Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2021, 05:25 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: California
Posts: 4
THOR #24973
Too Hot

Hello Everyone, hope all is well. I am new to the forum and I own a 2020 Thor 29m Windsport (more like the bank owns it, lol). I love my RV but the wife and I are at odds with the heat. Seems like more heat goes into the back bedroom and not enough goes into the living room area. Is there an issue that I may not be aware of or is this normal? Seems like the heat coming from the vent under the couch is weak and not as hot as the bedroom vents. I made a heater box to cover the two outlets in the bedroom and have a 4” aluminum dryer hose pushing it into the living room. Thank you all for allowing me on the Thor forum and safe travels. John

__________________
jknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 2,164
THOR #6903
Very common issue for many RV propane furnaces

Adjust and distribute the heat as you are doing, check any ducts you can get to for kinks or connections, or lack of
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
coachray's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
THOR #13648
What iwmcguire is true. We have a small space heater that we sometimes plug in to help.
__________________
coachray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 22,080
THOR #8860
They've got you covered on the heat...
So welcome to the Forum!
__________________
"What: me worry?"
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
paulwadley's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
Posts: 1,950
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. You might want to check the furnace to see if any of the outlet hose connections have come off. They are usually held in place with a hose clamp. I found one of mine needed to be reconnected for the flow to get to the front of the coach.

Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
Posts: 642
THOR #22927
If you can go to the main heater, find the ductwork, find the one line that goes to the back, add a damper reduce flow maybe 50%, see if that will push more heat to the front.

Good luck
__________________
Grumpy Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 2,070
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Welcome to the forum. You might want to check the furnace to see if any of the outlet hose connections have come off. They are usually held in place with a hose clamp. I found one of mine needed to be reconnected for the flow to get to the front of the coach.

Paul
Good point.
I’m my new RV, the first time I removed the wood cover access panel to locate the heater distribution box…
I found that one of the outlet hoses was half-way off of the box connection port.

So I tightened all the loose fasteners that should have been done at the plant.

And while you’re in there, you’ll find saw dust and loose screws to clean up as well.
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 886
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post
If you can go to the main heater, find the ductwork, find the one line that goes to the back, add a damper reduce flow maybe 50%, see if that will push more heat to the front.

Good luck
You don't want to just close off the airflow from the furnace, need to look into it more, as discussed here... https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...29m-24022.html
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,951
THOR #11781
Another vote for checking you duct work. Make sure they are connected and not damaged. After that, remember that space heaters are your friend.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 24CR
State: Florida
Posts: 49
THOR #24306
This is what I found in my two month old Quantum. I was looking for options to put lithium’s and couldn’t believe this…
It is under a drawer in rear wardrobe. They cut duct too short so had to jam it into a space with too many other things. They then added insult to injury by strangling it with a tie wrap AND it was scuffed and had a hole in it from under the drawer scraping it.
Thor is sending me duct to fix myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7BB2CF7-19FB-4803-B744-D0884A482539.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	34015   Click image for larger version

Name:	73F54E07-3CB5-4EC1-959A-D0CC53961ADE.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	34016  

__________________
Thor Quantum 24CR “Scoot Scoot”
Flwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 499
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight View Post
Hello Everyone, hope all is well. I am new to the forum and I own a 2020 Thor 29m Windsport (more like the bank owns it, lol). I love my RV but the wife and I are at odds with the heat. Seems like more heat goes into the back bedroom and not enough goes into the living room area. Is there an issue that I may not be aware of or is this normal? Seems like the heat coming from the vent under the couch is weak and not as hot as the bedroom vents. I made a heater box to cover the two outlets in the bedroom and have a 4” aluminum dryer hose pushing it into the living room. Thank you all for allowing me on the Thor forum and safe travels. John

Welcome to the forum. I also have a 2020 29m. Pretty much all of us 29m owners have the same issue you described. Though we haven't found a total solution, you can purchase a vent from Valtera that you can close off on Amazon. Its a direct replacement for the ones that are on the wall. I would only replace one of them as the furnace is designed to move a certain amount of air and closing them both off might cause problems.

Also, you will want to remove the furnace cover under the fridge and take a look at the lines. Two of mine, the ones that lead to the front of the coach, were disconnected.

Lastly, you want to check out the lines fully as ours had all sorts of holes, especially where it leaves the kitchen sink cabinet and enters the cavity under the couch.
__________________
Campnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: California
Posts: 4
THOR #24973
Camonjoe, thank you for the reply. I will look at the ducting today to make sure it’s good. I love the portable heater idea it just makes sense. I originally took an insulated shopping bag, put a 4” flex tube out the back, attached the bag over the two vents and pointed the tube towards the living area. Very temp fix, If all my ducts are good, I might fab a sturdier box to go over the vents redirect the heat.
__________________
jknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:04 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 499
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight View Post
Camonjoe, thank you for the reply. I will look at the ducting today to make sure it’s good. I love the portable heater idea it just makes sense. I originally took an insulated shopping bag, put a 4” flex tube out the back, attached the bag over the two vents and pointed the tube towards the living area. Very temp fix, If all my ducts are good, I might fab a sturdier box to go over the vents redirect the heat.
Do a search of the forum as someone else built a box much like the one you described. Someone else moved one of the lines for the bedroom and placed it in the grill under the fridge. Let us know how it all works out.
__________________
Campnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 27K
State: Florida
Posts: 2,605
THOR #1589
After you do all the vent work, get a small ceramic heater. It's amazing how much it can heat a coach and you will be using the RV park's electricity and less LP gas you pay for.
__________________
May the trails always twist in your favor
May the tales always end in good light
May you have more friends than one campfire can hold
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:14 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 499
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
After you do all the vent work, get a small ceramic heater. It's amazing how much it can heat a coach and you will be using the RV park's electricity and less LP gas you pay for.
I will second this. I use a 1500watt heater to exercise the generator in the winter and it does a good job heating up the front of the coach. I wouldn't use it as the only source of heat, but it does work well.
__________________
Campnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: California
Posts: 4
THOR #24973
Hello All, hope all is well and everyone is having safe travels. A little update about my heat but first, thanks too everyone who replied. This was super awesome getting feedback in a positive manner. I am a retired Army Vet so you know I’m not very smart and a knucklehead most times, lol. I opened up my vent access, trimmed the middle section taking off about a foot and a half. All hoses were good a sealed so I bought the Valterra registers I could adjust for the two bedroom vents. Plus we are going to travel with a space heater. As one of my partners in crime stated, power is part of the space and no extra charge for a space heater. We are taking off to the desert so we will see how this works. I’m definitely going to close one vent and throttle down the other and I hope like hell this does not over heat the furnace. If it does then we will just stick with our space heater. Thanks again for all the great advice and I’m sure I will have more questions as we get out more. Take care and safe travels. John
__________________
jknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:49 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,493
THOR #6826
I use an oil filled radiator style electric space heater as my first line for heat. Usually add a small ceramic heater if the first one is not enough and only run the furnace for quick warm up in the morning or if it’s REALLY cold (like in the teens). I won’t sleep with a ceramic heater running but im fine with the oil filled one.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Machinetools1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
Posts: 163
THOR #16201
Welcome to the forum...There are a lot of fantastic members here who have much expertise and are willing to help.

We have a 2019 Thor Windsport and love it very much....Great choice.
__________________
Machinetools1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #19
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
Posts: 77
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
I will second this. I use a 1500watt heater to exercise the generator in the winter and it does a good job heating up the front of the coach. I wouldn't use it as the only source of heat, but it does work well.
This is great advice. Try searching for RV Directional Registers OST are interchangeably. Pop the old Registers off and replace so you can damper your system.
Welcome aboard
__________________
Galobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2