Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2022, 10:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #26716
Does anyone know??

what colors the 12V wires are that run from the house batteries to the Axxera AV614BH radio?

I have a 2016 Thor 28Z class C. I replaced the Axxera (which had some functionality issues) with a Jensen Car800 I purchased from Crutchfields. The radio came with a plug and play wiring harness for the 2015 Ford E450. The radio works great, but after leaving the vehicle sitting for a week and a half, the chassis battery is dead.

I thought I saw somewhere that the Axerra radio was wired into the house batteries. If so, I probably have to cut the Acc/Ignition wire and battery wire and splice into the house battery wires. Online schematics for the Axxera show a schematic similar to the Jensen, where the wires were labeled "B+ and Acc".

Just trying to keep the MH from having a dead battery all the time if it sits. The dead battery issue started after putting in the new radio. One of the things I noticed is that the power on/off knob on the radio has an active red light when the vehicle is shut off.

If anyone has replaced their radio in a similar vehicle, perhaps they encountered the same issue?

I tried looking at the online manual, but couldn't find anything for the house battery going to the radio.

Thanks for reading this and any responses.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:05 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Many radios are powered off the Chassis Batteries

Mine is
Old 08-11-2022, 11:50 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
what colors the 12V wires are that run from the house batteries to the Axxera AV614BH radio?

I have a 2016 Thor 28Z class C. I replaced the Axxera (which had some functionality issues) with a Jensen Car800 I purchased from Crutchfields. The radio came with a plug and play wiring harness for the 2015 Ford E450. The radio works great, but after leaving the vehicle sitting for a week and a half, the chassis battery is dead.

I thought I saw somewhere that the Axerra radio was wired into the house batteries. If so, I probably have to cut the Acc/Ignition wire and battery wire and splice into the house battery wires. Online schematics for the Axxera show a schematic similar to the Jensen, where the wires were labeled "B+ and Acc".

Just trying to keep the MH from having a dead battery all the time if it sits. The dead battery issue started after putting in the new radio. One of the things I noticed is that the power on/off knob on the radio has an active red light when the vehicle is shut off.

If anyone has replaced their radio in a similar vehicle, perhaps they encountered the same issue?

I tried looking at the online manual, but couldn't find anything for the house battery going to the radio.

Thanks for reading this and any responses.
I have a class A but I suppose the wiring might be relatively the same. My coach has wires from both batteries to both radios, the Axxera in the front and the Jensen in the rear. Both radios use 12 volts from the chassis battery to keep the radio's memory constant. If the memory circuit was powered from the house batteries, the radio's would loose their memory when the use/store latching relay was in the store position. That keep alive circuit comes from the dash wiring harness with a 5 amp inline fuse just behind the radio. In the rear, it is part of the radio's wiring harness and where it it comes from, I do not know.
The fuse for the radio's power comes from the main fuse panel in the power center. under the bed It is 15 amp and labeled accessories. As far as I know, there is no inline fuse.
For my Axxera, red is the main power, yellow is the memory power and black is the ground.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:07 AM   #4

THOR #26716
So, if I can locate the house battery wires that went to the old radio, and splice them into the current chassis wires, that being red (ignition / acc) and yellow (12v battery) this should allow me to;

Use the radio, when the ignition switch is off (like when parked, camping etc.)
Not drain the vehicle battery completely, when sitting or stored for a week or so

Does this sound right?
Old 08-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #5

THOR #6411
Quote:
So, if I can locate the house battery wires that went to the old radio, and splice them into the current chassis wires, that being red (ignition / acc) and yellow (12v battery) this should allow me to;

Use the radio, when the ignition switch is off (like when parked, camping etc.)
Not drain the vehicle battery completely, when sitting or stored for a week or so

Does this sound right?
Yep that is the way the Axxera and Jensen are wired in my coach
Old 08-13-2022, 02:30 PM   #6

State: British Columbia
THOR #27643
Hi, I would suggest looking for your battery control centre, mine is located in an outside compartment. Once you find it, record the model number on it then google this model number. You should be able to get a wiring schematic for your coach and chassis batteries from this google search which should indicate the wiring to your radio.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
On my 17 outlaw class c chassis . It was a yellow wire for the keep alive. Had a inline fuse off the use,store relay coach battery terminal. The accessory wire came from a fuse in the power center.

