RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 20
THOR #21613
Crossfire for Dually Tires

We have a 2019 25’ Thor Compass and I’m wondering about installing Crossfire systems on the back dually tires to equalize the pressure. Has anyone done the install yourself? If so, I have several questions. Do you absolutely need metal valve stems? Our recommended tire pressure front and back is 61 psi. The Crossfires I see are listed as 105 or 110 psi. Are they okay? Guessing the higher numbers are upper limits. Also, not sure why the outer tires have valve stems pointed inward. Finally I don’t know if the outside ‘wheel nuts’ are real nuts or decorative caps. If the latter, how do you remove them? Since we’re newbies, any and all feedback is much appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Farmer Folly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:37 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,608
THOR #8860
Watching..
__________________

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:38 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,719
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Folly View Post
We have a 2019 25’ Thor Compass and I’m wondering about installing Crossfire systems on the back dually tires to equalize the pressure. Has anyone done the install yourself? If so, I have several questions. Do you absolutely need metal valve stems? Our recommended tire pressure front and back is 61 psi. The Crossfires I see are listed as 105 or 110 psi. Are they okay? Guessing the higher numbers are upper limits. Also, not sure why the outer tires have valve stems pointed inward. Finally I don’t know if the outside ‘wheel nuts’ are real nuts or decorative caps. If the latter, how do you remove them? Since we’re newbies, any and all feedback is much appreciated.
Reach out to Judge.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,298
THOR #11781
The only part of your inquiry that I can speak to is the direction of the valve stem. All six of your tires are mounted on the same rim. On the fronts and inner rears the valve stems all point out. The outer duals point in because the rim is reversed. A dual headed tire pressure gauge can be used to check the pressures. Sure, it has a learning curve, but once you figure it out it is simple to use. Good luck.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,585
THOR #12751
Let me try to answer your questions....

1) Do you absolutely need metal valve stems? - Yes. You should not use rubber valve stems or valve extenders with the Corssfire system. The braided steel hoses are heavy duty and have some weight to them. With the centrifugal force when spinning, it will pull on the rubber valve stems. Over time they could tear and cause a leak.


2) Our recommended tire pressure front and back is 61 psi. The Crossfires I see are listed as 105 or 110 psi. Are they okay? Guessing the higher numbers are upper limits. - Crossfire comes calibrated for tire pressures from 65 to 125 PSI.

https://www.amazon.com/Crossfire-Dua.../dp/B00030413Y

You must by the right Crossfire monitoring valve for the tire pressure you intend to run. If you plan to run 61 PSI, you could geta away with the 65 PSI model because you will gain pressure once you are rolling and the tires heat up. However, you cannot buy a 105 PSI rated valve because when the tire pressure you are running is much lower than the rating because the valve id designed to shut off when it senses a tire is well below the target pressure to prevent both tires from losing air should a blow out or fast leal occur.

Also, the Crossfire is color coded. When the pressue is below the target pressure, the valve read yellow. When it is at the target pressure it reads black. When the pressure is above the target pressure is reads read. This is another reason you have to buy the correct Crossfire package that is rated for the pressure you intend to run.

Finally, Crossfire does sell an optional kit to be able to run an aftermarket TMPS with the system so you can still monitor pressures in the coach.


3) Also, not sure why the outer tires have valve stems pointed inward. - Answered above. You just need a filler like this one that can read from either side.

https://www.amazon.com/AZUNO-Inflato...s%2C190&sr=8-8
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,608
THOR #8860
Judge,
Thanks a million and a half!

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
Posts: 67
THOR #6138
I have installed the crossfires myself and not a big deal. I did remove the dual. The crhomish cover is removable. You should have a special wrench for those. Be careful seems to me they aren’t very strong. I used the 100 lb crossfires and love them very simple to monitor. And I think thy will extend tire life.
__________________
fchabotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 20
THOR #21613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Let me try to answer your questions....

1) Do you absolutely need metal valve stems? - Yes. You should not use rubber valve stems or valve extenders with the Corssfire system. The braided steel hoses are heavy duty and have some weight to them. With the centrifugal force when spinning, it will pull on the rubber valve stems. Over time they could tear and cause a leak.


2) Our recommended tire pressure front and back is 61 psi. The Crossfires I see are listed as 105 or 110 psi. Are they okay? Guessing the higher numbers are upper limits. - Crossfire comes calibrated for tire pressures from 65 to 125 PSI.

https://www.amazon.com/Crossfire-Dua.../dp/B00030413Y

You must by the right Crossfire monitoring valve for the tire pressure you intend to run. If you plan to run 61 PSI, you could geta away with the 65 PSI model because you will gain pressure once you are rolling and the tires heat up. However, you cannot buy a 105 PSI rated valve because when the tire pressure you are running is much lower than the rating because the valve id designed to shut off when it senses a tire is well below the target pressure to prevent both tires from losing air should a blow out or fast leal occur.

Also, the Crossfire is color coded. When the pressue is below the target pressure, the valve read yellow. When it is at the target pressure it reads black. When the pressure is above the target pressure is reads read. This is another reason you have to buy the correct Crossfire package that is rated for the pressure you intend to run.

Finally, Crossfire does sell an optional kit to be able to run an aftermarket TMPS with the system so you can still monitor pressures in the coach.


3) Also, not sure why the outer tires have valve stems pointed inward. - Answered above. You just need a filler like this one that can read from either side.

https://www.amazon.com/AZUNO-Inflato...s%2C190&sr=8-8


After calling Jeff at Dual Dynamics, we ordered and received two 60 psi Crossfire units. Now the challenge is finding someone who can replace the rubber valve stems on the tires with metal ones. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. We were told to order one 12” line with a 180 degree end. Do valve stems come straight or at a 45 degree angle?
__________________
Farmer Folly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 3,130
THOR #13932
You're going to a tire shop to get the valve stems replaced.
Let them decide what else you need.
They've worked on thousands and thousands.
They'll know what angle dangle works best.

And while you're doing tire things
Consider buying these
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=542
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 20
THOR #21613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Folly View Post
After calling Jeff at Dual Dynamics, we ordered and received two 60 psi Crossfire units. Now the challenge is finding someone who can replace the rubber valve stems on the tires with metal ones. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. We were told to order one 12” line with a 180 degree end. Do valve stems come straight or at a 45 degree angle?


Just had Crossfires installed at a commercial truck tire business. Couldn’t keep the nice wheel covers, but aesthetics is less important than function and safety. The Crossfires have individual takeoffs so that you can check pressures in each tire.

We just purchased a car dolly for pulling a Chevy Equinox. Now I’d like to add TPMS sensors to six RV tires and two Dolly tires. Does anyone have advice about a system? The RV tires are 61 psi and the dolly is 90 psi. Not sure if the pressure differences are important. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Farmer Folly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×