Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17962
House Battery charging

We have a 2020 Vegas 24.1 .... I am curious how the house batteries (we have two) stay charged .... is it when we're plugged in, and/or when the engine is running? Thanks everyone!

Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Both - if everything works as designed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The Vegas has a battery control system (they are different in different years) which automatically charges both the house and chassis batteries if you are on shore power, the generator or running the engine. The system also disconnects the house from the chassis battery when you are not under any external charging source so you do not run down your chassis battery and not be able to start the engine.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:40 AM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
some rigs are set up to charge the house system when the chassis engine is running
but are not set up to charge the chassis battery when the chassis engine is shut down and the house is plugged into shore power.
This is how mine was from the factory
When plugged into shore power, it only charged the house batteries

I added a trik l start system to charge the chassis battery from shore power
Old 06-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #5

THOR #1765
Yes. A lot of Class B’s are set up that way, including my Winnebago Travato. At least mine has an emergency start switch that can connect the chassis and house batteries. The engine alternator charges both the chassis and house batteries but shore power and the generator only charge the house batteries. There must be some system in these type of configurations that disconnects the house and chassis batteries when the engine is turned off and then connects them when the engine is turned on. Is anyone familiar with what system does that and how it works?
Old 06-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: California
THOR #17539
32n here, plugged in or generator... keep them up, if they go to zero charge you might have to buy new ones...
Old 06-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
some rigs are set up to charge the house system when the chassis engine is running
but are not set up to charge the chassis battery when the chassis engine is shut down and the house is plugged into shore power.
This is how mine was from the factory
When plugged into shore power, it only charged the house batteries

I added a trik l start system to charge the chassis battery from shore power
Ditto, Ditto. I inadvertantly discharged the chassis battery by keeping a Roav Viva (Alexa on the road) plugged into the dash 12v outlet over a long period of time whilst in storage and on shore power. Unfortunately, the Aux start system has never worked but, fortunately, Thor had the foresight to place a 12v outlet and a 110v outlet next to each other just to the rear of the passenger seat. So I mounted a permanently connected Battery Tender to the adjacent wall which backfeeds through the 12v outlet.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Red face Generator "Newbie" question

Hi all ! We own a 2019 Thor Chateau (22E) and wondering if the chassis battery (Ford E-Series) will charge as the generator runs (running all electric components and charging the house batteries at once).

Can anyone confirm and/or let me know where we can find the info in the Thor Motor Coach documents ?

Thanks for your help !

YG & CC
Old 06-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
Hi all ! We own a 2019 Thor Chateau (22E) and wondering if the chassis battery (Ford E-Series) will charge as the generator runs (running all electric components and charging the house batteries at once).

Can anyone confirm and/or let me know where we can find the info in the Thor Motor Coach documents ?

Thanks for your help !

YG & CC
East to check. Turn on your generator or plug into shore power and then measure the voltage at the chassis battery. If it reads over 13 volts (should be above 13.5v) the chassis batteries are charging off the generator/shore power. If you don’t have a volt meter, it is cheap and a useful tool to have. You don’t need an expensive one. I bet I use mine to measure some voltage at least once a trip,