Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2023, 05:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: New Hampshire
THOR #21604
Thor Aria wet Basement floor replacement

Has anyone done the basement floor replacement themselves? Would like to hear your thoughts on the best way to do the work. What works and what doesn't. I would prefer to have the work done by someone but based upon the quality of the warranty work I had done, I should be able to do a much better job. thanks.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #2

Model: Venetian T42
State: Wisconsin
THOR #25098
Hello! We had to replace the basement floor in our 2017 Venetian. Wasn't hard, but did take some time. I've attached some pics.
We replaced the wood with treated and completely sealed all the sections all the way around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220628_123421.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	42367   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220628_123417.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	42368  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220702_160220.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	42369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220702_180614.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	42370  

Old 06-13-2023, 02:21 PM   #3

THOR #21604
Thanks for your response. How did the plywood go to the white color? Is it paint or an overlay?
Old 06-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #4

Model: Venetian T42
State: Wisconsin
THOR #25098
Its an overlay. You can get it at about any home improvement store. Its like a shower liner. Its usually by where they keep their paneling.
I used the adhesive thats made to glue that overlay material to wood. Worked very well!
Old 06-13-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcumbridge View Post
Its an overlay. You can get it at about any home improvement store. Its like a shower liner. Its usually by where they keep their paneling.
I used the adhesive thats made to glue that overlay material to wood. Worked very well!
That's a good looking result. Job well done!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:26 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's a good looking result. Job well done!

He did! Slick and clean looking!
Old 06-13-2023, 08:48 PM   #7

State: Maryland
THOR #16222
Thor basement floor replacement

I replaced two full storage bays on mine with 3/4" solid PVC sheet, available from Home Depot or Lowes. It is like the Azek product, but a different brand that is available in the large sheets. I bought it in 4'x8' sheets and cut it to fit. It has a pebble grain finish on one side that matches the original finish. It is much stronger than the original plywood and can never rot.

The hardest part was the removal of the old plywood. I found that using an automotive floor jack worked easily from underneath to push it up and break it free. Then I removed the fasteners with vice grips. If they break off, just unscrew from the bottom by gripping the threads.

I cleaned the metal of old caulking and rust, repainted it with Rustoleum, and put down new caulk roll bedding like the original (from Amazon). I screwed in the panels from underneath through the existing screw holes (instead of from the top), so it has a nice clean and smooth finish on the top. I used stainless steel screws. Then coated the underside of the pvc sheets with spray undercoating, just for looks.

It is much better and stronger than new! And, it will never fail.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:36 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
they should have put that stuff in from the factory
i am lucky

my floor in the tuscany is still in great shape,

no leaks or overfills in long time

i like the CLEAN look of those panels
Old 06-17-2023, 09:18 PM   #9

Model: Venetian M37
State: Texas
THOR #10920
Did you every determine where the bay leaks were coming from?

Great looking replacement flooring
Old 06-18-2023, 06:25 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #7950
I had to replace two sheets of the bottom flooring in 2018 tho aria. Took it dealer told me 30,400 dollars 153 hours. Took to factory in Elkhart 1,200 dollars 4 hours to repair. I think I saved a lot of money
Old 06-22-2023, 03:06 PM   #11

THOR #21604
When did you take it to the factory? I've read (on another website) the owner took his Aria back to the factory 3 times and it still leaks??

I also took the factory tour in 2021 and they said Thor changed the floor design in late 2020 to fix the wet basement issue. Anyone with a 2021+ Aria have a wet basement?
Old 06-26-2023, 12:56 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #7950
I took my 2018 Thor aria in April of this. Year. I have learned to. Always take. Your rv to Thor factory for major repair. It will. Save you thousands of dollars. Like I said dealer 30,400 dollars Factoy 1,200 dolllars.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:48 AM   #13

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captwayne View Post
When did you take it to the factory? I've read (on another website) the owner took his Aria back to the factory 3 times and it still leaks??

I also took the factory tour in 2021 and they said Thor changed the floor design in late 2020 to fix the wet basement issue. Anyone with a 2021+ Aria have a wet basement?
2021 Aria and yes. Thor sent new floor material. They now use a compost floor. Zero wood.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:50 AM   #14

THOR #22245
Quote:
Has anyone done the basement floor replacement themselves? Would like to hear your thoughts on the best way to do the work. What works and what doesn't. I would prefer to have the work done by someone but based upon the quality of the warranty work I had done, I should be able to do a much better job. thanks.
Get in touch with Thor. Send pictures to the customer service folks. They sent me new floor materials. Not wood but a composite material that will not absorb water.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:02 PM   #15

THOR #21604
Wet basement issue for Thor Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Get in touch with Thor. Send pictures to the customer service folks. They sent me new floor materials. Not wood but a composite material that will not absorb water.
Did you do the work yourself? If so, any hints on how to do it. My wet basement is only in the first basement compartment located behind the passenger tire on the right side.

I plan to take out the old flooring, clean out all the old caulk, clean the steel, paint it, put down a heavy layer of caulk put down the new flooring and again caulk all joints.

In dealing with Thor, I have not been very successful. After about 5 e-mails and 6 follow up phone calls with leaving messages, still have no response about the flooring. They take a message, say they will check on status and let me know. Nothing happens!
Old 06-28-2023, 05:06 PM   #16

THOR #21604
Quote:
Hello! We had to replace the basement floor in our 2017 Venetian. Wasn't hard, but did take some time. I've attached some pics.
We replaced the wood with treated and completely sealed all the sections all the way around.
Did you do anything special to the bottom side of the wood? The side facing the roadway.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:15 PM   #17

THOR #22245
Quote:
Did you do the work yourself? If so, any hints on how to do it. My wet basement is only in the first basement compartment located behind the passenger tire on the right side.

I plan to take out the old flooring, clean out all the old caulk, clean the steel, paint it, put down a heavy layer of caulk put down the new flooring and again caulk all joints.

In dealing with Thor, I have not been very successful. After about 5 e-mails and 6 follow up phone calls with leaving messages, still have no response about the flooring. They take a message, say they will check on status and let me know. Nothing happens!
Not my experience. I never call just went though CS contact on their website. I then get a follow up email from a CS rep and go from there. Every issue I had has been done this way and every issue addressed quickly and to my
Satisfaction. The new flooring is NOT a wood product. Thor sent it
To me under good will. There is another thread that the guy did the same. Flex seal caulking and tape. The tape especially there you
Drill the s ld tapping screws. Make sure you send the screws through the tape and it will seal. The other guy also put mud flaps behind the front wheels. His was also that front passenger compartment.