Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
These are licensed and highway legal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0417201407~01.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	23358   Click image for larger version

Name:	0417201406b~01.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	23359  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0417201406a~01.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	23360   Click image for larger version

Name:	0417201406.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	23361  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #22

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
These are licensed and highway legal.
With one huge exception Mr. Duck, those Vehicles you pictured are not manufactured under nor do they meet the requirements under the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Those indeed DO NOT meet Federal safety requirements of 50 states LSV On the other hand do. Use a utility vehicle all you want in the state they are registered in if it’s allowed by state and county law but only that state / county because it’s state regulated not Federal.
The NHTSA under 49 CFR 571.3 stipulated and codified the regulations on LSV they have been in effect since 2005.
IF Mr. Deere wants to get those utility vehicles certified under those regulations he sure can.
My LSV is manufactured and certified under those regulations. BIG DIFFERENCE.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
V1VR,
It sure does look like a golf cart...
I can understand why some Park owners might get upset: regardless of what your paperwork states.
If it is seen rolling around in a park: somebody is sure to complain about why THEIR golf cart wasn't allowed...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:53 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm going to use the tack I used on some of the dolly vs trailer selfishness.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:15 PM   #25

THOR #18251
I get it golf carts are not LSVs golf carts don’t have VIN#s LSV do.
I’m not being selfish I expect those who make rules to follow them.
I do
Here’s a cartoon for DF
I reserve a spot at a KOA pay for rig and parking for 2nd Vehicle online the web site lists the rules and listsall prohibited a manner of motorized carts and items . NO mention of LSV as Vehicle Legal by law as being prohibited. They could if they wanted to and I would go elsewhere
I arrive register get my paperwork and parking pass for my spot. I set up unload my LSV drive on down to the camp store for supplies and the host tells me “no golf carts allowed”
I explained what my vehicle is show Registration insurance card . He says no carts. I say OK I’ll leave request refund but they refuse.
Who’s right here?
I’m a former Federal LEO I know you can beat the rap but not the ride. Do I eat the cost or do I demand my refund and make a scene. I’ve learned what works I just dispute the change immediately with my credit card company This has only happened once I got the refund and found another campground.
It’s just an observation that ignorance isn’t something you argue with. Expecting to be treated fairly is a long way from selfish.
Jmhofwiwymmv
Old 04-17-2020, 11:29 PM   #26

THOR #18251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
V1VR,
It sure does look like a golf cart...
I can understand why some Park owners might get upset: regardless of what your paperwork states.
If it is seen rolling around in a park: somebody is sure to complain about why THEIR golf cart wasn't allowed...
Yes it does look like a cart. FYI It is not a street legal golf cart conversion. There are plenty of those.
It’s a manufactured LSV. So far in all the times I’ve used it only 3 places won’t budge. One just wanted a 100 off road tag - a State Park- that the one where the State Trooper ran the vin and educated the “ host” .
I ask many questions before I reserve any spot. It’s not usually an issue. I always ask if toads are allowed and if there are charges. That usually is all that’s needed.
Mr. DF may be relieved there is no trailer or dolly involved.

Be safe
Old 04-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #27

State: California
THOR #15490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
I thought it was insane to have to rate a mini golf cart as a private passenger vehicle (ie. car) at over $600/yr instead of the reasonable cost listed here by others.
$600 a year your insurance company sucks... My full size 4x4 truck dont even cost that.. you should drop that company completely and get someone else. There are better rates out there guarenteed if thats what they are quoting for a cricket... just my opinion
Old 04-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
FWIW: My little Kangacruz (just a little bit bigger than the Cricket): costs $79 for the year with full coverage...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #29

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Stupid or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sometimes you just can't educated stupid people. Just carry a copy of the Florida statute 316.2126 in the vehicle for the uneducated. No need to run a plate or Google it, you have provided them free education.
It’s their campground, you don’t like their rules hit the road and go somewhere else professor...I just don’t get the need for insults...
Old 04-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #30
SAS

Model: Challenger 37FH
State: South Carolina
THOR #18567
Quote:
Check with companies that write motorcycle and ATV coverages. They'll be the ones most likely to offer a plan for golf carts as well...
Bob,
I use Foremost Insurance Company for my gas golf cart. 65.00 yr. and have been with them for years. Foremost.com
Old 04-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Foremost does a nice job on recreational vehicle policies.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #32

