Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24WTB TT
State: California
THOR #17393
Fresh water tank flush what to use?

I own a Thor 24WTB toyhauler I need to know what to use to clean out my fresh water tank I have never used it before I know where to fill it and drain it my pump comes on but I don't want to run it dry can anyone help thank you in advance

Old 04-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A lot of folks use about an ounce of hydrogen peroxide; for each ten gallons of tank capacity...
Fill it up, and let it slosh around a bit...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:20 PM   #3

Model: 24WTB TT
THOR #17393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
A lot of folks use about an ounce of hydrogen peroxide; for each ten gallons of tank capacity...
Fill it up, and let it slosh around a bit...
I will try that thank you
Old 04-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

Model: Omni
THOR #22133
I was instructed by a Thor representative to use 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of water. Mix in a bucket prior to pouring in the tank. Then fill the tank to almost full. Run both your hot and cold water valves until you can detect the odor of bleach. Drive your rig to splash the water within the tank. Then, let it sit for up to 12 hours. Drain, refill the tank and run the water until the odor of bleach is no longer detected. If necessary, repeat the process.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
I was instructed by a Thor representative to use 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of water. Mix in a bucket prior to pouring in the tank. Then fill the tank to almost full. Run both your hot and cold water valves until you can detect the odor of bleach. Drive your rig to splash the water within the tank. Then, let it sit for up to 12 hours. Drain, refill the tank and run the water until the odor of bleach is no longer detected. If necessary, repeat the process.
What Thor rep, a dealer or sales person?

Mixing the solution for every 15 gallons and then filling the. tank for the proper mix negates the unnecessary step of driving the vehicle to have the solution plash in the tank. It won't splash around because the tank is full. Common sense and thirty minutes of thought using the gray matter for something other than a hat rack will question the drive around logic.

All the manuals I have read about sanitizing say fill the tank and none of them have said drive around.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Model: Omni
THOR #22133
Hi Dave,
It was supposedly a technician from their service Department. He sent me the directions via email.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Unless a potable tank is knowingly contaminated or has somehow been partially filled and exposed to sunlight not much to worry about is going to be present

Your more likely to get bacteria from the hose bib following cousin Eddy's black tank hose connection

Peroxide will be fine without the sodium hypochlorite issues