Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #19450
Dealing With "Authorized" Repair Centers

This might be applicable to the repairs section but it is more discussion;

I've been having a real problem getting warranty work done on my 2020 Palazzo pusher and have this basic question... Do I just have to suck it up and deal with the only dealer in my area or are there other options?

Any advice is helpful. FYI, in Northern California and been dealing with camping world.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Any Thor dealer should do...
Old 01-21-2021, 11:07 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Many, maybe even most, independent RV repair shops can do warranty work and they probably have better trained, more focused and harder working staff. They are not motivated by new unit sales, I bought my last several RVs from CW but I see no reason to go there for any other reason.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:38 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yes... but you better check to see if they can,do the warranty work first.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:47 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Choose the other option. When my coach was under warranty and I was unhappy with Camping World, customer service at Thor authorized me to go to a local mom and pop RV shop and have them do the warranty work. Thor actually suggested it to me as I did not know that was an option. I ended up doing all the nit picky things myself, but it was nice to know that Thor was going to pay for someone other than Camping World to take care of my rig. Call Thor and see if that is still their policy.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:58 AM   #6

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
What ^^^^HE SAID^^^^^
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:40 AM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
If you go to the thor website, you can lookup service centers or authorized dealers. Basically anyone on that list can work on your coach. Keep in mind though that not all shops are created equal and just because your local CW is not very good, it doesn't mean that they are all this way.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:00 AM   #8

THOR #22026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Keep in mind though that not all shops are created equal and just because your local CW is not very good, it doesn't mean that they are all this way.
I thought this would be the way also, but apparently not.

The wife and I bought our first RV right at the end of January (Aria, 3701). Dealer was the worst retail experience I've ever even heard of. While we were documenting issues we came across the warranty paperwork, both Thor's and Freightliner's, unsigned by the dealer. Called Thor, RV had not been reported sold 13 days after we took delivery.

After a few meetings with the dealer, I emailed Thor and received a call from someone in the Tech/Warranty department. He didn't want to listen to anything, simply said make a list of issues, and he'd make it work with anyone, even if not a Thor authorized site. I told the guy I wasn't at that point yet, but wanted to know who had the better service centers.

The réponse was unreal: he said other than one garage in CA and the Thor factory, everyone else was about the same.

He continued with statements that I could either do it his way or end up waiting perhaps months longer.

So yes I think Thor would pay just about anyone to deal with first year issues, but they won't do a damn thing to fix the industry.

Have no idea what we'll do yet, but the issue list continues to build.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:29 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Thor will allow non dealer repair

Depending on your level of frustration a high level Thor rep will give you names of independent places. There guys make a living fixing, not selling. The best world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egslaw View Post
This might be applicable to the repairs section but it is more discussion;

I've been having a real problem getting warranty work done on my 2020 Palazzo pusher and have this basic question... Do I just have to suck it up and deal with the only dealer in my area or are there other options?

Any advice is helpful. FYI, in Northern California and been dealing with camping world.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
We bought our 2019 Windsport 34J at CW Vacaville and after 10 trips over the hill from Reno we finally yanked it out of there and Thor authorized us to use local repair shop. I had to pay the shop and Thor reimbursed me. Some negotiations back and forth when shop wants $100 and Thor pays $75 (for example) but overall very pleased with the arrangement. Thor paided promptly and I was so happy with their warranty service that I just upgraded to a 2021 Aria 3901 that is currently in production. I will take delivery at the dealership in Tucson so I intend to use the same approach and have warranty repairs completed by the independent shop rather than park my rig in the dealer's parking lot for 2 months while they "order parts" and "wait for authorization ".
Old 03-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #11

THOR #22026
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
Depending on your level of frustration a high level Thor rep will give you names of independent places. There guys make a living fixing, not selling. The best world!
I've had a second Thor representative reach out, just like the first he wants me to pick a service center, tell them what to fix and then they'll do something. I'd rather engage someone reputable to go over the RV and help me make the warranty list.

At this point right now, working on filing the title (Dealer failed to do a safety inspection) so I can get plates. This is after 30 days since delivery.. No plates, no title .... no Thor for that matter.

So how do I express the correct level of frustration?

I mean, does it take an attorney?
Old 03-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADix View Post

The réponse was unreal: he said other than one garage in CA and the Thor factory, everyone else was about the same.

He continued with statements that I could either do it his way or end up waiting perhaps months longer.

His response is very real.... this is the industry as a whole. If you are new to the RV world, this is the reality and its unfortunate.

Someone recently posed a question about which dealer to buy from between two in his area. This was my response to that thread. I think you will get the point Thor Customer Service was making.

I have not purchased from either dealer but have purchased from different dealers in the past. I currently have a 2020 Magniude SV34 and here is my take.... but some of this advice will be dependent on your location.

Between personal experience and reading plenty of stories, it is safe to say that 90%+ of RV dealers are lacking in adequate customer service and technical knowledge when needing service after the sale. It is also safe to say that 90%+ of new RV's will need warranty service. It's also safe to say it often take weeks or even months to get an appointment and can take just as long to get the coach back.

All that being said..... I don't buy from a dealer for their service. I buy from a dealer for the best financial deal I can make and who I think will be motivated to resolve all the issues discovered during the PDI before I sign the paperwork..... and there will be issues uncovered during the PDI.

If you want warranty (and even non-warranty) service done right the first time, you will be well served by having the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa, IN do your service. I've driven 6 hours one-way on two occassions to have them do work on my Magnitude and I would do it again.

All they do is fix Thor products... every day. They know the strengths and weaknesses of each model and how to fix things better than when the coach came off the assembly line. Dealers have a lot of turnover in their service department and they service dozens of makes and models and can rarely be an "expert" when it comes to servicing a specific model.

For small repairs, I have had Thor send me the parts (one of the reasons I hav stuck with Thor) and I have done the repairs myself because I know I will do a better job than most dealers and it will be much faster. For things I can't handle or major issues (like the issue I've posted about the Magnitude and Omni front cap flexing and separating issue, which you could experience), I have the Thor Service Center deal with it.

When you buy a car... or a boat.... or a snowmobile..... you may pay a little more for a dealer who you think will provide better customer service. When it comes to the RV industry, I think you are better off buying from the dealer where you can get the best deal and plan on getting your service from Thor.... or a shop in the area that is a true RV expert and cares about what they do.

You can throw all that out if you live to too far from Thor or you actually have a dealer locally that has a solid reputation for providing exceptional service.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Most of us that have had a Thor Industries product for several years can explain the repair processes. Thor Industries requires anyone, read anyone, that is doing warranty repairs to get an authorization from Thor in writing, before doing any work except for a estimation of the cost. The reason is Thor wants to know the labor rate and the parts supplied. Anyone can do warranty work if pre-approved (mobile RV tech, any RV dealer or a RV repair facility). That process also applies for vendor supplied items, also. In case accident damage, the insurance appraiser will work with the repair facility who works with Thor to supply the items required (doors, trim, paint). That process is mostly up to the rules written by the State's insurance commissioner.
It is really a simple process even if time consuming. The larger RV dealers who have worked with Thor before know the rules and will start repairs without authorization. I know MHSRV will.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #14

THOR #22026
Why does everyone want to explain the repair process?

I want to find a superlative RV mechanic or repair shop. I want to know what is wrong with my motorhome. I know a slide is non-functional, I know the chassis batteries are shot, and I know the hood (or opening mechanism) is bent all to hell.

I want to know if there are other issues. I need to decide if I want to undo this sale.

The dealer failed to register with Thor, failed to register with Freightliner, did not perform a safety inspection such that the title application was rejected. My temp tag has expired.

That was the nice and calm version of what we've been going through for over a month.

I am seriously at the point where I want to undo all of this and choose something other than a Thor brand.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #15

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADix View Post
Why does everyone want to explain the repair process?

I want to find a superlative RV mechanic or repair shop. I want to know what is wrong with my motorhome. I know a slide is non-functional, I know the chassis batteries are shot, and I know the hood (or opening mechanism) is bent all to hell.

I want to know if there are other issues. I need to decide if I want to undo this sale.

The dealer failed to register with Thor, failed to register with Freightliner, did not perform a safety inspection such that the title application was rejected. My temp tag has expired.

That was the nice and calm version of what we've been going through for over a month.

I am seriously at the point where I want to undo all of this and choose something other than a Thor brand.
I feel your pain but this is not Thor's fault. It is the dealers fault they did not process the paperwork properly. It sounds like the Thor rep was actually tryig to get you issues addressed in the quickest way possible.

Finding a good dealer (or even a good RV repair shop) is like finding a good contractor for your home when you need major repairs like a new roof or foundation waterproofing. You have to do your homework by reading reviews, checking out the BBB for complaints and even asking for referecences (customers who have purchased in the last 6 months you can talk to about the exerience).

Then it is incumbent upon you to do a thorough PDI to uncover any issues and have the dealer address them to your satisfaction before signing any paperwork. If they won't or can't resolve all the issues before you sign on the dotted line, you have two choices.....

- You walk away and find another coach and dealer (preferred approach).

- You decide you want the coach bad enough to accept the issues identified during the PDI and you come to an agreement that is documented with the dealer that the issues will be resolved by X date and time after you drive it off the lot... but you realize you are giving up a lot of your leverage and you are inviting potential issues because the dealer already has the sale.

If you chassis batteries were shot and the slide was not working, you should have never signed the deal if you found those items during the PDI.

When I bought my first coach, I found the chassis battery was dead during the PDI and I made them install a new one (not just charge it up) before I would sign the paper work. I also found about a dozen other items. I told them my wife and I were going to lunch and we would be back later. If they had everything fixed, I would sign. If not, I was heading home. We came back a few hours later and they addressed all of my issues.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #16

THOR #22026
So this is the part I don't understand.

I never said it was Thor's fault, it's quite obvious that the dealer was less than honest.

And that's the part where I'm asking for help. I don't know any good rv shops or mechanics. We've lived here only 3 years and never had an RV. So I ask Thor for some help in identifying a good one. Note I did not ask them to pay for anything at this time. I'm comfortable paying a reputable mechanic to go over the RV and find issues. Then when warranty work is done there's less chance of me coming back, since I don't know anything. Hell, a process like this could mean that Thor could open up time in their shop.

It's true that I should have done more myself, and if I had known I would have.

By the same token I have several people on this forum saying that people from Thor steered them to 'reputable' shops or mechanics.

So who decides who gets that information?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
what's up with your Palazzo, what 'warranty' work are you needing?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #18

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
[QUOTE=TADix;27961

.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem when I purchased from CW South Carolina. There was screw up and delay with a third party paper pusher. I contacted CW and they sent me a new Temp Tag so I could use my Thor ACE. It took 3 months to get the Title and Tag.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
TADix, just for shots and giggles who is this nefarious dealer? We as users should let everyone know when we find a good dealer or repair facility and when they are a POS we should call them out. Unfortunately I know of no one in your state for service
If you lived in my area I would recommend Terry's RV in Frankfort Il for a decent dealership with credible sales people and a good repair shop.
For a good independent RV repair shop we have Austgen's Fleet Service in Griffith In.
I know neither of these help you in NC put them in your memory bank if you are traveling through our area.
Now boys and girls can anyone in NC recommend a repair shop for this brother RV'r?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:49 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: it's time to call out this dealer by name...