Yes, you’ll have to cut and splice the to power leads.

Can’t check it now because I’ve upgraded to a outlaw class a now.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:23 AM   #8

THOR #26716
Well thank you everyone for the information. Here's where I am now. When I replaced the Axxera with the Jensen, the Jensen radio did not use the yellow (B+ from house battery) or the red (Acc/Ignition) from the MH power control box. The wiring harness for the Jensen plugged into the wiring harness for the E450 cab (a white with red stripe wire provided continual battery power) and instructions indicated wiring the red (Acc/Ignition) to the fuse panel beneath the driver side brake pedal.

What I had done was use the red wire (which was actually gray/black) that ran from the MH power panel for the red Acc/Ignition wire on the Jensen. This is the same wire the Axxera used, and there is constant 12V to it. For whatever reason, the yellow wire that was used by the Axxera, and that I was not using, was not indicating any power. No matter if the house batteries where in use, or disconnect, or even if the engine was running. This seemed odd since when I first checked the yellow and red wire when disconnecting the Axxera, both indicated a 12v continual power.

I tried tracing the wires, first from the house batteries (where it went into a plastic wire protector and disappeared under the floor) and could not locate any junction box or inline fuse. I made the same attempt at the dash, the wires ran from the dash to the driver side fender kick panel. Then under the plastic step (where I discovered a remote box for keyless entry) and under the chassis before going up into the floor somewhere.

I did discover that the red (Acc / Ignition) wire was spliced into the gray/black wire that ran to the MH fuse panel in the bedroom. It was labeled as number 9 / gry/blk / 15 amp / Audio-Video. Removing that fuse shut off power to that wire at the radio (and TVs). I have no clue where the yellow wire went to, and could not find any reason as to why power was no longer on the line.

I ultimately ran another power wire, from one of the house battery positive side, up to the radio. I put a 15 amp inline fuse on it. I cut the yellow battery wire for the Jensen (disconnecting it from the continual chassis battery 12v source) and spliced in the new wire. This should now keep the chassis battery from going dead due to the constant draw from the radio, and allow me to use the radio when the vehicle is parked and not running, without killing the chassis battery.

What I thought was odd though, was that the gray/black wire (Audio - Video) and labeled Acc/Ignition at the radio, was always hot, even when the MH batteries were in the disconnect position.

Any thoughts????
Old 08-16-2022, 01:14 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If memory serves (it often doesn't ) on our 2020 class C I found a 7 amp fuse near the BIM (firewall driver side) which powered the radio. It blew when I was swapping out the house batteries. Why it was there I have no idea.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #10

THOR #26716
OK, new to RV's, so what does the acronym BIM stand for? My guess is built in ///
Old 08-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #11

THOR #26716
Ha! Was just perusing another thread and saw Battery Isolation Manager! Don't know what that is, or where it is located, but I know what BIM stands for now!
Old 08-16-2022, 08:33 PM   #12

THOR #6411
Quote:
Ha! Was just perusing another thread and saw Battery Isolation Manager! Don't know what that is, or where it is located, but I know what BIM stands for now!
The BIM replaced the BIRD (Bi-directional Isolation Relay with Delay) in most Thor MCs in about 2018. At the same time, the Use/Store switch was replaced with the lighted Master Power switch. The functions are the same but the implementation is different.

There was a BCC (Battery Control Center) before 2015. The BIM is near the positive post of the chassis battery. The BCC or BIRD will be near the house batteries. If the coach has a battery competment, the BIRD it will be located there (usually).