THOR #15410
We have a street legal golf cart, called a lsv, and it is licensed like a regular vehicle. It has a tag etc. This way we can ride it anywhere the speed limit is 35 mph or less The downside is the insurance is not cheap. We live in an area that is NOT golfcart friendly, so this way we don't have to worry about getting a citation..
Old 04-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #33

THOR #15410
I agree
Old 04-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #34

THOR #15410
I have had the same problem at some county owned campgrounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VR View Post
I have a vehicle that’s a LSV -Low Speed Vehicle- (NEV) in some jurisdictions.
I put it in the back of my Outlaw 38MB.
It’s registered, licensed, fully insured, it has a vin # and a data plate stating it’s a LSV manufactured meeting the NHSTA LSV standards. It “looks” like a golf cart.
I have been told by Campgrounds ,State Parks,National Parks and conservation agents ,forest rangers, and many,many race track properties that my “golf cart” is NOT allowed to be operated “here” . I then spend the next 30 minutes educating them that this isn’t a golf cart but a street legal LSV show Insurence card, state (FL) registration and then they tell me golf carts are not allowed.
Legally it’s NO different then a towed car many class A coaches bring along.
The issue is most look and think it’s a golf cart and they don’t care “who I paid” to get a plate for it.
Several times it has come down to a LEO running the plate and realizing it’s like any other vehicle. Yet there are still park operators who say flatly “not in my facility” I find another place . The lack of awareness that these types vehicles exist is astounding.
I now register 2 vehicles as parking at my “spot” at check in and place the additional parking sticker on windscreen and usually that satisfies them.....But not always
For those who wonder what a LSV is:

Low-speed vehicles are defined as a four-wheeled motor vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 3,000 pounds (1,400 kg) and a top speed of between 20 to 25 mph (32 to 40 km/h). Nearly all 50 states allow LSVs, also called NEVs, to drive on their roads where the speed limit is 35 mph or less.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #35

THOR #18251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connieb View Post
We have a street legal golf cart, called a lsv, and it is licensed like a regular vehicle. It has a tag etc. This way we can ride it anywhere the speed limit is 35 mph or less The downside is the insurance is not cheap. We live in an area that is NOT golfcart friendly, so this way we don't have to worry about getting a citation..
I feel your pain......
Old 04-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You guys just need to pick up a golf cart for those occasions where they can be used...
Hang around the golf courses, and look for the duffer who just busted up all of his clubs next to a huge water trap: he'll be ready to sell his cheap!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #37
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
In Virginia Low Speed Vehicles can be prohibited on the roadways by the governing authority responsible for the roadway. Since campground roadways are the responsibility of the campground owner they can be prohibited in the interest of safety. That is the way the Virginia law is written. Just because it can res=gistered as a vehicle doesn't mean you have the right to operate it anywhere that the speed limit is 35 or under.

In most cases, states don't own campground roads. Those roadways are the property and responsibility of the campground owners and they set the rules.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #38

THOR #18251
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
In Virginia Low Speed Vehicles can be prohibited on the roadways by the governing authority responsible for the roadway. Since campground roadways are the responsibility of the campground owner they can be prohibited in the interest of safety. That is the way the Virginia law is written. Just because it can res=gistered as a vehicle doesn't mean you have the right to operate it anywhere that the speed limit is 35 or under.

In most cases, states don't own campground roads. Those roadways are the property and responsibility of the campground owners and they set the rules.
You are correct. A private property owner has the right to prohibit anything they want never questioned that. If they prohibit LSV’s I’m not going to question that.
The only issues I’ve had are when the property a owner mis-identifies the vehicle in question. If I can not educate them that a LSV IS NOT a golf cart, it’s OK I go elsewhere.
When it comes to a state or government owned property it’s a different matter.
The authority must provide defined rules and then I and the authority must abide by them that’s due process after all “we” are the property owners of public lands. They can not arbitrarily decide that my LSV IS a golf cart.
I’m not trying to bend any rule or property owners rights.
It’s my choice where to spend my money and it’s absolutely there right to refuse.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
is there any way that you can make it look less like a golf cart?
Old 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #40
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
is there any way that you can make it look less like a golf cart?
How's This:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote