Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2021, 02:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: California
THOR #13345
Heat up front cabin area

Hello Rvers,
Just came back frm a 2 month road trip. Had a blast, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to keep the heat down in the cabin area. We have a Thor Windsport 2017 . Of course we put the sun shade down, but that area of the rig is noticibly hot. Has anyone tried a thermal curtain or something of the sort?????appreciate any thoughts.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:51 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We haven't done it yet but we have heard very good things about ceramic tint.

Also when we arrive at a destination for a several day stay we put up reflectex on the inside of the windshield and front passenger & driver side windows then close the curtains.
When parking the rig we try to not park the MH east to west as this allows intense morning or afternoon sun to heat up the front window.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
We have Reflectix panels cut out for the windshield and side windows.
We have installed thermal drape cloth on the hanging curtains that block the side windows and windshield.
We have installed floor to ceiling thermal curtains between the cab area and living area. This keeps the ambient heat out of the living area when camped, and keeps the cab area cool when driving in the heat as the cab A/C isn't trying to cool the whole MH.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Call Sunguard. These are game changers. You’ve got to stop the heat from coming in. $350. Custom made for your coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	121D728F-EA62-45E8-BEC7-0D4AC329F5DA.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	32618  
Old 08-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 31s
State: California
THOR #13345
How did u hang ur thermal curtains?
Old 08-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
How did u hang ur thermal curtains?

https://www.jrproducts.com/index.php...s&item=3780291
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #7

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
Hello Rvers,
Just came back frm a 2 month road trip. Had a blast, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to keep the heat down in the cabin area. We have a Thor Windsport 2017 . Of course we put the sun shade down, but that area of the rig is noticibly hot. Has anyone tried a thermal curtain or something of the sort?????appreciate any thoughts.
This is not what you want to hear but the best way to cut down on the heat is to put a sunscreen cover on the outside. Once the windshield gets hot it will transmit that heat to the interior of the coach even if you have a cover on the inside. When we had a Class A we purchased a custom built Magnashade that is held in place by magnets. If it was extremely hot we would do both the outside and the inside with a cover. That big picture window windshield is nice when you are tooling down the road but it also has some big disadvantages.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #794
Magna Shades

We bought a set of Magna Shades from Hunckler Fabrications for our 2014 Windsport after spending 5 days in Vegas with temps reaching 112+ every day. The are easy to put up and do a great job of reducing the heat inside. We also like them for privacy during the day. When we have really hot days we also close the curtains.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
I made reflective sun screens for all the front and side windows of the cab out of the rolls of insulated reflective material you can buy at your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menards. The material is like foil-coated bubble wrap, and very easy to cut and tape together. I measured the windows and cut the shields to size, but I made the mistake of making them for the inside of the windows. I thought it would be easier to mount the reflectors on the inside with heavy-duty Velcro, and keep them from sliding off or being blown off by the wind. I've since found out that those huge windshields have a habit of cracking because of heat trapped between an interior reflector and the glass. Before our next trip on Wednesday, I am going to change our reflectors mounting so I can stick them to the outside of the windows. We don't need to have cracks form! Oh, by the way, total cost of do-it-yourself reflectors like mine..?Right around $50.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
If home making reflective panels and you don't want to add magnets or fasteners to the outside, on a C you can slip the edge in the door jamb and close the door on it. When we towed a Jeep I did that with a yoga mat to protect the windshield from rock chips. Obviously something thin is best.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I made reflective sun screens for all the front and side windows of the cab out of the rolls of insulated reflective material you can buy at your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menards. The material is like foil-coated bubble wrap, and very easy to cut and tape together. I measured the windows and cut the shields to size, but I made the mistake of making them for the inside of the windows. I thought it would be easier to mount the reflectors on the inside with heavy-duty Velcro, and keep them from sliding off or being blown off by the wind. I've since found out that those huge windshields have a habit of cracking because of heat trapped between an interior reflector and the glass. Before our next trip on Wednesday, I am going to change our reflectors mounting so I can stick them to the outside of the windows. We don't need to have cracks form! Oh, by the way, total cost of do-it-yourself reflectors like mine..?Right around $50.
Please let us know how well that material holds up in the elements on the outside.