Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2022, 10:17 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #27120
Would you buy a Challenger?

Anybody out there willing to share their experience with their Challenger? We are considering a new 37 FH.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #20099
2018 Challenger 37TB

I have 2018 Ford Thor Challenger 37TB...bunk bed style...39 foot Class A

Its not the fastest on the road but we love ours...

We did have many bugs that I had to work out but that was no issue for me since I'm retired and have time to work on it.

Thor has a great customer service which I give 5 stars to them....they help me out in every step of the way
Old 06-14-2022, 04:19 PM   #3

THOR #27120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earleyb02 View Post
I have 2018 Ford Thor Challenger 37TB...bunk bed style...39 foot Class A

Its not the fastest on the road but we love ours...

We did have many bugs that I had to work out but that was no issue for me since I'm retired and have time to work on it.

Thor has a great customer service which I give 5 stars to them....they help me out in every step of the way
What type of issues did you have? Was it still under warranty when you had your issues? Was your local dealer able to take care of your issues or did they demand that you take it back to where it was purchased for repair?
Old 06-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
We’ve owned a Challenger 37kt since 2016. Love the floor plan, but we have had some issues. Mostly with the full slide. Replaced 3 slide cables, and the slide gearbox. The gearbox was operator error that was the result of mis instructions from the dealer. Big slide operates different than two smaller slides.

Replaced the Lippert lift pump two years ago and the water valve last year. In spite of these issues and some minor ones, we’ve enjoyed the unit.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:48 PM   #5

THOR #27120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
We’ve owned a Challenger 37kt since 2016. Love the floor plan, but we have had some issues. Mostly with the full slide. Replaced 3 slide cables, and the slide gearbox. The gearbox was operator error that was the result of mis instructions from the dealer. Big slide operates different than two smaller slides.

Replaced the Lippert lift pump two years ago and the water valve last year. In spite of these issues and some minor ones, we’ve enjoyed the unit.
I was unaware that they used a cable slide setup. Are all of the slides the same or do they also use Schwintec slides as well? Do you know if they still use the same slide systems on their new models?
Old 06-14-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Had a 2015 Challenger 37ND for 5 years. No issues during that time. 3 Schwintek slides and no, nada, zero problems with the exception of a loose cable during the shakedown and Thor reimbursed for a mobile tech.

If I was in the market for another gasser I would consider another Challenger but only one without the full wall slide. After all of the negative issues going back to 2014 it amazes me how anyone would consider a Thor full wall slide unit of any model.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:25 PM   #7

THOR #27120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Had a 2015 Challenger 37ND for 5 years. No issues during that time. 3 Schwintek slides and no, nada, zero problems with the exception of a loose cable during the shakedown and Thor reimbursed for a mobile tech.

If I was in the market for another gasser I would consider another Challenger but only one without the full wall slide. After all of the negative issues going back to 2014 it amazes me how anyone would consider a Thor full wall slide unit of any model.
I was unaware of full wall slide issues. Have they done anything to remedy the situation?
Old 06-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #8

State: Minnesota
THOR #25584
Bought 2021 35mq Challenger last year. Have had some issues but I think there are very few of any brands that comes off the line with nothing wrong. Love the new V8. I shopped for price and bought bumber to bumber extended warranty. Suspension is very good now compared older F53s. Learning to use Manual transmission mode which has increased my gas mileage significantly.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:47 PM   #9

THOR #27120
Is anyone willing to share where they purchased their unit and what they paid?
Old 06-14-2022, 06:09 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkman View Post
I was unaware of full wall slide issues. Have they done anything to remedy the situation?
To be honest, no they haven’t. Thor’s full wall slides are too big for rack and pinion systems.

Read about all the problems with the Omni/Magnitude. And another company has come around to taks your money to fix Thor’s problem for you. The company is Vroom.

On my prior Challenger all three slides were under 13 feet in length so they didn’t have a problem. 13 feet is the max recommended length for any slide using a rack and pinion system.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:14 PM   #11

THOR #27120
Quote:
To be honest, no they haven’t. Thor’s full wall slides are too big for rack and pinion systems.

Read about all the problems with the Omni/Magnitude. And another company has come around to taks your money to fix Thor’s problem for you. The company is Vroom.

On my prior Challenger all three slides were under 13 feet in length so they didn’t have a problem. 13 feet is the max recommended length for any slide using a rack and pinion system.
I saw a 2022 Challenger 37 FH and it looked like a Vroom system, not sure though. It had black tracks on the slide not silver like my Class C. It also had 2 tracks on top of the slide and one at the bottom. Maybe they have addressed the issue?
Old 06-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I saw a 2022 Challenger 37 FH and it looked like a Vroom system, not sure though. It had black tracks on the slide not silver like my Class C. It also had 2 tracks on top of the slide and one at the bottom. Maybe they have addressed the issue?
That’s the triple track solution Thor came up with in 2014/2015 for the large slides. It didn’t work because there are still issues and problems. Color of tracks has no bearing, my Challenger’s were black.

Thor is not installing Vroom. They won’t spend the addition money.

My 37ND with black tracks

Click image for larger version

Name:	80CB8CC6-F263-445C-9695-4CE13AF40785.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	38107
Old 06-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #13

THOR #27120
Quote:
That’s the triple track solution Thor came up with in 2014/2015 for the large slides. It didn’t work because there are still issues and problems. Color of tracks has no bearing, my Challenger’s were black.

Thor is not installing Vroom. They won’t spend the addition money.
For what they charge these days, Vroom should come standard.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
For what they charge these days, Vroom should come standard.
No it shouldn’t. Thor should use the correct slide system for the size and function of the slide.

Vroom in nothing more than a band aid for improper use of a Schwintek slide system.

Vroom is another Schwintek based system. Read about the limitations of these slide systems. Vroom is going to have their failures down the road.

IMHO, full wall or large slides should use a true rack and pinion ( floor mounted) or power gear system. Again, my opinion.

My current rig has 1 Schwintek, 1 power gear and one floor lever rack and pinion slide.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #15

THOR #27120
Quote:
No it shouldn’t. Thor should use the correct slide system for the size and function of the slide.

Vroom in nothing more than a band aid for improper use of a rack and pinion slide system.
Good point.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #16

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Vroom is another rack and pinion system. Read about the limitations of rack and pinion slide systems. Vroom is going to have their failures down the road.
And you base this opinion on what data?

Have you seen the actual parts side by side with the Schwintek Mechanism to see both the design and component differences?

The failure points on the Schwintek Mechanism are easy to identify and LCI refuses to do anything about it because the RV manufacturers all use it and they get all the additional money from replacement parts as they fail out of warranty. What's the motivation to fix a cash cow?

Vroom is not a band-aid but a complete redesign of this type of mechanism. All of the failure points of the Scwintek Mechanism have been removed and redesigned with components that are built for heavy duty service. There is a reason Tiffin is now sending their customers to Vroom to address Schwintek slide issues.

I have yet to hear of one Vroom failure yet.... not saying there hasn't been one but I have not seen one published online in any of the forums or from others I have spoke with who have had Vroom Installed.

I have had zero issues with my slide now in 6 months after three issues with the Schwintek Mechanism in less than 18 months. Hell... I now put the slide in any out as much as I want because I am no longer worried about failures in a few duty cycles.

I would be willing to wager a $100 bet with you that Vroom failures / issues are a fraction of Scwintek failures over the next 12 months.... or pick your time frame. It would be like taking candy from a baby......
Old 06-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Good point.

I beg to differ with Dave's opinion..... he's had no personal experience with a Vroom slide mechanism and he hasn't even seen the individual components and how they have been designed and manufactured.

Read some of my posts and other about the Vroom Slide Mechanism.

Tiffin is now sending Vroom their customers who have issues with Schwintek Slides and want a better and more reliable slide.

LCI and Thor won't do anything because they make lots of money on out of warranty parts and dealers make lots of money replacing Schwintek parts our if warranty.

I didn't want to spend $2500 for a reliable slide mechanism that should have been on these coaches from day one.... but it is the best money I have ever spent on a coach hands down.

All that being said, if you buy a coach with a full-wall slide and it is a Schwintek Slide Mechanism, you will need to be prepared for potential issues at some point.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:07 PM   #18

THOR #27120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
And you base this opinion on what data?

Have you seen the actual parts side by side with the Schwintek Mechanism to see both the design and component differences?

The failure points on the Schwintek Mechanism are easy to identify and LCI refuses to do anything about it because the RV manufacturers all use it and they get all the additional money from replacement parts as they fail out of warranty. What's the motivation to fix a cash cow?

Vroom is not a band-aid but a complete redesign of this type of mechanism. All of the failure points of the Scwintek Mechanism have been removed and redesigned with components that are built for heavy duty service. There is a reason Tiffin is now sending their customers to Vroom to address Schwintek slide issues.

I have yet to hear of one Vroom failure yet. I have had zero issues with my slide now in 6 months after three issues with the Schwintek Mechanism in less than 18 months.

I would be willing to wager a $100 bet with you that Vroom failures / issues are a fraction of Scwintek failures over the next 12 months. It would be like taking candy from a baby......
Does anybody know a ballpark figure on what it might cost to replace all Schwintec slides with Vroom on a 37 FH? It is crazy that one should have to consider replacing their slide systems on a new RV, but that might be what I do should I purchase a 37 FH.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #19

THOR #27120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I beg to differ with Dave's opinion..... he's had no personal experience with a Vroom slide mechanism and he hasn't even seen the individual components and how they have been designed and manufactured.

Read some of my posts and other about the Vroom Slide Mechanism.

Tiffin is now sending Vroom their customers who have issues with Schwintek Slides and want a better and more reliable slide.

LCI and Thor won't do anything because they make lots of money on out of warranty parts and dealers make lots of money replacing Schwintek parts our if warranty.

I didn't want to spend $2500 for a reliable slide mechanism that should have been on these coaches from day one.... but it is the best money I have ever spent on a coach hands down.
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Does anybody know a ballpark figure on what it might cost to replace all Schwintec slides with Vroom on a 37 FH? It is crazy that one should have to consider replacing their slide systems on a new RV, but that might be what I do should I purchase a 37 FH.
Inflation has driven up the cost of a full-wall Vroom slide from $2500 to ~$3000 now.

I would not necessarily worry too much about a very small or light slide (like a slide for the head of the bed). The Schwintek Mechanism is decent for lighter and smaller slides.

But if you want peace of mind and money is no object, replacing them all would be an option. They may work with you on a price to do all the slides at one time.