Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8rcfan View Post
The vinyl on our jackknife sofa has disintegrated. in our 2017 Quantum. The captains chairs and dinette seem to be a slightly different color and texture. Maybe they'll last. Incidentally, a couple years ago, we had a set of home furniture from Rooms to Go that disintegrated the same way.

Unfortunately that’s pretty normal..you’re actually lucky you got 6 years out of it. It shouldn’t be normal, of course, but it is. There are hundreds of posts/threads on it if you search.

Old 10-21-2023, 03:04 PM   #122

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
On many motorhomes the covering was and is today Ultra leather, another word for plastic. I wonder everyone is replacing their furniture with new Ultra leather, is it any better than the original that lasted 3 to 6 years. I looked at some of the after market warranties and it ranges from 90 days to one year. Why don't they warranty the finish, except for normal wear and owner damage for 10 years, if they have a quality product. I did notice they have leather upgrade measured per square inch
Old 10-21-2023, 03:13 PM   #123

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Tiffin = Quality.... Don't make me laugh. While I had few problems with my low-end Tiffin Allegro. I have gotten an earful from High-end Allegro Buss owners I have parked next to about the stuff that has gone wrong with their units. It's as though the more expensive units with more bells and whistles have more that can go wrong.
I get the same feedback at campgrounds and from friends all the time. The bigger and more expensive the unit, the larger the repair bill. Driving a house down a bumpy road creates a lot of wear and tear, or terror.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:52 AM   #124

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I get the same feedback at campgrounds and from friends all the time. The bigger and more expensive the unit, the larger the repair bill. Driving a house down a bumpy road creates a lot of wear and tear, or terror.

And the more often something needs to be fixed. I got tired of it and downsized to a small slideless class C with no levelers, electric steps or other complicated stuff. May be just lucky but so far (6500 miles) the only issue I’ve had is an adjustment to the door latch striker. Not for everyone but we’re happier than we’ve been in years with our coach.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:04 PM   #125

Model: Siesta 24ST
State: Maryland
THOR #3964
Furniture flaking / peeling

We have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24ST with the same issues of the leatherette flaking and peeling. Thor CS told me to contact Lippert RE the theater seats but they couldn't find part numbers. Later on Thor identified the theater seat sofa as a 55 inch model 6734902, no longer available.

RE the captains chairs, Thor Parts identified the following:
0390598 CHAIR, RECOVER, P/S, KEEGAN DESERT / SHIMMER MAGNETITE / T270 CHOCOLATE WELT $401.50

0390597 CHAIR, RECOVER, D/S, KEEGAN DESERT / SHIMMER MAGNETITE / T270 CHOCOLATE WELT $401.50

Meanwhile, I'm starting to look at re-upholstering options locally -- live near a couple large marinas and boats have similar problems.

Anyone else order new captains chairs "skins" from Thor, and if so, did it work out?
Old 12-09-2023, 07:21 PM   #126

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
I had our sofa reupholstered with marine grade material, $600, dinette next
Old 12-09-2023, 10:57 PM   #127

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by munrore View Post
We have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24ST with the same issues of the leatherette flaking and peeling. Thor CS told me to contact Lippert RE the theater seats but they couldn't find part numbers. Later on Thor identified the theater seat sofa as a 55 inch model 6734902, no longer available.

RE the captains chairs, Thor Parts identified the following:
0390598 CHAIR, RECOVER, P/S, KEEGAN DESERT / SHIMMER MAGNETITE / T270 CHOCOLATE WELT $401.50

0390597 CHAIR, RECOVER, D/S, KEEGAN DESERT / SHIMMER MAGNETITE / T270 CHOCOLATE WELT $401.50

Meanwhile, I'm starting to look at re-upholstering options locally -- live near a couple large marinas and boats have similar problems.

Anyone else order new captains chairs "skins" from Thor, and if so, did it work out?
Why would you even think about ordering the same cheap seat coverings that were disintegrating ?
Old 02-07-2024, 04:20 PM   #128

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
There was a a period of time when the entire furniture industry got a horrible batch of vinyl covering from a now defunct company...
Sorry to say this; but you're not alone...
(Coming in years late here..)
Not alone in the issue, but how its handled by RV manufacturers makes a difference!
Some companies... Tiffin, for one, will send customers the new material for reupholstering their coach. Customers do need to pay for labor and find their own upholsterer to do it.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:31 PM   #129

State: Texas
THOR #31236
Redo

Anyone know where to get seats recoverd in michigan
Old 04-20-2024, 07:05 PM   #130

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Michigan is the size of...well...
Michigan....

Any local upholstery shop can do it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:03 PM   #131

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Our seat covers were made for thor by Williamsburg Furniture I called them and gave them the numbers on the tags on the flaps on the bottom of the covers and picked different color and Ultra leather by Ultra Fabric. Had them in 3 weeks and fit perfectly, also did the same with dinette cushion covers. 2yrs still very happy with them.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:08 PM   #132

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Ultraleather is a registered trade name of the Ultrafabric Corporation. This Japanese company that been manufacturing a line of polyurethane fabrics since 1966. Brisa is the registered trade name for one of their outdoor polyurethane lines. RecPro caries Brisa covered line of RV furniture.

My wife is a longtime interior decorator (40 years). All of the furniture she had recovered for clients in Ultrafabrics polyurethane have held-up well. The differences in interior and exterior fabrics is the thickness and the amount of UV stabilizers in the material. It ain't cheap!
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote