Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #761

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
"Maiden" trip

We have purchased our 2015 Axis 24.1 in November of 2018. The coach was sitting in storage since except when I would bring it home to study the beast. With Ed's thick manual in hand I would go over everything in order to learn how to operate nad understand this house on wheels. The coach is in excellent condition. I just replace the thermostat and got rid of linoleum floor by installing vinyl planks. For all these months I would also read all posts on this great Thor Forum. What an incredible source of information this is, for people like me, first time RV owners. I would read and make notes what I need to do and buy for the RV (cover, additional power cable, 15, 30 and 50 amp adapters, fuses, levelling blocks, good water pressure regulator, water hose, black/gray water dumping kit, dynamat, front door rug, chairs, table, portable grill, Garmin RV GPS and few other things). So, the day for the first trip came. Memorial Day weekend 2019. I plugged in the coach to 110V in front of my house night before to double check few things, loaded the fridge and was ready. Couple months earlier my wife have reserved a spot at the 49er RV Ranch in Columbia, CA. We were checking the weather reports and unfortunately it supposed to rain the entire weekend. Well, who cares, right?
The 105 mile drive to the mountains was easy. After reading how tiring driving could be because of not so good factory installed suspension/shocks/steering, I was pleasantly surprised not having too much issues with that. After check-in, the Park's staff directed us safely to our spot Somehow, I parked the coach like a pro. Then, pretending that this is not our first time in RV (in case my neighbours were watching) I calmly hooked up the water hose, pressure regulator, tv cable and dumping hose. Awning and slide was out in no time, chairs and table ready for the first RVing experience.
It did rain everyday and was very cold too. So what? The furnace was keeping us warm and we had a nice dry roof over our heads while enjoying hot meals and watching other campers through panoramic windshield. Trip home was pretty much the same. Very smooth. All equipment worked flawlessly, as designed. We also learned that we still need to buy few basic things and also get rid of stuff we don't need. Before the trip my wife and I, were afraid a little if we are going to like RVing. Well,...we loved it!!! We can't wait to go on another trip soon
I would like to thank you ALL for sharing your knowledge and experiences which helped me so much to prepare for this trip and RVing in general!!!
Ps. Here are few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After setup 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	17746   Click image for larger version

Name:	After setup.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	17747  

Name:	Ready for Memorial Day.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	17748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under the trees.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	17749  

Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #762

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Classic example of the end result of "Preparedness Meets Opportunity"! If every new buyer (used or new) would follow this process the bad reviews and disappointment would diminished. With the exception of a few catastrophic circumstances, I feel most issues owner's experience are driven by the lack of understanding of just what makes up these monsters and not having the basic skills to make repairs and adjustments along the way. Realistic expectations is the second reason. Just like boats and other high-end "toys"...if you don't know how to fix them along the way...you probably should re-think buying them. It's not where you are going but how you get there that makes it so much fun. Great write-up!! Look forward to hearing many more great reports!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #763

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
I parked the coach like a pro. Then, pretending that this is not our first time in RV (in case my neighbours were watching)...
Don't worry Rysiek, they had you peg'd when you showed up with those brand new chairs, table, and front door rug. Just kidding buddy! Glad your first trip was a success and that you had a good time. Now, go out and do it again!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #764
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Don't worry Rysiek, they had you peg'd when you showed up with those brand new chairs, table, and front door rug. Just kidding buddy! Glad your first trip was a success and that you had a good time. Now, go out and do it again!
We've been on a few inaugural runs with family and friends breaking in their new campers. One such couple still had the tags on everything: rug, chairs, hoses, pots/pans, glasses, dishes, and even the sewer hose was still in the box...it was hilarious! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #765

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Congratulations! Your write up was great. I kept waiting for the bomb to go off, but it didn't and i am really happy for the outcome. Your preparations really paid off. Like others have said, start prepping for the next outing. And ENJOY!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:13 AM   #766

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
Just enjoying the view

Our first trip to the beach (Emma Wood, CA State Beach) in our new Palazzo 33.2 last August. Many trips since then and all great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-05-30 21.03.11.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	17778  
Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 AM   #767

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #14093
Nice picture and even nicer coach,
Again, thank you all for your advice and great stories. Happy RVing to ALL!
Old 05-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #768

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
We have purchased our 2015 Axis 24.1 in November of 2018. The coach was sitting in storage since except when I would bring it home to study the beast. With Ed's thick manual in hand I would go over everything in order to learn how to operate nad understand this house on wheels. The coach is in excellent condition. I just replace the thermostat and got rid of linoleum floor by installing vinyl planks. For all these months I would also read all posts on this great Thor Forum. What an incredible source of information this is, for people like me, first time RV owners. I would read and make notes what I need to do and buy for the RV (cover, additional power cable, 15, 30 and 50 amp adapters, fuses, levelling blocks, good water pressure regulator, water hose, black/gray water dumping kit, dynamat, front door rug, chairs, table, portable grill, Garmin RV GPS and few other things). So, the day for the first trip came. Memorial Day weekend 2019. I plugged in the coach to 110V in front of my house night before to double check few things, loaded the fridge and was ready. Couple months earlier my wife have reserved a spot at the 49er RV Ranch in Columbia, CA. We were checking the weather reports and unfortunately it supposed to rain the entire weekend. Well, who cares, right?

