Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2022, 11:55 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My e450 cutaway does not have an airbag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like this. It doesn't fail. It's right there. Like, right there.
Smooth slightly resistant swivel.

And
The mount I made from these.

Metal disk on back of phone and these.
These are not goof-around type magnets.

I'll also post three holders I have that use those rubbery microgrip pads and a link.

I haven't found a worthwhile commercial phone mount. I've tried dozens.
The steering wheel option is out for me, because I like to have my phone plugged in, plus I would not like it being upside or rotating constantly as I turn the steering wheel.

The magnets if they are as strong as I am reading may solve my problem.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:03 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The steering wheel option is out for me, because I like to have my phone plugged in, plus I would not like it being upside or rotating constantly as I turn the steering wheel.

The magnets if they are as strong as I am reading may solve my problem.
The phone does NOT rotate with that holder.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:07 AM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I fell that any on an "arm" will never work well in an RV. The one I have sits on top/center of MY DASH AREA (not the entire dash), has stayed in place and holds the phone well. It has 2 problems though:

It only holds the phone horizontal
It is no longer available on Amazon

A current one that works similarly is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Loncaster-Sil...dp/B07TZSC1P3/

For $12 bucks it may be worth a try.

I never rely on suction type holders by themselves. For anything that uses a suction holder I use some craft glue like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028DC0W8

With the suction cup to semi-permanently mount it. It's water soluble even after drying so it can be easily removed from both the vehicle as well as the suction cup.
Thanks, I got the craft glue in my cart. It seems like something I could use for other things as well. As long as it can be cleaned from the dashboard. I had a guy wanting to sell his 2019 29VE to me but he had drilled holes in dashboard in several places for all kinds of crap including his iPhone. I hate iPhones although everyone in my family but me has one Now to be fair my wife has Android like me, but her iPhone is work phone.

I need more thought on the dashboard mount though, it would have to be on the dashboard behind steering wheel and I am not sure I would like that? Especially with the USB -C cord running up there. Mounting it on the radio which is flat; is too far of a reach, although if you look at my steering wheel you can see my wireless remote control that controls both my phone and radio. A MOD that I knew absolutely nothing about until I learned from "The Duck". It is one of my favorites!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-24-2022, 12:16 AM   #24

THOR #13058
Quote:
The phone does NOT rotate with that holder.
Let me be sure I am talking the right thing?

I am thinking this holder posted by the Duck

So what I saw it mounts on the steering wheel, so if Magnet is on steering wheel and you mount the phone horizontal, all ma be fine until you start driving and as you turn would the phone also rotate? As the phone rotate wouldn't the display also jump back and forth between Horizontal & Vertical views? That was my thought anyway. Additionally, I keep my phone powered up with USB - C wire when driving and I could not do that very well if it were mounted on Steering wheel.

With that said a magnet may work for me if I can mount a magnet inside my existing holder and simply not use it's clamping mechanism. My fear is that it may be too strong and I pull the holder off it's suction base? But glue you recommended nay solve that problem.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:21 AM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
Wife and I each have one. Dozens of cell phone holders over the years in various configurations. We both agree the magnetic stuff has proven to be our favorite. Easy to grab off the holder and resecure with ease. Similar setups in our other vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B097T...b_b_asin_titleAttachment 35791
I have ordered one of these for further evaluation. It is very close to design of what I have now but perhaps a more secure clamp/hold of the phone itself to the holder. If you look at my F-53 chassis I have a small side vertical space that is perfect for a suction holder that will fit.

I am still looking at other options as I may buy 3 to see which is the best for my application.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:23 AM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Let me be sure I am talking the right thing?

I am thinking this holder posted by the Duck

So what I saw it mounts on the steering wheel, so if Magnet is on steering wheel and you mount the phone horizontal, all ma be fine until you start driving and as you turn would the phone also rotate? As the phone rotate wouldn't the display also jump back and forth between Horizontal & Vertical views? That was my thought anyway. Additionally, I keep my phone powered up with USB - C wire when driving and I could not do that very well if it were mounted on Steering wheel.

