Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccammonds View Post
Many folks has died from running their generator while they are sleeping.
That exhaust can get in to the cabin many ways.
As Turner said - FAKE NEWS without a citation.

Yes it "can", but it is not likely to, and that is one reason a CO detector is in every RV sold.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #22

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccammonds View Post
Many folks has died from running their generator while they are sleeping.
That exhaust can get in to the cabin many ways.
From experience owning multiple RV's I use my generator at night and I live to talk about.

Sadly all those people that died from using their generator while sleeping are not available to tell their story.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:57 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
fake news

give us names - I don't believe you
Jeez took me all of 5 minutes to find this story. If you can check this forum I know you have access to the web...I’m sure there are more out there. I sometimes wish people said “I don’t know“ instead of spewing out beliefs without supporting data.

“It has happened again. This time in Alabama at a campground near the Talladega Speedway. Craig Franklin Morgan, 46, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Morgan and his wife, Jami Allison Morgan, 38, were discovered unresponsive by friends who went into their RV at the South Campground outside the track.

Jami Morgan was unconscious and was airlifted to a nearby Hospital, where she remained in critical condition and unconscious Monday morning.

Police said the carbon monoxide apparently leaked from the exhaust system of the family’s RV.

Talladega County Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore told myfoxal.com that the couple’s RV had a broken exhaust pipe on its generator, which ran all night Friday. When the Morgans didn’t come out Saturday morning, friends went looking for them.

Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odorless, and deadly gas, produced by the partial combustion of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels. Carbon monoxide is the number one cause of poisoning deaths each year.“

Im not saying you’re going to die if you sleep with your generator running. But check your detector, make sure your detector is properly positioned (detector will sound off before you do), you can hear detector with gen, AC and snorers snoring.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:34 AM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
Jeez took me all of 5 minutes to find this story....

Im not saying you’re going to die if you sleep with your generator running. But check your detector, make sure your detector is properly positioned (detector will sound off before you do), you can hear detector with gen, AC and snorers snoring.
Moral of that story is check your generator's exhaust pipe.

Still waiting for the citation that "Many folks has died from running their generator while they are sleeping."
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:11 AM   #25

THOR #15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Moral of that story is check your generator's exhaust pipe.

Still waiting for the citation that "Many folks has died from running their generator while they are sleeping."
I hope you’re not waiting for me cuz that citation isn’t mine. I’m certainly not going to dig up all the statistics to demonstrate the fatality rate per 1,000,000hrs of nighttime generator operation. There is a risk and it can be mitigated by doing the right things including checking the exhaust, other potential leakage points and ensuring your detector is operational. However the statements made (fake news give us names - I don't believe you) indicated there was no risk and no one had ever died of this. Personally I prefer not to run it while I’m sleeping. But that’s me...
Old 04-24-2020, 03:29 AM   #26

THOR #15296
Prove me wrong or I’m right

I’ve noticed that some people operate per the above title. Here’s a few to get you started:

-Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are real.
-My Thor Citation is a spaceship from Alpha Centauri.
-The US debt is actually zero (you must prove I’m wrong without using fake US government data).
-We are all unwilling participants in a computer game operated by an alien civilization.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:22 AM   #27

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We have been running a genny at night since our first rv with genset 20+ years ago. As part of my seasonal maintenance I change oil, spark plug, gas filter, clean the spark arrestor screen & check the exhaust on my genset.
An ounce of prevention...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #28

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
I am sure you can also find other deaths related to carbon monoxide poisoning in RV's from other devices if you searched.

These devices if not vented or operating correctly could also emit Carbon Monoxide into the RV:

Lp Furnace
Lp Hot Water heater
Refrigerator on LP Mode
Lp Stove
Lp Oven
Main engine such as the V-10 gas
Old 05-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #29

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
I have a second carbon monoxide detector in the bedroom as a back up...and put them down low near the floor.