The 105 mile drive to the mountains was easy. After reading how tiring driving could be because of not so good factory installed suspension/shocks/steering, I was pleasantly surprised not having too much issues with that. After check-in, the Park's staff directed us safely to our spot Somehow, I parked the coach like a pro. Then, pretending that this is not our first time in RV (in case my neighbours were watching) I calmly hooked up the water hose, pressure regulator, tv cable and dumping hose. Awning and slide was out in no time, chairs and table ready for the first RVing experience.

It did rain everyday and was very cold too. So what? The furnace was keeping us warm and we had a nice dry roof over our heads while enjoying hot meals and watching other campers through panoramic windshield. Trip home was pretty much the same. Very smooth. All equipment worked flawlessly, as designed. We also learned that we still need to buy few basic things and also get rid of stuff we don't need. Before the trip my wife and I, were afraid a little if we are going to like RVing. Well,...we loved it!!! We can't wait to go on another trip soon

I would like to thank you ALL for sharing your knowledge and experiences which helped me so much to prepare for this trip and RVing in general!!!

Ps. Here are few pictures.

Beautiful coach and a happy tale. Hope there’s MANY more in your future!
Old 06-01-2019, 12:08 AM   #769

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
tyler state park after a one year lay up due to health..it was so good to be back oi[ut
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190319_124413.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	17795  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:38 AM   #770

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Well we made it back to our favorite Florida Keys location, and even our favorite site! We're at the Jolly Roger Travel Park in Marathon, and our site is right on the seawall overlooking the Florida Bay. Now this is Paradise!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190601_134055731.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	17832
Old 06-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #771

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
It is Paradise... but it will give your A/C a workout this time of the year. I left my “Paradise” home for a few months in Nova Scotia until it gets “cool” again (it actually never does).
Old 06-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #772
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510

Name:	axis at clintin lake.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	17852

Name:	axis at clintin cg.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	17853
We camped at
Clinton Lake Campground, Lawrence, Kansas
Walnut area for 4 days this week.
The sites are unbelievably large and we had no leveling issues.

Due to flooding issues along the Kansas River and Missouri River,...
this campground, too, has lost its waterfront sites for a while.

This lake has several campgrounds around its perimeter.

If you are in the area, I recommend it !

Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:06 AM   #773

THOR #14340
Trip to Titusville, FL to pick up our first motor home. Had never driven one but we took off the next day and with the exception of one RV camp stop, we drove 600 miles straight home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00257.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	17862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00263.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	17863  

Name:	DSC00275.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	17864   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00284.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	17865  

Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #774

THOR #14340
Shoal Creek RV Park and Campground

Stayed at Shoal Creek Campground for the last few days. Got up early to walk the dogs and decided to shoot a quick aerial view. Wasn't really light enough as the sun was still 30 minutes from coming up. But it was cool just the same.

My first time flying over water! I was a bit anxious...
Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #775

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Stayed at Shoal Creek Campground for the last few days. Got up early to walk the dogs and decided to shoot a quick aerial view. Wasn't really light enough as the sun was still 30 minutes from coming up. But it was cool just the same.

Thanks an awesome video, its like you can see the horizon of the earth! I would have been hesitant over water myself. Lot of money to drown
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #776

THOR #11130
Quote:

I made float tubes/pontoons for my Phantom 4 using the smaller size of pool noodles. Cut them a few inches longer than the drone footprint...slit the sides a bit where the legs will go into the tubes and wire tie them around that area. Test it in the tub for proper balance. Now, not only is it less scary to fly over water...you can actually land and take off on the water. I had a challenge with a local municipality to collect water samples from a small reservoir (possible pollution) whereby I had to fly 6 inches over the surface. The thought of loosing her inspired the floats. I got the idea from kids on YouTube. Tip: I added a bit of lead fishing weights inside the tubes to lessen the "top heavy" profile and better balance it front to back. The green noodles, with red reflective tape on one end and white reflective tape on the other helped with visual profile as well.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #777

THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I made float tubes/pontoons for my Phantom 4 using the smaller size of pool noodles.
Thank you Don, interesting idea!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #778

THOR #11130
Cheap fix here and works perfectly!! Very stable!

Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #779

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Terrific ! I am excited to hear what you find there ! We did not have a tow vehicle or motorcycle with us...and even tho there is a fellow who rents golf carts which are legal there..he had none available. Next trip we will have our Jeep and enjoy. Lady at the desk at RV park said there are several good places to eat/drink, museums etc. She said...once you come to Cedar Key you don't want to leave !!

Did PCB area recover from the hurricane? The east end of Carrabelle is back to normal.

send photos when you go !

k
Yellowstone!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190603_162300~2.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	17891
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #780

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
Yellowstone!Attachment 17891
Cool! Heading to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in August in our 2019 Windsport 34J. Staying in West Yellow, MT, though. Is photo inside park?