Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2023, 11:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Texas
THOR #25110
House Battery Wiring?

I want to add a cut-off switch to the house batteries on my 2018 Thor Aria 3401. The power from the 4 house batteries goes to a lug on the wall and then is split with one cable going to a 100 amp circuit breaker and the other cable going thru the compartment wall towards the frame.

I ordered a 600 amp disconnect switch and I will replace the wall lug with the switch. The switch I found has one input lug and two output lugs so it will be easy to wire.

Does anyone have any idea when the un-fused wire goes? I assume the inverter and/or generator. I am trying to trace down the feed to the hydraulic leveler jacks.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2023, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If it's like the gas As, the 100 amp breaker goes to the generator starter AND hydraulic pump motor. There should be a line with a 50 amp breaker for the house DC buss and the unfused line should go to the chassis battery connect/disconnect solenoid.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:37 AM   #3

THOR #25110
Thanks. Mine only splits in two but I will try to trace the unfused line and see if I can find where it goes.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:09 AM   #4

THOR #25110
I looked where it crosses over the frame rail and it goes towards the front on top of the transmission and I can't track it.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:51 PM   #5

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
I assume you only need to attach the negative battery cable to the switch then to the ground and other leg to the battery, once the battery is not grounded you won’t use battery power why go to such extreme??
Old 04-29-2023, 11:04 PM   #6

THOR #25110
I agree. That’s what I’m going to do. Thanks
Old 04-30-2023, 01:19 AM   #7

Model: Aria 3601
State: Alberta
THOR #11317
I have a 2017 Aria 3601, and the drawings from Thor for the battery compartment show the second cable going to the fuse block located before the inverter in the compartment for the inverter.

I added a disconnect between the battery positive post and the terminal post located in the battery compartment to ensure everything was “off” when disconnect was switched to off.
Marcnobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:34 AM   #8

THOR #25110
Thanks, Marc. That certainly mirrors the factory installation on the chassis battery switch. I was going to put the switch on the positive be decided to mirror the action of removing the negative cable when isolating a battery. I also like disconnecting the negative because the a wrench removing a positive cable on the battery cannot short out against the compartment sidewalls or frame.

You did a great job modifying the factory drawing. Congrats.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:49 AM   #9

Model: Aria 3601
State: Alberta
THOR #11317
I decided to place the switch on the positive cable as the main positive cable from the batteries to the chassis was located close to the bay door and the switch was positioned within easy reach of the door without having to add extra battery cabling, only required cutting existing cable and adding appropriate lugs. My negative main cable is located towards the back of the battery bay and would have required adding additional battery cabling to permit the switch to be located near the bay door.

Placing the switch on either cable (positive or negative) will work equally well.
Marcnobert is offline   Reply With Quote