Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2022, 10:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
How in the #(U&* do you open up the F53 Fuse Box??

As the "title" asks...how do you open up the F53 fuse box in the engine compartment?? Why do they make these things so freaking complicated????

Old 07-18-2022, 10:26 PM   #2

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
As the "title" asks...how do you open up the F53 fuse box in the engine compartment?? Why do they make these things so freaking complicated????
Found it...geesh, why don't they put an arrow over where the latch is, instead of these big arrows that say "PULL"??

For anyone else that has this problem...to open the box there is a small tab on the bottom right corner, where you see my finger.

Move the tap on this latch away from the box and then open the cover...it is hinged on the left.

Note: The big latch on the side of the box has nothing to do with opening the fuse box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F53 Fuse Box latch engine compartment.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	38783
Old 07-18-2022, 10:42 PM   #3

THOR #3923
Ok...now that I have found the fuse #13 which is the "Trailer Tow Electric Brake Controller Feed"; I still get no tone (using my wire tracer) from brake controller pin on the 7-blade connector on the back of the coach. So where in the heck is this blue wire going from the plug, or is it not connected up??
Old 07-18-2022, 10:46 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Many You-tube videos on how. Same as most Ford trucks, but he clips are on the back.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Ok...now that I have found the fuse #13 which is the "Trailer Tow Electric Brake Controller Feed"; I still get no tone (using my wire tracer) from brake controller pin on the 7-blade connector on the back of the coach. So where in the heck is this blue wire going from the plug, or is it not connected up??
Did you see my recent response to your other thread?

The brake application line just goes directly to the brake controller pigtail. The fuse you were checking is the +12 VDC supply line to the brake controller pigtail.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #6

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Did you see my recent response to your other thread?

The brake application line just goes directly to the brake controller pigtail. The fuse you were checking is the +12 VDC supply line to the brake controller pigtail.
Hey Ted...yes, I did see it, that is what led me to look to see if Fuse 13 was installed...and it is.

On my other thread, I took a photo of the plug I found which I believe is the brake controller and there is a blue wire...the thing is, I get no tone on this wire from the brake controller pin on the 7-blade connector. I'm going to try to ground it and see if that blue pin grounds out. Stay tuned.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:05 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Hey Ted...yes, I did see it, that is what led me to look to see if Fuse 13 was installed...and it is.

On my other thread, I took a photo of the plug I found which I believe is the brake controller and there is a blue wire...the thing is, I get no tone on this wire from the brake controller pin on the 7-blade connector. I'm going to try to ground it and see if that blue pin grounds out. Stay tuned.
Well the blue wire in the underdash connector "should" be a direct connection to the blue wire in the 7-pin trailer connector.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #8

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well the blue wire in the underdash connector "should" be a direct connection to the blue wire in the 7-pin trailer connector.
You are correct.
I grounded the brake controller pin on the 7-blade connector and then checked to see if the pin on that connector inside of the coach was grounded, and sure enough it was. I removed it and doubled check.

What I find really perplexing is that I connected up a tone/tracer on the trailer plug brake controller and I got no signal on the connector, so I wasn't 100% positive if it was the right connector/pin.

I could just solder onto this blue wire, but I think I'd rather find a mating connector and use that wire. Are all the connectors for the brake controller universal?

I think I just hijacked my own POST.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:16 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
You are correct.
I grounded the brake controller pin on the 7-blade connector and then checked to see if the pin on that connector inside of the coach was grounded, and sure enough it was. I removed it and doubled check.

What I find really perplexing is that I connected up a tone/tracer on the trailer plug brake controller and I got no signal on the connector, so I wasn't 100% positive if it was the right connector/pin.

I think I just hijacked my own POST.
But a good hijack as it confirms suspected connection.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:07 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
I'm not a fan of Ford's human factors engineering, especially as it has evolved over the last decade or so. It wasn't always this bad. Things like fuse box covers should be trivial to open. I have encountered similar difficulties on my own 2020 Ford CUV, and I have maintained and repaired all of my family's vehicles for nearly 50 years so I'm no babe-in-arms when it comes to this stuff.