Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 01:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #20206
Florida based RV - entry / screen door debate

My RV lives in Hobe Sound on the Treasure Coast, and in the summer it's super hot, humid and very often rains in the afternoons.

My question: Is it better to keep the entry door open with the screen door shut to keep it "aired out" or better off shutting the door and let it bake (like most cars, SUV's, etc).

I have my opinion. My wife has hers!

Open to your opinion...

Old 08-24-2020, 01:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
In storage? Or in use?

I've always stored my RVs with the roof vents open to let the hottest air escape.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If it has shore power run the AC. That is the best dehumidifier. I set mine to around 78 when not in use.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

THOR #20206
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
In storage? Or in use?

I've always stored my RVs with the roof vents open to let the hottest air escape.
It's in my driveway. Not stored. Yeah - opening the roof vents was an option, too.

To confirm, and probably an obvious question - they are rain resistant when opened, right?
Old 08-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #5

THOR #20206
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If it has shore power run the AC. That is the best dehumidifier. I set mine to around 78 when not in use.
We have a 24' Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (great size for parking and maneuvering) but have seen a lot more Super C's on the road lately. Very curious. My wife was driving ours through Indiana and almost got blown off the road! What's the smallest? What's your MPG?
Old 08-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from Hobe Sound View Post
It's in my driveway. Not stored. Yeah - opening the roof vents was an option, too.

To confirm, and probably an obvious question - they are rain resistant when opened, right?
Depends on if you have a cover on them:

Always one of my first mods on a new RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Unless you have absolute control over access to your Sprinter; I'd put covers over the top vents, and leave them open.

And welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Humidity is your biggest threat

Once mold takes up residence you are in for a long struggle to eliminate it. Especially if it gets behind the walls. Running the AC or a dehumidifier is critical to keeping that moisture down. Just opening a vent reduces the heat but doesn't address the humidity. You are on or close to the water, as am I, so it is not just the humidity but you are also dealing with salt air.
Setting the AC to 78 will keep your RV's AC running pretty much all day down here, you would need to set it to 83-85 . It would be cheaper to run a dehumidifier and drain to an empty grey tank or out thru a window.
Don't underestimate the damage the heat can do--you'll see forums where glue in lots of different areas gave way, but your real enemy here in S Florida is the humidity and corrosive sea air.
My coach "stores" on the side of my house. We put in a 50/30/20 A electric connection for the RV so we run our AC all the time (and the fridge cause ours takes forever to cool down). Advantage is when you step into our coach you never get that "smell" you notice in many "stored" units.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:21 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from Hobe Sound View Post
We have a 24' Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (great size for parking and maneuvering) but have seen a lot more Super C's on the road lately. Very curious. My wife was driving ours through Indiana and almost got blown off the road! What's the smallest? What's your MPG?
Around 32 or 33 feet. I average 8.5 to 9 towing. Not much different not towing because the coach can handle it.