Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
The one issue that seems to pop up a lot with Thor that I am unlikely able to repair is delamination. How well is the and water damage in general covered by most extended warranties? Anyone have experience with this type of issue after one year and got their money worth out of an extended warranty. I initially declined at dealer. Have six months of factory warranty left and no big issues so far.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #22

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Cancel it IMMEDIATELY!!! You'll be charged on a pro-rated basis from day one, the day you took delivery, even tho the extended warranty has no cost exposure, if you bought a brand new rig that's under factory warranty. You can get same or better coverage from non-dealer EW sellers at probably half the price you paid dealer. Check out Good Sam's EW's and Wholsalewarranteis.com. Plenty of other companies available but also check the discussions on this subject on this forum. Some are not worth the paper they are printed on.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:47 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
It is a personal decision even to have an extended warranty. Do you have plenty of money in savings? Do you just carry liability insurance on your cars and figure if anything happens you can just pay out of pocket for repairs? An extended warranty on a RV is just insurance.

With that being said, I would never buy one from a CW, nor would I pay over $4,000 for one. You should be able to get a 3 to 5 year extended warranty from Cornerstone or one of the other larger companies for around $3,000 or under. There is a huge markup by the dealer when they sell them to you.
Sorry I'm new around these parts
But I bought from a smaller dealer not lemons world for 7 yr 100,000 miles for 2,500
You can buy any time in 1st year but they tell u if u have higher miles or not purchased at same time as coach it costs more etc
IDK YMMV and I agree with the above but just a slide I guess would cost
Let the more experienced folks tell us and sorry if my posters is a repeat of what already said
I looked at a home at lemon's world and they wanted way too much for the warranty
Again ymmv
I feel bad about it after reading this thread and since I am changing coaches
I wish I had known about the forum
Mine covers or doesn't exclude covering anything
It is all covered
The selling point was that one refrig removal and /or having to repair water damage that u have to remove all items to get to the broken part and the labour is expensive
IDK I may call and cancel manana
Old 06-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #24

State: Arkansas
THOR #11525
I purchased an extended warranty (RV care) when I purchased my coach last month. I’m now having buyers remorse and thinking to cancel.

One of the big selling points was that RV care would cover the cost of a Mobil RV tech and that I could take it to any RV repair facility. I have since learned that in Texas any warranty repair must be done by a Thor dealer of which none exists nearby. The closest Thor dealer has a 4 - 5 month backlog. Big pain in the rear. So in essence, my 6 year warranty is only 5 years and I can’t get my repairs done in a reasonable time.

I’ve been at campgrounds where people were not able to retract their slides and needed a mobile tech. How likely and how expensive is this?
Old 06-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Seems you're talking two different issues...if I'm understanding you correctly. You mention RV Care will cover mobile techs and service at any repair facility... then you say that any "warranty" issue must be done by a Thor dealer (normal under most circumstances). Does RV Care not cover anything that should be covered by the factory warranty? Where does the "Texas" clause come in?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #26

State: Arkansas
THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Seems you're talking two different issues...if I'm understanding you correctly. You mention RV Care will cover mobile techs and service at any repair facility... then you say that any "warranty" issue must be done by a Thor dealer (normal under most circumstances). Does RV Care not cover anything that should be covered by the factory warranty? Where does the "Texas" clause come in?

As you pointed out, I need to clarify

The “Texas” clause is referring to Texas and many other states have laws that mandate warranty repairs be done by a manufacturer repair facility. Some states do not have these laws.

Yes RV care will cover the cost of a mobile tech or other repair facility but in Texas, not if it’s covered by manufacturer warranty. So my RV care is worthless for the first year.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #27

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
True. I'm not a fan of aftermarket warranties but I'm in no position to throw knives (as some do) to those who choose them. It's a comfort level thing. What you're dealing with here is exactly why I'm not a fan. Paying for additional warranty for items that are already covered at least for the first year. I don't know if this "savings" on their part is factored into the total cost or not. If you sleep better knowing you have the extra protection down the road...so be it. It's pennies on the dollar for what you paid for the coach. It's all based on perceived value. If you cancel it, can you re-purchase after the first year and what is the cost comparison? It may be a washout. Personally, I think anything major that can go wrong is gonna pop up in the first year. After that, major repairs are an adoption with the coach and I'll pay as I go. If you put the money for the warranty in a sock you have a small "cash cow" starter fund for this.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #28

State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
Our coach from CW is almost 1 year old. We cancelled when we figured out that it takes months for them to repair even warranty things. Now 9 months later we are so glad we cancelled! We saved that money. Best part is even if we have to pay for repair they will get us in before any warranty work. We have a large stash of money to pay for the repair.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I initially bought an extended warranty. Selling dealer 30 minutes from house.

Had unit 1 year, no real issues I could not handle myself and inadvertently connected to RV outlet at good friends place. 220V made A/ sound real strange. Killed it immediately. Only damage was power supply board to converter. I straightened out wiring, friend probably was not nice with electrician who wired plug.

End result, $160.00 drop shipped to farm from my Amazon account. Other than 45 minutes to troubleshoot, 30 minutes to install, vacation continued.

When I returned home, called selling dealer to see cost and if $100 deductable would have applied? Found out selling location was closed and remaining location is 2 hour drive. Had I taken to dealer was $576.00 that I would pay $100 on and lose RV for a few days to week

Cancelled warranty next day and got refund.

I worked almost 40 years in Industtial area and I build my own racecars. RV is much less complicated than I thought.

The thought of leaving RV at dealer for simple fix bothers me. Buddy paid $140.00 to get genny oil changed. I do my own. I put steering stabilizer on myself and change oil/filter and grease myself. The warranty looks like something I would never use.