Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2022, 05:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
generator removal

after 2 years of full time, we removed our generator. we never in two years used it. it was not that difficult. less weight without it, will make a storage compartment out of the space it occupied. we are almost always boondocking, no hook ups. there is a good YouTube video on how to -

Note: I did not cut the output wires as brian did in his video. I removed the wire / cable from the junction box under the RV.

reason for this post -
anyone else remove theirs? why? how's it going without it?
your thoughts on removing it?
what to do with generator now? for sale?

we are very happy with our RV / Home; Very happy with full time RV life; Very happy with info received on this forum, thanks.

I did a search on generator removal and didnt see anything about it. if you come up with a search that does, please tell me how I can too.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
In my world, the generator is a necessity if "we are almost always boondocking, no hook ups." We'd run the A/C with it and use it to charge the batteries.

Without it there is no A/C and the engine is the only battery charging source unless you have solar. Propane would also be used at a much faster rate.

Might as well remove the A/C to save weight as well - just replace it with a vent.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Certainly a great way to reduce the benefits of owning/using a motorhome

Also an excellent way to significantly reduce value immediately
Old 12-30-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Certainly a great way to reduce the benefits of owning/using a motorhome

Also an excellent way to significantly reduce value immediately
Amen
Old 12-30-2022, 03:32 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I couldn't do without a generator. It's the first and foremost requirement for me in a motorhome. We'll soon be down sizing very soon (leaning heavy towards the Leisure Van Unity with rear lounger setup) and the 1st requirement is a fuel powered generator...even on the smallest motorhomes. Boondocking a lot without a generator seems like a lot of unnecessary work and stress. What will you use the space for that's more important for boondocking than the generator itself? How will you keep the unit cool during the blazing hot, humiid summer nights?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 04:16 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I like the OP and Tito have never used my generator in two years of rustic camping in the NE. But I never would remove it. For 90% of potential resale buyers it is an essential item.

David
Old 12-30-2022, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Ok all you experts, why doesn’t RV manufacturing offer an option to purchase a motor home without a generator?

Most used motorhomes have so few hours on the generators resulting in more issues than benefits.

Contrary to the self-proclaimed experts there are folks that don’t need, use or want a generator.

Personally I applaud the OP for modifying a rig to fit their needs and who cares what someone else thinks.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:42 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
There are some that install composting toilets as well.

Back in the day, buying a school bus and making it into a motor home was very popular, although everyone I ever saw had a generator hanging off the back

Bread trucks as well were converted to the camper's lifestyle or type of camping for a cheaper motor home

And there is a trend to be able to buy a plain white motor home so maybe your right why not leave out the generator

Just as a personal note I have only noticed two experts on the forum in total since Duck left
Old 12-30-2022, 04:48 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
And if the OP is “almost always boondocking, no hook ups”…

Then they can also reduce weight & add storage by removing the Micro/Convection oven as well.

We’ve seen another on this Forum who removed the Micro/Convection to suit their personal needs.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:03 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
In the 90's we had a class B Coachman that had a generator option. We were second owners of the vehicle and the original owners opted not to add the genny when they bought the rig new.
Fast forward to when we traded it in on a new MH. The dealer told us we would have gotten an extra 2 grand for the B if it had a genset.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
In the 90's we had a class B Coachman that had a generator option. We were second owners of the vehicle and the original owners opted not to add the genny when they bought the rig new.
Fast forward to when we traded it in on a new MH. The dealer told us we would have gotten an extra 2 grand for the B if it had a genset.
When we traded in our Class C I was told FBP would have gotten us an extra 1k. FBP when we bought it was a 5k option. Same with the leveling jacks option we passed on.

How much was that generator option when that class b was purchased new?
Old 12-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Ok all you experts, why doesn’t RV manufacturing offer an option to purchase a motor home without a generator?

Most used motorhomes have so few hours on the generators resulting in more issues than benefits.

Contrary to the self-proclaimed experts there are folks that don’t need, use or want a generator.

Personally I applaud the OP for modifying a rig to fit their needs and who cares what someone else thinks.
The OP must "care what someone else thinks"...they asked that exact question in their post.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:04 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
who cares what someone else thinks.
As previously mentioned, I would say both the seller and buyer care when negotiating a purchase price when it's time to move on. The financing institution may also care. Certainly NADA does.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:49 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
My 1st thought, is to hear from you on how you survived without?

i.e are you saying if temperatures exceeds 80 degrees you will just rough it? what about 90, 100 or 105?

How have you managed to keep your batteries over 12.2 - 12.4vdc when no shore power was available? Are you saying when needing a charge you always had plenty of sun and plenty of time to wait for charge? Do you just run engine?

My 2nd thought is that given you have not needed or used in 2 years it may be good to remove because unless it was prepped for long term storage; it probably will not work or be hassle to start anyway. If you were trying to sell the RV, the prospective buyer might be suspicious of the low hours if any, and if it does not run efficiently they may move on.

But I admire your RV Blasphemy It is / was your right. You may think I am a wacko because I don't have Solar. I have gone 3 years and have never needed Solar. Difference is my RV came with no Solar, it didn't even have one of those crappy prewired solar controllers.

Thanks for sharing, and if you are ever in Dallas boondocking and it gets hot, let me know and I will drive the RV down, run duct to your coach, fire up my 5500, turn on the ACs.

All kidding aside, I suspect if I ever get a RV with no AC, it will be one of the future new WBGO models that run everything off Lithium, it may even have solar. Point is I apply the Liberty Mutual approach, only buy what I need.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:50 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
after 2 years of full time, we removed our generator. we never in two years used it. .....cut....

