RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,049
THOR #1658
Question WiFi Ranger Sky3 vs Go AC?

The title says it all. Im looking between the WiFi Ranger Sky 3 and the WiFi Ranger Go AC. The Sky 3 would be an OE version with out the indoor core. I know that one is roof mounted and the other is an interior model. Just wonder what people have and what they think the pros and cons are. I would really go with the Sky Pro, but this is not a viable option. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
__________________

__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,049
THOR #1658
I guess no one is using either one of these.
__________________

__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Don't have one of those models... so didn't respond initially.
I have a Picostation version (model no longer available) - that I ran the antenna up to the roof - and connected to a router in the RV.

It certainly helped bring in weaker wifi signals (I could get towers across the campground when the closest ones were down) - but it just can't help the bandwidth issues of poor wifi...
I'd have a very solid connection with no bandwidth.

I still carry it with me - but isn't likely to see much use with the Mobley hotspot installed.

Haven't heard anything bad about the WiFi Ranger products (except the price... lol) - they do what is advertised - just be aware that you are still at the mercy of the wifi bandwidth available once connected.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,049
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Don't have one of those models... so didn't respond initially.
I have a Picostation version (model no longer available) - that I ran the antenna up to the roof - and connected to a router in the RV.

It certainly helped bring in weaker wifi signals (I could get towers across the campground when the closest ones were down) - but it just can't help the bandwidth issues of poor wifi...
I'd have a very solid connection with no bandwidth.

I still carry it with me - but isn't likely to see much use with the Mobley hotspot installed.

Haven't heard anything bad about the WiFi Ranger products (except the price... lol) - they do what is advertised - just be aware that you are still at the mercy of the wifi bandwidth available once connected.
I understand that it will not improve any bandwidth. It will just make a weaker signal stronger and or show more connections to other networks.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:13 AM   #5
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Florida
Posts: 58
THOR #9606
I looked at Sky 3 and Winegards ConnecT. I decided that the amount of money required just to have more low bandwidth options wasn't worth it. But we don't full time or work from our RV. A lot of people do and might need this type of access.

What I did do though, was upgrade my laptop wifi adapter. I purchased a TP-Link AC600 and an Alfa high gain antenna like this one.

ALFA NETWORK Inc

We also use VPN exclusively to aid in security.

Our internet life improved considerably on the road.

Probably not the info you were looking for but I wanted to show you something that worked for us.
__________________
Jim
2017 Gemini 23TR
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
Posts: 191
THOR #5922
Keeping connected is important to me... I went with two separate antennas: one for picking up good Wi-Fi signal: https://www.jefatech.com/products/jefa-repeater-xr and, as an alternative, I also can deploy a MiMo Antenna for my Hotspot (I use it with a sim card from a data plan).
Neither are hard mounted yet.
I know some systems offer both Wi-Fi and cellular rolled into one...I imagine that would be best. Nancy
__________________
nmcmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Keeping connected is important to me... I went with two separate antennas: one for picking up good Wi-Fi signal: https://www.jefatech.com/products/jefa-repeater-xr and, as an alternative, I also can deploy a MiMo Antenna for my Hotspot (I use it with a sim card from a data plan).
Neither are hard mounted yet.
I know some systems offer both Wi-Fi and cellular rolled into one...I imagine that would be best. Nancy
Very much like what I have... The Pico unit outside - used my own router inside instead... Nothing special about that piece of it.

Other advantages to this type of setup:
Dealing with device limits... The repeater shows as one device to the wifi network, regardless of how many are connected to your router.
Your devices only need to know about your router... Only the extender needs to be setup to use each new network. Same with your own hotspot)

Cell phones, tablets, media, computers... Too many devices. Lol
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Member
 
2015axis's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alaska
Posts: 85
THOR #5332
Has anyone tried the WeBoost RV,
https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv

Im in the market and would like to get some feedback before putting a $500 bill out for this..
__________________
2015axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,423
THOR #4735
we had a WifiRanger originally, but since the introduction of Unlimited cellular internet plans, our AT&T suits us, all 4 of us, without the need to hardly ever reach out to any 'free' wifi sources.

so, I have one for sale, if you'd like : )
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada - Northwest, GA! (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
Member
 
2015axis's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alaska
Posts: 85
THOR #5332
Sure thanks, so is it the (Drive 4G-X RV) and how much do you want for it..
__________________
2015axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #11
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,423
THOR #4735
mine is not shown online anymore, the MOBILE TI, probably an older model since I purchased it online back in '14.... it has an external antenna, with a RS232 type cable that goes into the coach and attaches to the 'brick', which is actually the router, which also has a 120v power cable to plug in. There is nothing to 'turn on', it's quite simple. It's small and unobtrusive, easy to handle, hide, and easy to configure, as the whole system is accessed by the 'online' page on your PC, after you attach your PC to the wifi signal.