With that said a magnet may work for me if I can mount a magnet inside my existing holder and simply not use it's clamping mechanism. My fear is that it may be too strong and I pull the holder off it's suction base? But glue you recommended nay solve that problem.
It is a bearing mount. The phone stays as you put it. Look at this picture:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:47 AM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
It is a bearing mount. The phone stays as you put it. Look at this picture:

Got it. That looks unbelievable to me I looked for it but could not find it at any of my usual reliable online companies.

I watched a video and noticed that it is constantly moving just due to the vibration, it may not fall off; but I can see it just spinning like crazy with rough roads unless I turn off the Auto Rotate ; which I would hate to have to do, I still think in an RV this gets annoying over time.

But the bearing design has my attention. I have no idea of cost, but even if it worked as advertised, I still don't think I would want to have it running without the wired power cord? The USB-c wire around the steering wheel is a risk I would like to avoid. You would have to careful if you had a panic and need to hit the horn.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:46 AM   #28

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My rotatable steering wheel mount works as it should.
No shaking ot swiveling.
I have the one I posted on the rv right now,

Except for occasionally catching my sleeve on my 5/8"+-thick quadruple phone battery/case and knocking the phone loose, there's been no problem. Standard thin phone doesn't have that problem.

It is not exclusively for steering wheel
But
The adhesive is stronger than any I've seen. It might not come off without heat.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:35 AM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
My rotatable steering wheel mount works as it should.
No shaking ot swiveling.
I have the one I posted on the rv right now,

Except for occasionally catching my sleeve on my 5/8"+-thick quadruple phone battery/case and knocking the phone loose, there's been no problem. Standard thin phone doesn't have that problem.

It is not exclusively for steering wheel
But
The adhesive is stronger than any I've seen. It might not come off without heat.
What does it cost? I can't find them.

How do you keep your phone charged?

Yes I would likely not want on steering wheel so the bearing feature while neat would nor be needed. The regular magnets you referenced would do for me. My only question at that point would be reach. Look at my picture again, dashboard behind steering wheel wheel, dashboard on top radio and the little space to the left of radio are only logical spots for my configuration. The arm units are neat because they can be pointed / extended for closer reach. If the magnets are that strong that is all I need and my existing will be perfect
Old 01-24-2022, 03:42 AM   #30

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Magnetz come in different strengths. The pounds means weight they'll pick up/hold.
Those 100lb units are too strong for the phone.
25lbs sounds like a lot but it's blink still too much. If it's too much, slight thickness of felt cuts it considerably.

I use the 100lb magnets to hold welding curtains and car covers in place.
Two of these 100's will snap blood blisters on you before you can blink.
I need tools to get two of them apart.

There are also puck magnets. These little guys are really strong.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnets-Refri...s%2C338&sr=8-5

Using these will allow you to add magnets until you get the pull just as you like.
They are what I use for drawer catches and such.
Hot glue or uv for prototyping, superglue when you're sure.

I gotza lotza magnetz.

Pics tomorrow.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:58 AM   #31

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Magnetz come in different strengths. The pounds means weight they'll pick up/hold.
Those 100lb units are too strong for the phone.
Order some 25lb ones.
25lbs sounds like a lot. If it's too much, slight thickness of felt cuts it considerably.

I use the 100lb magnets to hold welding curtains and cat covers in place.
If you have a silicone rubber case, you can stick the metal plate inside the case... but that reduced the magnetic force too much on mine. It didn't hold up to bumpy roads.

I suggest searching Amazon for Neodymium magnets. Get a few different sizes/strengths. "Test stick" them to your favorite existing phone mount. Reduce magnetic force as needed by putting layers between magnet and metal plate.

When you find the perfect combination, epoxy the magnet to your phone holder.

P.S. I don't like the "arm extension" type holders... they jiggled too much for me. Drove me bonkers... or I just haven't found a rigid enough one yet.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:12 AM   #32

THOR #16721
Here's the thin metal plate on back of my phone case. It's been on there for close to a year now. I think it has 3M adhesive... just cleaned with alcohol and stuck on.

I can't even tell it's there... as far as looks, I'm more about utility than vanity.

It's actually more shiny than it looks... pics seem to accentuate scratches too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220124_040542205.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	35799  
Old 01-24-2022, 04:29 AM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
Quote:
This is intriguing... few questions.

