Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #141
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I can see why, if you boondock a lot, you would want to keep a full fresh water tank. I have yet to stay in a place that has not had a water supply so I only keep a level in the RV that I will need to was a dish or take bathroom breaks until we reach the next campground stop.

PS: While we are on the subject of tanks I'd like to switch the subject to the other tanks.

My strategy in campgrounds with water and sewage is to open the gray so it runs out as I use it; but to keep the black closed for about three days so it builds up enough liquid to flush out with some force. And the night before I leave a campground, I close the gray so it builds up volume from showers to flush the lines when I dump.

Are there any suggestions out there on better strategies?
No, you have the correct procedure.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #142

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Why do you keep the grey tank valve open? It just lets the tank go dry so food particles and such can petrify and stick to the sides. I keep mine closed just like the black tank and dump when it gets mostly full or we prepare to leave.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #143

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I can see why, if you boondock a lot, you would want to keep a full fresh water tank. I have yet to stay in a place that has not had a water supply so I only keep a level in the RV that I will need to was a dish or take bathroom breaks until we reach the next campground stop.

PS: While we are on the subject of tanks I'd like to switch the subject to the other tanks.

My strategy in campgrounds with water and sewage is to open the gray so it runs out as I use it; but to keep the black closed for about three days so it builds up enough liquid to flush out with some force. And the night before I leave a campground, I close the gray so it builds up volume from showers to flush the lines when I dump.

Are there any suggestions out there on better strategies?
You must like the extra work? I am not going to want to hook up water twice, just for the benefit to drive 6-8 hours with 2/3 less fresh water. What exactly is being saved or benefit besides the feel good that you know will not use 2/3 water
during the trip? If you live someplace and water is hard or taste terrible so be it, but it is a crap shoot what the water will taste like at your campsite.

on the Gray & Black tanks...

Black Tank 1st: I failed to follow your intent about 3 days? Are you saying you dump black tank every days and again before you leave? My strategy is dump black tank whenever convenient for me after it reaches 2/3rds full, or whenever I need to dump my Gray because I will always dump Black regardless of level when needing to dump Gray, or prior to my leaving a campsite.

Gray Tank: I never leave my Gray tank open. I don't see the purpose. Normally our Gray tank will fill first (over 2/3rds). So we hook up sewer connections and dump Black and then the Gray.

Note: We never leave our sewer connections connected at a campsite (Disclaimer I know 90% of the people do). In our case ; we do not have a Toad, so we like the simplicity of just unplugging shore power and lifting the levelers; then just go into town or whatever there may be local to see. Our stays on average is about 3 days. My wife and I both work so we are a long ways from retired. With that said; 90% of the time we just dump both tanks before leaving. When finished we are now adding about 5 gallons of water (no chemicals) in the Black; so when I get home, I can dump it in our home sewer. The intent is to slosh & clean on trip back home.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #144

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Why do you keep the grey tank valve open? It just lets the tank go dry so food particles and such can petrify and stick to the sides. I keep mine closed just like the black tank and dump when it gets mostly full or we prepare to leave.
x2
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #145

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Don't dump food particles/grease down the sink onto your gray tank. It's just something else to get stuck on a sensor or lay in there decomposing/stinking. It's a little more work, but we wipe all dishes/cookware/utensils with sanitizer wipes or damp paper towels before washing with hot soapy water in the sink. I also never leave either tank open... I only dump when at least 2/3+ full.

I've had RV sales reps try to tell me that gray tanks can smell worse than black. Sorry Charlie... NOT MINE - only soapy water/shampoo and maybe some dead skin cells in mine!
Old 08-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #146

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You must like the extra work? I am not going to want to hook up water twice, just for the benefit to drive 6-8 hours with 2/3 less fresh water. What exactly is being saved or benefit besides the feel good that you know will not use 2/3 water
during the trip? If you live someplace and water is hard or taste terrible so be it, but it is a crap shoot what the water will taste like at your campsite.

** correct my brother has bad well water.so it fills at a good place.

on the Gray & Black tanks...

Black Tank 1st: I failed to follow your intent about 3 days? Are you saying you dump black tank every days and again before you leave? My strategy is dump black tank whenever convenient for me after it reaches 2/3rds full, or whenever I need to dump my Gray I will always dump Black regardless of level, or prior to my leaving a campsite.