I'd probably ask about $200, it has the ladder/antenna mount
__________________
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #12
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,182
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
Sure thanks, so is it the (Drive 4G-X RV) and how much do you want for it..
The Drive 4G products are not WIFI amplifiers; they are cellular amplifiers. Not the same thing.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,606
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
Has anyone tried the WeBoost RV,
https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv

Im in the market and would like to get some feedback before putting a $500 bill out for this..

Yes, I purchased the WeBoost RV couple of months ago.

I ALSO installed the WI FI Ranger Elite AC at the same time.

So I have both working together. Both are pricey so you have to justify needing them.

Im self-employed and require good Internet and phone service every day in order to do my job (and afford to RV / Retire some day).

I am setting myself up now so I can work on the road when I able to get away more next year (right now we take care of my Mom Full time).

Unfortunately I have not used on any big trips yet. One short trip so far an some weekend "all day picnic's" and they both seemed to work very well.

I was going to do a write-up on BOTH products once I had a chance to really use it.

The WIFI Ranger works in conjunction with my Verizon MIFI (It can tether or use blue tooth). So ALL 3 work together - if you loose your Free wifi from the campgrounds or Wal-Mart it should seamlessly transfer over to your MIFI (and I think you can used them together for heavy downloading?). Im not too familiar with WIFI Ranger yet..Takes some getting use to. Steep learning curve at first but the WE boost is a no brainer. WE Boost best when your closer to the inside antenna and give me ONE to TWO bars more then without. They say you cannot go by Bars and to do a signal strength in Dbs but I have not tried that yet.

I installed both on my latter.

Like I said I will do a writeup later on this but here is a few teaser photos.

The best location for the instide electronics was behind my TV over my steps in my Axis. Good thing I installed the MOREride TV mount that is adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4750.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	11697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4743.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	11698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4701.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	11699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4700.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	11700  

__________________
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,606
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The Drive 4G products are not WIFI amplifiers; they are cellular amplifiers. Not the same thing.
Yes you will need both products just Like I posted above.
__________________
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 AM   #15
Member
 
2015axis's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alaska
Posts: 85
THOR #5332
Thanks Tfryman,, Yes your correct. it is only a cellular amplifier, i miss-spoke,, I am still interested in the WeBoost RV and am still interested in anyone that has any experience with that particular unit,,,

And thanks TurnerFam for the price, seems real fair, ill chew on that a bit.

I live in Alaska and with the mountain ranges we have cell connections that are sketchy at time so i thing the Weboost it would work well up here, also we travel to Canada as well and loose connection periodically.

Thanks guys for the responses...
__________________
2015axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,049
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
we had a WifiRanger originally, but since the introduction of Unlimited cellular internet plans, our AT&T suits us, all 4 of us, without the need to hardly ever reach out to any 'free' wifi sources.

so, I have one for sale, if you'd like : )
I have the ATT $20 Mobley plan also. But I like to have a couple things in my arsenal to stay connected.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,606
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I have the ATT $20 Mobley plan also. But I like to have a couple things in my arsenal to stay connected.
I guess it all depends on how important it is for you to stay connected. If that is high on your list I would get the best you can for both. From my research I decided the WI FI Ranger Elite and WeBoost RV were the best for me. Since I still work full time its very important to me but you will have to determine if its worth it for your application.
__________________
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #18
Member
 
2015axis's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alaska
Posts: 85
THOR #5332
Great information thanks a bunch!
__________________
2015axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,049
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I guess it all depends on how important it is for you to stay connected. If that is high on your list I would get the best you can for both. From my research I decided the WI FI Ranger Elite and WeBoost RV were the best for me. Since I still work full time its very important to me but you will have to determine if its worth it for your application.
It is important to me to stay connected. I use
ATT Mobley, unlimited data
Verizon cellular, a 30gig plan
WiFi Ranger with Go AC, most networks are WPA protected now.
18 million Comcast hot spots to connect the Rangers to.

I prefer my cellular options as they are a closed and secure network. I could have more tools in the arsenal, but these 4 so far have not let me down. I probably use close to 100gigs a month.
Happy surfing on the web.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:43 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,606
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
It is important to me to stay connected. I use
ATT Mobley, unlimited data
Verizon cellular, a 30gig plan
WiFi Ranger with Go AC, most networks are WPA protected now.
18 million Comcast hot spots to connect the Rangers to.

I prefer my cellular options as they are a closed and secure network.
Happy surfing on the web.

Same here. I dont trust most "Free" wifi spots so I have my own. I only used a couple of times and since im still working full time Its vital to have good serice if I want to do it on the road. Im always afraid that some of the CG off the beaten path wont have ANY service at all so I read reviews of them first to avoid potental problems.
__________________

__________________
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×