1. I assume it will stick to my Samsung S20 as it is with no cover or no need to add a magnet on back of of Samsung S20?

2. How strong is the pivot arm? In your application you have the arms down but in my case I would want the arm upright so it is closer to me as driver (see my picture earlier) My worry is will it get loose over time and cause the phone to keep drooping down even though the magnet holds it?
Current configuration, zero issues with holders losening from dash.

We have Samsung S20s with protective cases. A 3M circular metal plate affixed to the back of the case allows the phone/case to remain secure. Can view and retain both vertically and horizontally. Our 3M circular metal plates are mounted low enough on the cases to also allow for wireless charging on our wireless charging pads (mount does not provide wireless charging - separate device).

Key to the suction base stuff is a clean, smooth surface for base. Top of the center dash on Vegas is smooth plastic and prime suction base.

Sure happy with this design.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:33 AM   #34

THOR #20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If you have a silicone rubber case, you can stick the metal plate inside the case... but that reduced the magnetic force too much on mine. It didn't hold up to bumpy roads.

I suggest searching Amazon for Neodymium magnets. Get a few different sizes/strengths. "Test stick" them to your favorite existing phone mount. Reduce magnetic force as needed by putting layers between magnet and metal plate.

When you find the perfect combination, epoxy the magnet to your phone holder.

P.S. I don't like the "arm extension" type holders... they jiggled too much for me. Drove me bonkers... or I just haven't found a rigid enough one yet.
Zero jigging. Super stable and strong.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:01 AM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
Current configuration, zero issues with holders losening from dash.

We have Samsung S20s with protective cases. A 3M circular metal plate affixed to the back of the case allows the phone/case to remain secure. Can view and retain both vertically and horizontally. Our 3M circular metal plates are mounted low enough on the cases to also allow for wireless charging on our wireless charging pads (mount does not provide wireless charging - separate device).

Key to the suction base stuff is a clean, smooth surface for base. Top of the center dash on Vegas is smooth plastic and prime suction base.

Sure happy with this design.
I have Samsung S20

So the key here is I will need to get a case. Right now I don't have any. In the past I have seen them in rubber or hard plastic. Does it matter for the 3m Circular metal plate to stick? I have ordered one of your holders. Odd that the phone itself will not stick to the magnet.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:29 AM   #36

THOR #13058
So I have order the Scotch Tacky Glue recommended by The ACE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028DC0W8...hk_typ_imgToDp

and I have ordered a case. The case is suppose to work with magnets and has it's own stand? I will see. Maybe there is a better case, but at $11.99 why not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PSC2V68...hk_typ_imgToDp

Because I am going to mount suction on a vertical (non flat surface) I think the Tacky Glue will give me more strength? I could try without the glue to see how long it last, if it fails try again using the glue?

So I am out about $50 so far; still using money not spent on Viair
Old 01-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #37

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Two month lead time on Amazon? Looks good but I'll pass.
That means it's coming from China
Old 01-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #38

THOR #16721
Quote:
So I have order the Scotch Tacky Glue recommended by The ACE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028DC0W8...hk_typ_imgToDp

and I have ordered a case. The case is suppose to work with magnets and has it's own stand? I will see. Maybe there is a better case, but at $11.99 why not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PSC2V68...hk_typ_imgToDp

Because I am going to mount suction on a vertical (non flat surface) I think the Tacky Glue will give me more strength? I could try without the glue to see how long it last, if it fails try again using the glue?

So I am out about $50 so far; still using money not spent on Viair
That case looks like a knock-off of the Body Glove case I had on my old Galaxy Note. I liked it... the little nubs on the edges made for easy pocket retrieval.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is there anything wrong with just using a WeatherTech phone holder?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #40

THOR #20441
Quote:
I have Samsung S20

So the key here is I will need to get a case. Right now I don't have any. In the past I have seen them in rubber or hard plastic. Does it matter for the 3m Circular metal plate to stick? I have ordered one of your holders. Odd that the phone itself will not stick to the magnet.
The phone holder will come with the metal adhesive circular disk for the back of a case. You can stick that directly to the back of your phone (body of the Samsung S20. We always put cases on our phones so that is why we went with adhesive circular disk on case. Actually affixing directly to your phone would reduce weight of phone on holder so that may be desirable.

Fairly certain if you properly clean the surface area where your new suction mount attaches and properly affix the adhesive circular disk (on case or phone), you will be pleased with its ability, durability and functionality.