** agree 100%

Gray Tank: I never leave my Gray tank open. I don't see the purpose. Normally our Gray tank will fill first (over 2/3rds). So we hook up sewer connections and dump Black and then the Gray.
** agree grey has never filled on us..thus leave closed

Note: We never leave our sewer connections connected at a campsite (Disclaimer I know 90% of the people do). In our case ; we do not have a Toad, so we like the simplicity of just unplugging shore power and lifting the levelers; then just go into town or whatever there may be local to see. Our stays on average is about 3 days. My wife and I both work so we are a long ways from retired. With that said; 90% of the time we just dump both tanks before leaving. When finished we are now adding about 5 gallons of water (no chemicals) in the Black; so when I get home, I can dump it in our home sewer. The intent is to slosh & clean on trip back home.
** agree no sewer hookups to be able to leave quickly.
We do same as you dump before leaving
Go idea will add 5 gals to black on the way home
Old 08-03-2021, 11:16 PM   #147

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Don't dump food particles/grease down the sink onto your gray tank. It's just something else to get stuck on a sensor or lay in there decomposing/stinking. It's a little more work, but we wipe all dishes/cookware/utensils with sanitizer wipes or damp paper towels before washing with hot soapy water in the sink. I also never leave either tank open... I only dump when at least 2/3+ full.

I've had RV sales reps try to tell me that gray tanks can smell worse than black. Sorry Charlie... NOT MINE - only soapy water/shampoo and maybe some dead skin cells in mine!
I bet if the cameras were rolling you are actually doing the same thing as Pete? I know my wife is chronically washing something inclusive of food particles, but she would NOT say that she dumps food particles or grease down the sink in the manner you imply. She has handy disinfectant wipes / toilettes in every drawer, However, when you wash dishes, by definition you will have some food particles and grease go into the black tank. Otherwise there would be no need to wash the dishes

Both tanks smell awful to me, but if I had to pick one to sleep beside an open 5 gallon bucket in the bedroom, I think I pick the Gray too
Old 08-03-2021, 11:41 PM   #148

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We put happy camper Calgon in grey
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:08 AM   #149

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Usually travel with 1/2 tank fresh water, but spent the day getting my potato chips ready for the next trip. I may be able to go to 2/3 tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chips.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	32525  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #150

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
I am just curious if some people actually connect the water hose and STOP at 1/3 tank before a trip, and / or go outside and drain their tank down to 1/3 before leaving? Really simple question
Before leaving my driveway, I think to myself: "hmmmm…. how much water will we need on this trip?"
Then I ask "how much water am I willing to lug around in excess of what we might need?"

If the level is anywhere close to my calculations, I do nothing. If I need more water, I add some.

Since my FW tank is almost never full, I will hardly ever want to drain water onto the pavement.

From the factory, my 23H FW tank could only be filled with a hose, using the outside fill port. So, it was difficult to know how much water was in the tank while filling. We all know not to trust the crappy little red lights and you can't see them from the opposite side of the coach. Under those conditions, most people will just add water until the tank overflows.

I added a bypass valve. Now I can lift the front dinette seat and open the valve to add City Water to my tank. The plastic tank is translucent so I can see exactly how much water is in there and decide exactly when to close the valve.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #151

Model: Wind sport 29M
THOR #24352
Somewhere in between for pit "on the fly" stop
Old 08-08-2021, 01:34 PM   #152

THOR #16721
Quote:
I bet if the cameras were rolling you are actually doing the same thing as Pete? I know my wife is chronically washing something inclusive of food particles, but she would NOT say that she dumps food particles or grease down the sink in the manner you imply. She has handy disinfectant wipes / toilettes in every drawer, However, when you wash dishes, by definition you will have some food particles and grease go into the black tank. Otherwise there would be no need to wash the dishes

Both tanks smell awful to me, but if I had to pick one to sleep beside an open 5 gallon bucket in the bedroom, I think I pick the Gray too
Actually I wash... she dries and puts away. You underestimate my degree of "anal-ness". NO FOOD PARTICLES go down that drain! I cook a lot in cast iron - which gets wiped/rinsed (outside)/oiled and stowed... then thoroughly washed when back home. I treat the sink as more of a sanitizing station than a particulate removal station. Yep... clean freak here in most situations... that's why I ALWAYS shower in the MH and never in the public showers. Not accusing anyone on the forum, but from the looks of some of the campground toilets - our dogs have better personal hygiene! Now, my armpits and "other stuff" stinks like anyone's... I just keep my distance...
Old 08-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #153

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Wrong 140...we always attach a campco filter and always have a full tank
141 posts! 99% of firehouses will provide you water and most Cabella’s have fresh water….