If you “never” used it, do not plan to change camping/boondocking habits/conditions, and plan to keep your motorhome for many more years, then I think removing the generator comes down to a personal judgment call. I think it is similar to owners who have removed an oven they never used, and converted space to additional kitchen storage.

As discussed many times on this forum, new technologies make replacement (elimination) of a generator possible with exception of powering air conditioner(s) without shore power for extended periods.

Most campers boondocking in the south in hot weather where they need air conditioning will likely want a generator. Those who camp in cool or moderate weather or go from campground to campground with shore power can easily do without one. It all depends on individual requirements.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:47 PM   #16

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
thanks all for your thoughts. Please keep them coming.
our thoughts on your thoughts thus far:
looks like the only real concern for those in favor of having a generator is running the AC and resale.

responding specifically to :
DKoldman - from the start we have had solar (400w), a dc-dc charger, 3000w inverter, 2 100amp lithium batteries. lots more but that is the significant source of our power. when we acquired the RV, we ran the gen to verify it worked, being naive expected we would be using it. Upon removal verified it still starts and runs well, and have dried out the carb (sparing you the details).

The Gritz Carlton - you are correct, we do value the opinions of those on this forum, even those opinions which are different than ours. that IS why we asked.

TaylorBob1 - we have thought about removing the microwave as that space would be much better utilized for many other things, thanks for reminding us.

EA3T7S - yes, a concern is the problems encountered with gens that will not start or run. We have been at sites where others are having gen difficulties, and reviewing the posts on this forum makes us wonder "are they worth the trouble?"

lwmcguir - we didn't acquire our RV with thoughts of selling, making money, and doubt anyone with any sense does. it is well known buying an RV is not a money-making venture. and as far as "reduce the benefit", we are doing very well without the gen, a gen adds nothing to our pleasure. it is in fact excess weight and takes up space we could better utilize.

Chance - well put.

we did all the upgrades ourselves; we know our way around the RV and have it well equipped.
there were 2 times we came close to using the gen:
1) grand canyon north rim end of october last year and we were camping very shaded, and it snowed for 2 days. minimal solar, our batteries were going down. but, the campground closed so we went to the south rim where it was warmer and lots of sun.
2) alaska this past summer, august was getting wet and the clouds were minimizing sun exposure. alas, no problem, we enjoyed as nature provided.

in summary thus far - having a gen is good for resale. not something we are concerned with, but maybe we will keep the gen in storage if / when that day comes and the buyer wants one.
there are those that cannot imagine living comfortably without a gen. to those, that is not how we RV. we can plan, adjust, and very much enjoy our RV life, have yet to need a gen.

AGAIN, much thanks for your thoughts and comments, we are listening.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:03 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
When we traded in our Class C I was told FBP would have gotten us an extra 1k. FBP when we bought it was a 5k option. Same with the leveling jacks option we passed on.

How much was that generator option when that class b was purchased new?
I wouldn't know as stated in original post I bought it used, 27 years ago...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:14 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I follow quite a few full timers on youTube. I don't mean the ebeggars that are always getting a new rig, I mean the men and women that live a nomadic lifestyle. Moving from seasonal job to seasonal job and enjoying nature in between. None of the folks I follow have a generator. They all use solar and mother nature's ability to regulate temperature via altitude and latitude. Having extra storage instead of a seldom/never used genset is a no brainer. As to resale value, that is a straw dog. The more miles you have on an RV, the less value it holds. Other mods that are lauded on this forum also decrease retail value, particularly when done by amateurs who had to ask strangers how to do something. Finally, as learned from this forum, Thor motorhomes are sold as an entry level kit that has to be finished by the owner. Not that I'm taking my genset out, I didn't buy my coach to boondock or live in. I use my genny on almost every trip. Coffee breaks and lunch time to name a few. But if it works for the OP, that's all that should matter.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:00 AM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
No Generator? Not for me. I realized the importance of having a generator to run the AC years ago on my then 1Year old Tiffin Allegro class a motorhome. I was west bound on Us 50 between Salida, CO and Gunnison CO on the uphill side when the generator died from vapor lock. Needless to say, the coach got real hot real fast. The chassis AC kept the driver and front passengers seat cool enough but could not keep any of the rest of the coach cool. mind you this was a nice 75f day but even with opening the vents and what windows I could we were not moving fast enough to provide adequate ventilation. while on the uphill side of the trip my kids ended up in the front passenger seat foot well using the AC cooling. As a side note I never had a car with AC until I moved to Atlanta. I moved in September and had a car with AC by next April. I realize now that the choice to not have AC in my 20s and early 30s is probably the reason I need hearing aids now. All that wind noise no doubt played a big part in my current hearing loss now. So, add this to your calculations about whether or not you need a Generator to run AC in your coach. A generator for $4,000 that will last as long as the rest of the coach. Or $7,000 dollars every 3 - 4 years to replace end of lifecycle hearing aids? Yes, aids can last longer but that is at a cost of increased downtime plus repair costs. Frankly I cannot tolerate life without the aids.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:00 AM   #20

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I think of our generator more as "emergency power" as opposed to a convenient appliances. We avoid camping in areas where temperatures exceed human comfort level, which varies by opinion between individuals. So July means mountains. We both HATE being stuck in a box *camping" with a generator and A/C blasting... why go "camping"? Just not our cup of tea.

As such, next summer (after wife retires) it's Rocky Mountains searching cool breezes and open windows at night. We struggle running the generator - just to run the generator. 200 watts of solar generally keeps the batteries topped. Camp fires use no electricity - that's where we like to be.

Would we ever remove our "little used" generator? Nope. That's our backup... just in case... a necessary evil. So I change the oil and exercise it monthly, just like the emergency generator at home.

Tags
generator, removal