Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2023, 07:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Voltage regulator for 12 volt system

I recently installed two MaxxAir fans. From what I read, the two biggest failures of them are overvoltage to the motors, and moisture shorting an unprotected main circuit board.

The moisture problem seems to be an easy fix... a few coats of conformal coating.

The overvoltage could be solved using a 5 amp 12 volt regulator for each fan.

Then I got to thinking... why not just regulate the 12 volts being supplied to the entire fuse panel? Then any voltage sensitive device would never get the potential 13 - 14 volts in the system?

Any suggestions welcome... how many amps need to be accounted for in regulating the entire 12 volt house panel... and is this really worth the effort? Next is cost. ???

Old 06-12-2023, 10:18 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I recently installed two MaxxAir fans. From what I read, the two biggest failures of them are overvoltage to the motors, and moisture shorting an unprotected main circuit board.

The moisture problem seems to be an easy fix... a few coats of conformal coating.

The overvoltage could be solved using a 5 amp 12 volt regulator for each fan.

Then I got to thinking... why not just regulate the 12 volts being supplied to the entire fuse panel? Then any voltage sensitive device would never get the potential 13 - 14 volts in the system?

Any suggestions welcome... how many amps need to be accounted for in regulating the entire 12 volt house panel... and is this really worth the effort? Next is cost. ???
I believe you were previously told all 12 volt items are normally rated to 20 volts, and normal FLA charging voltage can easily be 14.5 to 15 volts. It's a non-problem. Not sure where you heard those "old wives tales".
Old 06-13-2023, 12:56 AM   #3

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
I believe you were previously told all 12 volt items are normally rated to 20 volts, and normal FLA charging voltage can easily be 14.5 to 15 volts. It's a non-problem. Not sure where you heard those "old wives tales".
Documented and known problem from many owners... MaxxAir fan main boards historically go bonkers and usually fry at voltages as low as 13.5 volts. Allegedly this issue has been fixed on newer fans... but who knows for sure? All I know is for the price, these fans should have a built in regulator AND conformal coated electronics... I mean seriously... it's in an RV!

That's my motivation to address both issues... even before the warranty expires.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:08 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Documented and known problem from many owners... MaxxAir fan main boards historically go bonkers and usually fry at voltages as low as 13.5 volts. Allegedly this issue has been fixed on newer fans... but who knows for sure? All I know is for the price, these fans should have a built in regulator AND conformal coated electronics... I mean seriously... it's in an RV!

That's my motivation to address both issues... even before the warranty expires.
The alternator probably is voltage regulated to 14.2-14.3 volts with no load. Generally the engine will draw 5-9 amps allowing the alternator output to 13.9 volts or so. Even lower voltage if the batteries need charging. Typically Thor MC use a 50 amp CB in the house battery system to protect the AWG #6 wire. Your converter can ramp up to 14.2 volts in charging well discharged batteries. Typically it puts out 13.1 - 13.5 volts depending on the converter's temperature unless you have a remote battery temperature probe. You can buy a 12 volt to 12 volt converter in many watts sizes to provide a stable voltage.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:49 AM   #5

THOR #16721
In my lithium upgrade I ran 6AWG from a busbar to the 12 volt house fuse panel. I usually don't leave the inverter/charger on since the solar charge controller is also feeding the batteries through that busbar.

The Li-BIM will also dump alternator power into that busbar... occasionally.

So the battery voltage seems like it's always going to be 13+ volts to the fans... likely more. Does that seem like a plausible assumption??

I'm wondering if I could install a regulator in the 6AWG cable between the busbar and fuse panel. I realize even 14 volts won't cause any issues with anything else... it's JUST the fans. Or is this overkill??

The other option is to install relatively cheap 12v 5amp regulators directly in the fan circuits.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I have 3 MaxxAir fans in my RV and lithium batteries. No issues with "overvoltage" causing problems on anything.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I have 3 MaxxAir fans in my RV and lithium batteries. No issues with "overvoltage" causing problems on anything.
Thanks! That's reassuring to hear. I just happened to run across a few videos detailing those two "problems". I'm just trying to be proactive. Which ones do you have? I got the ones with all the bells & whistles - remote, thermostat, etc. Maybe it's those that are prone? I don't think motors are the problem... it's the circuits that handle all the other stuff.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Tuscany has 3 MaxAir 10 speed, power lift fans.

When the alternator voltage regulator failed several years ago we experienced high voltage several times before a replacement arrived.

Luckily, there are no issues with any 12v equipment
Old 06-13-2023, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks! That's reassuring to hear. I just happened to run across a few videos detailing those two "problems". I'm just trying to be proactive. Which ones do you have? I got the ones with all the bells & whistles - remote, thermostat, etc. Maybe it's those that are prone? I don't think motors are the problem... it's the circuits that handle all the other stuff.
Low end 3/4 speed, manual crank, no thermostat fans.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:27 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
all my maxxair fan failures...three I think... were the gearbox and motor related...not circuit board

(this was written while knocking on wood...)