Just saying!
Old 08-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #154

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
This makes 153 posts on a thread labeled how much water to carry !
And the beat goes on...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #155

THOR #13058
Quote:
NO FOOD PARTICLES go down that drain! I cook a lot in cast iron - which gets wiped/rinsed (outside)/oiled and stowed...
So you are dumping some gray water outside

I have no problem with your process, I am just marveled by the thought. Some don't poop in the toilet either

We use the sink strainers to catch what we did not scrape into the trash before washing the dishes, pots and pans etc.

Our gray water is just that; gray water with very few paricles that you can occasionally see. Our black water is a brownish slurry, but never any solids because we use the Campa Fresh.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #156
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
This makes 153 posts on a thread labeled how much water to carry !
And the beat goes on...
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #157

Brand: DRV
THOR #11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Sounds like we have similar ideas

I fill to the L of the tank, less sloshing although i have never felt any

If were headed back out fairly soon, i add 1 oz per 10 gallons of 3% peroxide

And prior to traveling more peroxide as needed or fresh water and peroxide

Longer term storage always empty
I read about the Peroxide and was surprised no one commented on their or this particular water treatment.

We rarely use the freshwater for drinking but do use it for coffee and cooking.
But for Emergencies we do have about 10 gallons in the fresh water tank plus water heater is full. Cold weather travel (winterized) we flush with RV antifreeze.
It has been a very interesting topic. For the record for long term summer storage( on a dry lot) , I like the fresh water tank full so I can wash the outside and do other cleaning.
Clay with 40 foot FW
Old 08-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #158

THOR #16721
Quote:
So you are dumping some gray water outside

I have no problem with your process, I am just marveled by the thought. Some don't poop in the toilet either

We use the sink strainers to catch what we did not scrape into the trash before washing the dishes, pots and pans etc.

Our gray water is just that; gray water with very few paricles that you can occasionally see. Our black water is a brownish slurry, but never any solids because we use the Campa Fresh.
The crapper is the crapper... it's well used. But I'd spray ceramic coating on the inside of the gray tank... come on dk - join the "psycho club"! At least I don't iron my socks...

Now... what was this thread about? RIGHT! How to steer a thread completely off the rails!
Old 08-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #159

THOR #13058
Quote:
The crapper is the crapper... it's well used. But I'd spray ceramic coating on the inside of the gray tank... come on dk - join the "psycho club"! At least I don't iron my socks...

I have one type of sock, that I keep 21 black pairs of in my sock drawer; thus a 3 week supply to pull from. I never match them up, fold them, or twist together, just pick 2 and go.... Any tag on any clothing apparel that says "Need Ironing" or "Dry Cleaning Only" means to me DO NOT BUY. I think that qualifies me for the "psycho club".

Now... what was this thread about? RIGHT! How to steer a thread completely off the rails!
The thread is about whether or not Michael Jackson got the idea for his "Thriller" video from the moves and creatures in Sony & Cher's "Beat Goes On" video? or wait a minute was it about how many times can people post for comment on how many people when connected for filling their fresh water don't actually fill it; or when they check to fill, they may actually drain the fresh water

I am trying to rationalize the analogy, that if I plan a weekend trip to Lake Texoma (Texas / Oklahoma border) and I only need 1/2 tank of gas round trip; but when I check before leaving; I have a Full tank of gas; so I drain down to 1/2 tank to lighten load and because I know I can get gas most anywhere if I need it
Old 08-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #160

THOR #16721
Yep... I did the "black sock boogie" while I was still gainfully employed. I need to gift those to Goodwill. Completely get the "no pair" strategy... they're all single socks... never a mismatch.

Can't wear those now... the wardrobe has been reduced to shorts, t-shirts and my starter collection of Balega socks.

Tags
fresh water tank, potable water tank