Originally Posted by Rocky
I used a friend's motorhome (Sportscoach) many years ago, now I'm considering buying a used Thor (2014) Vegas. Would be interested in feedback on the following:
1. How do I get motorhome service if I have a problem when away from home? Is the Good Sam club membership a possibility? Others?
2. Any common problems/issues I should be aware of when buying a used RV?
3. I heard some campground electrical service can cause problems and that I should consider a power "purifier". Comments?
1. Different types of service... There are various roadside assistance programs out there - your auto plan may not be suitable for RV use - check and see.. There are also extended service plans if you wish - or of course pay as you go... There are mobile techs that can come to the campground. You will often find a wait for a normal service appointment.
2. Scan the forum a bit.. A thorough inspection is your best friend when picking up a coach... Don't sign/pay till everything is as you want it.
3. You should have a surge supressor - Technology Research (SurgeGuard) and Progressive are two popular brands - they validate the wiring before engaging the coach, and protect against high/low voltage. Come in both plug in and hard wired models.
There are devices that go further - and cost more - will actuall y boost voltage if it gets to low... I'm happy with cutting off my coach and protecting what is on board.