Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2019, 01:20 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alaska
THOR #4778
Heater controller board

I have a 2016 Axis 25.2 motor home. I have had to replace 3 controller boards due to water getting into the circuitry. The fan keeps running. Has anyone had the same problem? What did you do to correct it?
I would appreciate any help you might give me.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaxis View Post
I have a 2016 Axis 25.2 motor home. I have had to replace 3 controller boards due to water getting into the circuitry. The fan keeps running. Has anyone had the same problem? What did you do to correct it?
I would appreciate any help you might give me.
Yep, lotsa Thor coaches have this problem; a lot due to the vents on the heater door being cut the wrong way which directs rain into the heater instead of keeping it on the outside.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I had problems with water getting under the heater circuit board in my ACE30.1 despite the fact that I don’t have one of the louvered covers. The board sits on a plastic shelf where water accumulates. The water shorts the pins and makes the heater do strange things. The heater fan would run even though the thermostat was off. Sometimes it would cycle. Pulling the board and drying it off and removing the water from the shelf would make it go away....until it rained again.

After having it happen a couple of times I ended up sealing the flange of the cover with some rubber weather stripping. I tried Butyl tape, which sealed well but made the cover really hard to get off. The weather stripping seems to do the job as I hasn’t happened again...yet.

Atwood also makes a board relocation kit that angles the board up to get it higher off the shelf it sits on. When I called Atwood they said I had to go to an authorized repair company, which meant CW. I wasn’t going to deal with that so I drilled a few holes in the shelf and used a plastic wedge to angle the board up so I had more clearance. You have to be gentle as the board’s pins slot into a fixed connector.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #4

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
I had a 2016 Jayco with I believe, an Atwood heater. As the previous posts indicated, the louvered door was the reason for water entrance. Jayco paid for the board and labor which was performed by a mobile service. Also, Jayco sent me he modified door which corrected the problem.

Try getting the controller board reimbursement from Atwood or Thor. Contact Ron Baker or Nate Williams at Thor; they are incredibly helpful and very professional.

As a minimum, Thor should send you the retro kit which is very easy to install.