication involved. It might take a couple of hours of labor to hide the wire In the ceiling and wall but truly I can’t see how the whole process could take more than three or four hours. If you want a wall mounted thermostat that might take another hour or two but I wouldn’t bother. The one on the ceiling mounted unit works well and really you’re just wanting to help the main ducted one that IS controlled by the wall stat. Even if they charge $1000 for the unit and use two guys it’d be hard to spend even $2000. IMHO. Find an independent RV repair shop and discuss it with them. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #12011
We have a 2018 ACE 30.4 with dual A/C’s. Highly recommended to have 2 A/C’s in this unit if you’re going to be anywhere over 85 degrees or so. The insulation is not the best, and we find that 1 unit cannot keep it cool. Plus, you get a 50 Amp power setup, which is nice. This was the only option on our model in 2018, I believe. At night, we like running the forward unit so we don’t have the unit in the bedroom keeping us awake.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #12

THOR #6671
Thank you - that is a helpful response. I will seek another provider .....
Old 01-09-2020, 12:12 AM   #13

THOR #16214
RE: 2 AC. I recently replaced the roof on my 35' Thor Motorhome. I peeled the rubber off, and replaced all of the 4x8 sheets of ply. I removed the AC over the bed, and put a 2 way fan in its' place. I can pull air in or blow air out. And I can open the vent anytime. It took extra weight off my roof, and the front AC is strong enough here in California.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #14

THOR #15515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
I only have about $700.00 in mine. But I did it myself. Very easy. Running and hiding the wire is the hardest part.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #15

THOR #6826
Knowledge is power. My son just bought a new Tacoma pickup truck. The dealer quoted him $1400 to install a trailer hitch. We bought a Drawtite from Etrailer for $114 and installed it in about a half an hour. Spent another $50 on a plug and play wiring harness.

If you’re handy and/or have a handy friend you could install your own air conditioner. The most challenging part might be hoisting the thing to the roof!
Old 01-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #16

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Adding to Pete'sMH. It also depends on "life style". As I'm the outside type, by the time I'm inside the sun is down. After sundown 1 A/C should deliver. My wife stays in the front of the unit, (with A/C). not a problem. Not saying there are times we need 2, but 1 meets 94% of our needs.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #17

THOR #15515
So far we haven't used our 2nd one a lot (mostly to get it cooled down). But when we need it we need it. Another thing to consider is if one goes out you have another.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
So far we haven't used our 2nd one a lot (mostly to get it cooled down). But when we need it we need it. Another thing to consider is if one goes out you have another.

If you've ever worn "green clothes", stood in a chow line for an hour just to eat a crappy, half-cooked meal and actually started believing the "TI" really was your Mother, Father, Sister and Brother....you understand what "Two Is One, One Is None" means! Two A/C's is a must...JMHO.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #19

THOR #6671
Thanks you all for your contributions and insights. Definitely looking at alternate route other than the dealer.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #20

THOR #17673
As the O/P on this post I wanted to thank everyone that contributed!!!
We ended up buying a 30.3 with 2 A/C's at a dealership in phoenix. It was a 2019 with only 4,200 miles.
We wish we could use it more right now...
thanks again!