Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #24505
AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station vs BPS Freedom V2 Travel CPAP Battery + Machine C

We plan on boondocking this Fall and Winter, so I need your opinions of purchasing a battery system such as the BPS Freedom V2 Travel CPAP Battery + Machine Cable Kits or the AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station, Emergency Backup Power Supply. Maybe another system that you like. I use a CPAP ResMed Airsense 10 without the humidifier. Don't think we'll boondock more than one or two nights at anyone spot and can use our genset to recharge during the day. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Links would be nice instead of just names.

We're preparing for a 3 week trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.
I use the same PAP system but with a humidifier.

Several of our stops are in National Parks without electricity and only 4 hours of generator run time. I did pick up the 12 Volt to 24 Volt DC converter for my PAP but I average 400 to 500 WH a night with the humidifier and that's a big chunk out of my 100 AH usable storage.

I looked into the portable power stations but found them overpriced. Instead I built my own. I used Miady Deep Cycle LiFePO4 batteries:

I used two of these for 400 WH (32 AH @ 12 VDC):
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...dp/B07X7MD2JK/

Along with an 8 AH/100 WH battery I already had.

I tested it and I get over the 500 WH rated capacity of the batteries.

If I were to build another one I would use this single 36 AH/461 WH battery:
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...dp/B08MJW69N3/

Get a cheap plastic ammo box from Harbor Freight, a fuse block, some wire, some switches and power connectors and you're ready to build.

I also got a small PSW 300 watt inverter to use with the box should I need 120 VAC:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ4Q2L5/

I already had a charger from HF that works for LiFePO4 batteries in STD mode (It does not work for Li-Ion batteries):
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-...ner-63350.html

Plus I can bulk charge it from either the MH or car when driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Box & Charger.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	33606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	33607  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	33608  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
Site Team

THOR #7035
I took the time to find your questioned devices on Amazon.

At $616 I would not even look at the Freedom V2 CPAP Battery Kit
https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Batte.../dp/B08FBGKPVJ

But the AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station at the Lightning Deal price of $109 was pretty good. Even at the regularly selling price of $130 it is worth considering for your use.
https://www.amazon.com/AIMTOM-Portab.../dp/B0791Y1WSQ

It has a 100 watt built-in inverter for your CPAP which should be sufficient and without the humidifier it may last the night for you. If not, get one of those Miady batteries and connect to the charging port to extend the capacity.

Realize when looking at these power stations the AH rating is at the native cell voltage of 3.7 VDC, not at 12 VDC so you have to use the WH rating to do an apples-to-apple comparison.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
In the RV I have an older Resmed, don't remember the model, and I got the 12v cord specifically for it. I use the humidifier without heat applied. Before I got a small inverter, 300w as I recall, but then found the 12v cord on ebay so when that way. On my omni though I need to add an old 12v "cigar plug" for power since the only power outlets are the 120v and USB charging.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #5

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I love the forum search feature.

I use a Resmed 10 model w/humidifier on a 250W Rockpals solar generator with a 12v dc to 24v dc converter. I’m looking to directly wire into the coach. I have a 2017 FW with the WFCO under the bed. I’m thinking about wiring in a cigarette receptacle directly to the WFCO using the “Lights” circuit. The CPAP is only on when the lights are off so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Primary motivation is that we are doing a lot of NPS camping this spring for 4-5 nights with no hookups and limited generator time. House batteries - two FLA - will get charged daily with genset as well as driving the coach since we don’t tow. I have a solar panel for the Rockpals but don’t want to rely on that as my sole source of CPAP power.

I think the only loads on the batteries at night will be the fridge, CO/propane detector, monitor panel and new CPAP connection. That’s what I see on the wiring diagrams but who knows what other parasite there might be.

Any flaws in my thinking?
Old 01-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I love the forum search feature.

I use a Resmed 10 model w/humidifier on a 250W Rockpals solar generator with a 12v dc to 24v dc converter. I’m looking to directly wire into the coach. I have a 2017 FW with the WFCO under the bed. I’m thinking about wiring in a cigarette receptacle directly to the WFCO using the “Lights” circuit. The CPAP is only on when the lights are off so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Primary motivation is that we are doing a lot of NPS camping this spring for 4-5 nights with no hookups and limited generator time. House batteries - two FLA - will get charged daily with genset as well as driving the coach since we don’t tow. I have a solar panel for the Rockpals but don’t want to rely on that as my sole source of CPAP power.

I think the only loads on the batteries at night will be the fridge, CO/propane detector, monitor panel and new CPAP connection. That’s what I see on the wiring diagrams but who knows what other parasite there might be.

Any flaws in my thinking?
Looks good to me. I wired my Lighter receptacle into the light circuit for my previous BiPAP and it worked fine. Worked fine for my current Resmed 10 as far as current goes, but the 12 to 24 VDC adapter plug doesn't fit as tight and easily loses contact. I ended up using a 1/4" mono plug and receptacle for a mor positive connection.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #7

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I guess I should put a battery monitor in while I’m at it. Haven’t had a need in 4.5 years but we are camping sans 30amp hookup more and more these days.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:38 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I guess I should put a battery monitor in while I’m at it. Haven’t had a need in 4.5 years but we are camping sans 30amp hookup more and more these days.
I had a cheap Chinese monitor in mine for years until our recent Blueridge trip in many National Parks. It worked great for knowing what voltage was, charging status, discharge status, but not so good for actual battery status.

I recently replaced it with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RP5B5P7

Definitely worth the extra cost.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:18 PM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I had a cheap Chinese monitor in mine for years until our recent Blueridge trip in many National Parks. It worked great for knowing what voltage was, charging status, discharge status, but not so good for actual battery status.

I recently replaced it with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RP5B5P7

Definitely worth the extra cost.
Ted I'm not an electrician so this may seem a basic question. That monitor does it measure available amps across the battery bank or is is selectable for certain ones? Is it measuring the battery condition or is the amp hour reading a "guess" based on what's been used? Thanks
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-17-2022, 09:39 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Ted I'm not an electrician so this may seem a basic question. That monitor does it measure available amps across the battery bank or is is selectable for certain ones? Is it measuring the battery condition or is the amp hour reading a "guess" based on what's been used? Thanks
It shows total amps flowing into or out of the battery bank if the shunt is inserted correctly.

You tell the meter the total AH capacity of the battery bank and it displays the current percentage available by keeping track of the AH out and in.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:00 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It shows total amps flowing into or out of the battery bank if the shunt is inserted correctly.

You tell the meter the total AH capacity of the battery bank and it displays the current percentage available by keeping track of the AH out and in.
Thanks
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