Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2020, 01:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Aria 3601
State: Nevada
THOR #8091
RV park tv hook up

I just purchased a 2017 Aria 3601. I see that the RV park tv hook up is in the same compartment as the external AC cable. I’ve hook the coaxial cable from the coach to the park tv connector but my question is how do you get the tv’s in the coach to receive the signal? I also have an external TV antenna on the roof and no idea how that connects either. I have switching devices for DVD, SAT tv that work but nothing noting operations of the over the air or RV park tv. The owners manual is a joke.

I thank you for your time.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Turn off the OTA Antenna Amplifier power (push button and may have LED light) and scan for cable channels on the TVs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:27 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Cool

First - WELCOME to the forum.

After you attach the cable from the campground, you'll need to locate the switch that turns off the rooftop antenna's amplifier. Button in = amplifier ON. Button out = OFF. It will look similar to the picture attached. Next, call up the menu on the TV. Change the input from "air" to "cable". Then select "auto scan" and the TV will do the rest. You'll also need to do the same menu steps on any other TVs.

Good luck! Glad you found this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Booster is On.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	23398  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:29 AM   #4

THOR #8091
I see the switch your referring to. Is that all there is to it? There’s a empty coaxial cable plug next to the switch. Does a cable need to run from the panel to tv source switching box? If so, the switching box only has HDMI inputs.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:38 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
That should be all there is to it. The cable (coaxial) runs through a splitter and to each TV, separate from the HDMI for satellite or blue ray. So the antenna booster should be on for over the air, off for cable. And as stated above, you will need to search for available channels on each TV.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:45 AM   #6

THOR #8091
Great information. I’ll give it a try. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:02 AM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Plus you'll need to follow these steps every time you relocate or switch inputs.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #8

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
First - WELCOME to the forum.

After you attach the cable from the campground, you'll need to locate the switch that turns off the rooftop antenna's amplifier. Button in = amplifier ON. Button out = OFF. It will look similar to the picture attached. Next, call up the menu on the TV. Change the input from "air" to "cable". Then select "auto scan" and the TV will do the rest. You'll also need to do the same menu steps on any other TVs.

Good luck! Glad you found this forum.

I did the above after months of trying to get it to work. The step I didn’t realize was needed is the “auto scan”. So let’s say you want to go back to your antenna....you will need to “auto scan “ again.
Welcome to the forum. Everything I know about my MH came from here.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Plus you'll need to follow these steps every time you relocate or switch inputs.

Agreed. Our 2019 Aria 4000 runs the same way.
GVP
Old 04-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Wink

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I did the above after months of trying to get it to work. The step I didn’t realize was needed is the “auto scan”. So let’s say you want to go back to your antenna....you will need to “auto scan “ again.
Welcome to the forum. Everything I know about my MH came from here.

while that's 'close' to how it works, if you are at the same location, there is no need to 'rescan' between INPUTS, if you've already scanned for those channels previously.
I think what you meant to say was, when you move to a DIFFERENT location, such as a different city or state, you'll need to 'rescan' for each OTA or CABLE input, as they are different in different areas.

Now, the same applies if you watch Satellite TV, thru a portable roof antenna, or such, and you also want to see 'LOCAL' channels over the air, thru your OTA antenna... you switch your TV's 'INPUT' to 'AIR', then 'scan' to pick up the local channels. Once you've done this, though, you can switch your TV's input from your Satellite 'HDMI' input to the 'TV' input and switch between them both, as you wish.

These types of TV viewing can be a little confusing when you first start because you are dealing with many different 'systems' that are not all from the same factory and designed to work together. The Entertainment 'box', simply an INPUT switching box, is designed to help you do that, but even then it can be a little daunting.

for OTA, for LOCAL signals from your own roof air antenna:
A) the 'box' must have your desired TV set to 'AIR' or 'OTA' (or similar name)
B) the 'box' must be ON, or you must have the wall coax plate pushed ON, depending on your model's design
C) you must then set your TV's INPUT to 'AIR'
D) you must then 'scan' for the Local over-the-air Channels

for CABLE, from the rv park or campground:
A) the 'box' must have your desired TV set to 'CABLE'
B) the 'box' must NOT be ON, since a cable signal will NOT need to be powered
C) you must have a coax cable connected between the park's coax connector and your RV's coax connector, sometimes located in the 'wet bay' or even on the outside wall, or similar place.
D) you must then set your TV's INPUT to 'CABLE'
E) then SCAN for channels

for SATELLITE:
A) Satellite will depend on your 'type' of antenna, and where you use it
B) A factory-mounted, or use of a factory-provided pre-wired, ROOF mount will typically be fed down into the same cabinet with the 'entertainment switch box', but those of us who use a 'portable' antenna may just run our own coax cable from the antenna, sometimes set out on the ground, to within the RV in various ways.
C) the incoming Satellite coax cable must go directly to a RECEIVER, it cannot go thru splitters, or generally even an entertainment 'box'
D) the RECEIVER processes the signal and provides a HDMI output, generally, to the TV
E) the RECEIVER is then set to 'acquire' the satellite(s), and download the channels
F) the TV 'INPUT' is set to HDMI to see the channels

for any of these situations, or ALL of these situation at the same time, you can switch between any of these viewing options with your TV'S 'INPUT' button or setting, toggling between 'AIR', 'CABLE', or 'HDMI', if you so need to.
While some of us will contact our satellite provider to 'update' our Local location, so that we might can see 'LOCAL' channels via the satellite channels, if you don't do that, you can still see your LOCALS, over-the-air, or thru CABLE, if you have that option.
We find that using the OTA option when storms block the viewing of satellite channels a nice option, even if only for a little while until the satellites are in view again, or simply because some LOCAL channels tend to have a focus on what 'weather' is happening right now in THAT area. Some channels are also ONLY available in certain places OTA, like 'ME TV' and some others that don't allow the satellite companies to spot broadcast them in regions where local OTA providers are already in play. I Love my 'ME TV'!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
The only other discussion item regarding cable hook-up is: QAM tuner

Some cable signals at RV parks require a QAM tuner to view the digital TV

Seiki TVs, a low-end brand, do not have a QAM tuner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D160ECCB-C34A-41A7-98F9-915301B1C7AB.jpeg