Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 34 RESA3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2416
Living Room LED lights

One of the smaller 3 and a quarter inch overhead (in the livingroom slide) LED lights is not working. I removed the lens and tried to remove the LED light, but it is hard wired. Does anyone have experience fixing/replacing such a light?

Old 01-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
I will let you know as I have one in route to me. It looks like you remove the cover and pull three screws and just unplug it. Then plug in the new one and screw it back in and install the glass. Should know for sure soon.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1354
I just did this last night. I happened to be at the dealer having some warranty work done and when to their parts dept to buy one. Mine was a 4" but it was also hardwired. I wasn't really happy that the connector was crimped also so I had to cut the wire to get it out. I ended up adding some disconnects wire connectors so that if I had to do it again I could just unplug it and replace it.

As far as replacing it, for me, I had to remove the glass and then unscrew the 3 outside screws. I cut the wires and added the new connectors, shoved the assembly back into the ceiling, screwed the 3 screws and replaced the glass. It was pretty quick and easy.

I'M not used to 12volt so I kept the switch off not knowing it would zap you like 110. I just played it save just in case.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

State: Illinois
THOR #2672
I am also having issues with the 3" LED lights in my door side living room slide. I've had 7 of the 10 3" LED lights go bad on me in the three months I've had the 2016 MS. I've also had one on the off door slide go out. DRV sent me replacement light fixtures but, as previously posted, I discovered that they have to be hard wired and the original connector is crimped. When I called DRV about the lights I got the impression that they are having a lot of issues with these lights. I was going to re-wire the lights myself but, given how many I've lost on the one slide, I'm thinking there may be a bigger issue so I'm taking it to a service garage.
Escapees #114399
GordonsontheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:17 AM   #5

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
I just had three lights go out on me as well. Well, two went dim and one went completely out.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #6

THOR #2672
We have four lights that are completely out; three are dim; and one flashes on and off like a strobe light. The flashing light is so annoying that we have to keep the light switch turned off for that circuit which keeps us from using one of the lights that would work otherwise.
Escapees #114399
Old 01-18-2016, 03:55 AM   #7

THOR #2416
Thanks for the replies, but they make me wonder what DRV's design people were thinking? I also have ordered two replacement lights from DRV that I will have to install with disconnects I will rig up. For a very nice up scale trailer, this seems to be a mickey mouse way of installing lights. My new trailer was made in August, came to the dealer in September, and I picked it up new in early October and to discover these kinds of problems with LED lights is very disappointing.
John
Old 01-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #8

THOR #2672
We also picked up our DRV in October. I've noticed that the replacement lights that I've received from DRV appear to be of a different design. I heard that DRV was getting a lot of complaints about the original LED lights and I suspect that they have now gone to a new part. It makes me wonder if, after I replace the 9 currently defective lights, I will have problems with the remaining original LED lights in the future.
Escapees #114399
Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Wow, I hope it was just a bad batch of LEDs. We haven't had any trouble with the lights per se in our 2015 but did have a problem with one of the light switches controlling the 4 lights closest to the rear of the coach in the ceiling. That was one of the things we had taken care of during our visit in November at DRV.

Dan
Old 01-20-2016, 03:00 AM   #10

THOR #2672
I replaced 7 of the defective LED lights today and the difference is like day and night. It was moderately challenging since the new lights had to be hard wired and the original wiring was in crimped connectors. This required cutting and stripping the old wires before re-wiring the new lights. The new LED lights I got from DRV are quite different from the original ones. I plan to get a few more of the new lights from DRV and replace the lights that, although not dead, are considerably dimmer than the new lights.
Escapees #114399
Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #11

THOR #2416
I replaced one LED light today with the quick disconnect change. Works fine. Not necessarily brighter, though.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:27 AM   #12

THOR #2672
After replacing 7 of the 10 LED lights on the door side slide, one of the remaining 3 is now flashing like a strobe light. I've requested more LED light fixtures from DRV and, at the rate these lights are failing, I'll probably end up needing them all. It's very strange that 8 of the 10 lights in one slide have failed in less than 4 months and only 1 other of the 3" LED lights throughout the rig has died. It makes me suspect the door side slide was mis-wired somehow.
Escapees #114399
Old 03-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #13

THOR #2094
It seems like I haven't been very active on this forum lately, so I thought this update would be a good "return post."

I just received my replacement lights from DRV. They shipped them out in a very timely manner, as normal. Mark mentioned that they don't think they had a bad batch of lights, rather the problem is that the insulation settles into the LED's causing them to overheat. The suggested fix is to pull the lights and move the insulation if needed.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #14

THOR #2094
Update on the lights-

We ended up replacing six of the little lights that had burned out. The insulation thing seems to not really be the issue, as some of the lights replaced didn't have any touching them at all. Also, the new lights are significantly different in design and amount of LEDS than the old ones. Since replacing the old lights I've had several more go bad or start "strobing." Seriously, this strobing could cause mental issues. Anyway, DRV is sending out more lights along with a couple spares. Prompt service, as always. Hopefully we don't have anymore of these things go out.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:26 AM   #15

THOR #2672
I knew the insulation was not the problem. I recently had to replace another 3" LED light that started strobing. Since it was in the bathroom, I had no choice but to replace the light immediately. Fortunately I still had a couple of extra lights DRV had sent me. I've now replaced so many of these that I can now do the replacement pretty quickly. The new lights are clearly superior to the ones that were installed originally.
Escapees #114399
Old 05-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #16

THOR #2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonsontheGo View Post
I knew the insulation was not the problem. I recently had to replace another 3" LED light that started strobing. Since it was in the bathroom, I had no choice but to replace the light immediately. Fortunately I still had a couple of extra lights DRV had sent me. I've now replaced so many of these that I can now do the replacement pretty quickly. The new lights are clearly superior to the ones that were installed originally.
There's definitely a huge difference between the old lights and the replacement lights. And, speaking of the old lights, I have lost a few more. Two above the island and another in the door side slide. Glad Drv sent me a couple spares, but I'm afraid with the way things are going I'm probably going to lose more.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #17

THOR #2672
I contacted Greg again last week and he's sending me some more of these 3" lights. I've had two more die; one of them does the strobe light thing from time to time so I'm anxious to replace it before the strobe effect is constant. I've now replaced about half of the 3" lights in my MS since January. I got my rig in November 2015 so there's still time for the rest to fail. The good news is that none of the replacement lights have failed yet. I still think we got a bad batch of lights; the new ones are clearly better designed.
Escapees #114399
Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 AM   #18

THOR #2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonsontheGo View Post
I contacted Greg again last week and he's sending me some more of these 3" lights. I've had two more die; one of them does the strobe light thing from time to time so I'm anxious to replace it before the strobe effect is constant. I've now replaced about half of the 3" lights in my MS since January. I got my rig in November 2015 so there's still time for the rest to fail. The good news is that none of the replacement lights have failed yet. I still think we got a bad batch of lights; the new ones are clearly better designed.
We got our rig the end of July, 2015. Wonder how many rigs out there were fitted with these things...
Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 PM   #19

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
We got our rig the end of July, 2015. Wonder how many rigs out there were fitted with these things...

Ours was delivered in April of 15 and have had no issues. I wonder if they started using something of lesser quality after ours was made? #7814
Old 05-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #20

THOR #2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Ours was delivered in April of 15 and have had no issues. I wonder if they started using something of lesser quality after ours was made? #7814
Thor Bean Counters-

"First matter of business is that we're spending too much money on these, 'El Eee Deees.' Find a cheaper solution immediately!!!!"