Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 15
THOR #3403
Space under dinette seat...

I have a 2016 FourWinds 31L. One of the benches at the dinette has a large drawer in it, the other has nothing. Made the following modifications which are very practical:

1. Put hinges on the top wood cover below the cushion.
2. Put a light on the inside of the seat
3. Carpeted the whole area
4. Still need to add a gas prop, to hold the door open
5. Installed an additional 12V charging station on the outside, so kids can charge phones while traveling.



I use it to put all the bedding, which we use at night when we make the dinette into a bed, pillows and all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161003_160707.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	3831   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161003_160719.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	3832  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161029_152345.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	3833  
__________________

__________________
obadea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
schreinertms's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 410
THOR #4486
Looks nice. What did you use to attach he carpet? I have a similar situation where the left dinette booth seat does not open (lid screwed down) and no drawer like on the right side. This space has a sub woofer but I want to make the space available for bedding. With most RV's there's always an issue where to put bedding especially if your unit sleeps a good deal of humans. In my case, sleeps ten.
__________________

__________________
Tom and Lisa
Pennsylvania
2015 Challenger 37TB
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Member
 
doubravsky's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
Posts: 99
THOR #1414
This looks very interesting! I have to look at my 31W compartment again... same dinette but I think I remember a bunch of stuff under there. Where did you run the power to for the light and charging receptacle?
__________________
doubravsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 15
THOR #3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Looks nice. What did you use to attach he carpet? I have a similar situation where the left dinette booth seat does not open (lid screwed down) and no drawer like on the right side. This space has a sub woofer but I want to make the space available for bedding. With most RV's there's always an issue where to put bedding especially if your unit sleeps a good deal of humans. In my case, sleeps ten.
on the right, because the panel is pretty thin, I put a piece of solid insulation, to keep the carpet in place and I stapled the carpet with a power staple gun. I stapled it, top, bottom, and where they had wood braces going across.

There was a 12V power line going against the outside wall through the box, I tapped into that, and hid it under the carpet.
__________________
obadea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,834
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post
This looks very interesting! I have to look at my 31W compartment again... same dinette but I think I remember a bunch of stuff under there. ...
My 32A has huge seat belt support brackets in that area... Still get some storage around them - but no where near as open.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Member
 
doubravsky's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
Posts: 99
THOR #1414
I checked mine.... lots of stuff down there....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	3885  
__________________
doubravsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
Posts: 296
THOR #6199
Thank you Obadea,

Made me check out my Windsport 35M dinette. Pleasantly surprised to find large open area. DW says it is great spot for crock pot and blender etc. Only a couple seat belts and two small electrical boxes.

Thanks again.
__________________
Shawn
2017 Windsport 35M
Shawn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,941
THOR #908
I was meaning to look more closely at mine....pretty sure there's nothing there.
but haven't thought of it in a while.
Thanks for the reminder. Maybe a good place to put our heavier items, such as 12-packs of coke or cases of bottled water.... DW has so far been storing them under the table but that drive me nuts!
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
sikoriko's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
Posts: 179
THOR #1490
I cut the panel so I could just pull it right up out of place and inserted a plastic container filled it with heavy coats. After the water pump failure decide to go with the plastic. the other side o f the dinette has my electrical converter and wires. No slide out.
__________________
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
lazinskm's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
Posts: 401
THOR #5725
obadea, if you put a gas strut in please tell me size and type, i need to put them in as well. We performed the same mod- we rent out the RV when not using. We put locks on top and store all kitchen and most of other essentials in dinettes as an "owners closet".
__________________
lazinskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 15
THOR #3403
Added a hinge to hold the door up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Quote:
Originally Posted by obadea View Post
I have a 2016 FourWinds 31L. One of the benches at the dinette has a large drawer in it, the other has nothing. Made the following modifications which are very practical:

1. Put hinges on the top wood cover below the cushion.
2. Put a light on the inside of the seat
3. Carpeted the whole area
4. Still need to add a gas prop, to hold the door open
5. Installed an additional 12V charging station on the outside, so kids can charge phones while traveling.



I use it to put all the bedding, which we use at night when we make the dinette into a bed, pillows and all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_154025.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	4435   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_154031.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	4436  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170325_133057.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	4437  
__________________
obadea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
DocP's Avatar
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 34TSB
State: Ohio
Posts: 244
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Thank you Obadea,

Made me check out my Windsport 35M dinette. Pleasantly surprised to find large open area. DW says it is great spot for crock pot and blender etc. Only a couple seat belts and two small electrical boxes.

Thanks again.
Same here ... I found this out several weeks ago. There's lots of room for items that aren't used all of the time.
__________________
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
Posts: 28
THOR #5361
I also modified mine in my 31W. use it for my junk that I don't need regularly because if my wife finds it. Well you Know! I just have to be mindful of all those cables that move in and out with the slide.
OBADEA, Thanks for posting that lid stay it was just what i was looking for.
__________________

__________________
CSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×