Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2022, 10:43 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So now if I ever go up North or Northeast, I don't need to slow down if I see a overpass with yellow beams or yellow signs
Who doesn't want a convertible RV?

Suggestion: Connect it to your phone with bluetooth using the Garmin Drive app while traveling and it will often let you know about slowdowns, accidents, or construction ahead and sometimes offer alternate routes that are faster. It's been a very handy feature on occasion, especially around big cities. I have my wife verify that the alternate route appears to make sense (using paper maps) before accepting it though. Sometimes they're whacky.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:56 PM   #122

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Who doesn't want a convertible RV?

Suggestion: Connect it to your phone with bluetooth using the Garmin Drive app while traveling and it will often let you know about slowdowns, accidents, or construction ahead and sometimes offer alternate routes that are faster. It's been a very handy feature on occasion, especially around big cities. I have my wife verify that the alternate route appears to make sense (using paper maps) before accepting it though. Sometimes they're whacky.
I have gone under a many of the low overpasses so I don't see what the fuss is all about. But I have a SOB RV, I keep forgetting most of you peeps are driving regular Thor's

Click image for larger version

Name:	Convertible RV.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	40137

I plan to run the 890 and Waze. I will compare what they both say. I am 100% sold on Waze, but if they offer different routes, I will look at ETA of each and follow the one that gets me there the fastest. But you nail one of the main reasons I bought. My wife can learn how to use the RV 890 and she can take that like a iPad on work on finding a stop or some thing we may need and once set she place back on the mount all the while I am still following Waze. If I ever see a real low overpass, I will stop and take pictures like I am at Mount Rushmore or similar.

The RB 890 Bluetooth capability concerns me though? It may connect to my phone but maybe not other device like my RV's Pioneer system or my Visio Sound bar. So in a way, I am buying to play with and see for myself.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #123

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Keep reporting on how the Garmin and Waze work for you!!
Old 11-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #124

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Keep reporting on how the Garmin and Waze work for you!!

When I get it I may create a new thread to focus on Garmin and Waze
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-17-2022, 10:45 PM   #125

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
That would be great.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #126

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Yes, I'm also very curious to see a comparison of the two.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:51 PM   #127

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
When I get it I may create a new thread to focus on Garmin and Waze
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...tml#post367629
Old 12-23-2022, 12:25 AM   #128

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #28483
Our drive from MI to FL was our first time using the Garmin RV780, and I was astonished when it not only warned us about an upcoming traffic jam, but also said "The I-64 bridge is closed". The only problem was that we didn't understand that that particular bridge needed to be crossed to access the western loop around Louisville via 265 to 264. Had to pull out the good old Large Print Rand McNally to figure it out. Hubby was NOT happy about driving through downtown at 5PM on a Friday, although it actually went well. One feature of the RV780 that was awesome was its ability to easily find RV parks within a given area!