Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshrlass View Post
Thank you for that... we have taken a huge step taking on one of the big boys a class A motor coach. We love sports and really looking forward to visiting stadiums across the country ... now hurry up retirement
That is exactly what we are doing. We just started last summer... lots more stadiums to tailgate at! Of course, we are finding out that not all pro sports stadiums are RV friendly as well.

FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 AM   #22

State: Virginia
THOR #12725
Stadiums

You will have to share with us your experiences with tailgating at different stadiums.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Some are great...some suck. A lot of them will park you in the lot with the charter buses...whom of course leave engines running on elevated idle the whole game. If you think your generator is bad...cook burgers next to one of these...like cooking on the runway!! Call ahead, do satellite views of the venue and verify the area designated for RV's. Often times it's quite a walk from these lots.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #24

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Colorado
THOR #12314
Welcome aboard!!!
Calhan, CO
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #25

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
New RV and New to RV'ing

Rule number one. It's going to have issues. Don't let them become your issues and drive you nuts. Accept that things will break or not work or leak and just know they will get fixed. I got so angry the first 6 months in a new coach I wanted to set it on fire. Now all he issues are resolved. I know everything there is to know about my RV and we love traveling extensively throughout America. However I still love to give Thor a good bashing now and then.

This forum is a great place to ask questions, get help, find suggestions and post discoveries or issues. There is more knowledge here than at the factory.

Welcome to the RV world and this Forum. You are about to embark on the secret 8th wonder of the world. Enjoy.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #26

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
Just a couple hints for AFTER you get your best price and go through a complete PDI and bring that beautiful new baby home. We were very first time RV buyers and users less than 2 years ago and here's what worked for us:

Plan a small "maiden voyage" close by where you live not on a schedule. Don't plan a big trip first thing, since there are bound to be bugs. Our first trip out, the full wall slide refused to come back in! Luckily we were in a 10/10/10+ park and in no hurry to get back home right away.

Exercise all your systems, even if you don't need to. That includes using the generator to run everything at load, including the AC for a couple hours, then boondocking off the coach batteries until voltage goes down to 12.1V, running the fridge off gas, using the furnace, etc, etc.

Plan on multiple trips back to the dealer the first year to get all the little things you find fixed by the dealer while it is still under warranty. I always called ahead for an appointment with all the known issues flagged with the dealer ahead of time, then stayed in the waiting room for as long as they took to be repaired. They put a bit red WAITER stamp on my work order so they knew I was out in the lobby and the work had to be expedited. That way they don't keep your unit for days or weeks at the dealership while they take their time working on it. Be prepared to show them exactly what is wrong with everything you find and keep a list of all the items you have found.

Once you feel you have the bugs worked out sufficiently for a long trip, plan on joining FMCA and attending one of their rallies for the entire time. Split up and go to every informational event you are interested in. We learned so much from a 5 day rally as newbies we can't begin to tell you how important it was later on.

Get a TPMS tire monitor and a good surge protector and monitor. I picked both items up at the rally after hearing how important they were, and won't go into the details, but I am very glad I did! Also, get a windshield chip repair kit and know how to use it just after the inevitable problem occurs.

Now the good news: After getting through the first year and getting our feet wet, we've taken numerous trips and now have over $15K on our "new" motor home, there have been ZERO problems (knock on wood) with it that have required shop work.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
check others first

thor makes a very poor quality motor coach. I have a 2018 vegas purchased from camping world in july. Nothing but problems,batteries have already gone dead,screws pulling out from wall,terrible steering,automatic lighter for stove not working,carpet on driver side coming off. Tried to return it to camping world but no luck. Also found out they call it a 2018 however its on a 2017 ford chassis. Dont make the same mistake I did.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that you've had such problems...
But your rig IS a 2018: they use the model year of the Coach in determining these things: not the chassis.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
I too have a Thor Vegas and indeed see the same poor workmanship. I have come to accept by realizing that there are multiple complex systems designed for human comfort all crammed into a relatively small space that must be mobile and robust at the same time. If it was all built to BMW standards, the cost would probably be north of 500,00k and maybe approaching 7 figures. I guess it's either complain and cry or laugh and deal with it in order to get to the good times. At least this is what helps me.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #30

State: Texas
THOR #10490
Buying a THOR Product

I have a 2017 A.C.E. 30 ft. I had 12 warranty issues. Some I fixed myself.

Paid to have some fixed (out on the road). Six trips back to Camping World

for the remaining. I will never purchased a THOR Product again. Good Luck!

THOR does not seem to have any pride in their work.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #9751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congratulations and welcome.

First things first: Find a good predelivery inspection (PDI) checklist and follow it when picking up the new unit; don't sign any papers or hand over a check until after the PDI is complete.

During the PDI make sure every last little thing is exercised: water (both city and internal), generator, slides, stereo's, oven, stove, etc.

Once you've taken it home have an alignment done. Find a local truck/commercial tire place to perform the procedure (you can try Ford dealer's but ones that can handle RVs are few and far between). You may be able to negotiate that the dealer pay for this..maybe.

If you find things during the PDI that require parts to be ordered do not leave the coach at the dealer while parts are being ordered--insist on bringing it home and returning it when parts are available. This will prevent the dealer from holding your coach hostage.

After all that the main thing is: have fun with the new rig
This entire post is VERY GOOD ADVICE. A wise person will follow this advice.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #32

THOR #12314
PDI checklist and research, when I pick up our rig I actually knew a little more than the tech walking us through. He's a good tech I just did my homework.
Calhan, CO
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #33

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains View Post
when I pick up our rig I actually knew a little more than the tech walking us through.
That's because you are a soldier!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:36 AM   #34

THOR #12314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
That's because you are a soldier!
I tend to be proactive and prepared.