Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Stupid is as Stupid Does ....

This was posted on another forum and I found it amusing to say the least....

"Had I not watched this with my own eyes I would no have believed it.

Camping last Friday and a rental RV pulls in across the way from us with two couples in it. After watching them try to back in for a few minutes Myself and another camper offered to help. We were told to mind out own business....okay sorry for intruding have a nice day, stop over for a beer later if you like, just trying to be friendly.

So back at my site, guy next to me and I grab a cold one and sit back to watch the show.

Finally get it backed in after 20 minutes. One gentlemen puts on gloves and proceeded to hook up to the sewer. Not sure what the issue is but he hooks up the freshwater hose and proceeds to wash out the sewer hose by placing the freshwater hose 2-3 feet inside and shakes and swirls it around. Gotta make sure those sewer hoses are clean. He then shoves the hose up the sewer connection on the rig a foot or two with the valve open to clear that out. Water flowing all over the ground.

I think we all know what's coming next......

wait for it.............

He hooks the same freshwater hose right up to the RV city water input. Takes off his gloves and with the job well done, heads inside. I'm sur for a nice clean glass of water.....

And people wonder why I only drink beer when camping"

There you have it....

Old 06-08-2016, 03:03 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
This was posted on another forum and I found it amusing to say the least....

"Had I not watched this with my own eyes I would no have believed it.

Camping last Friday and a rental RV pulls in across the way from us with two couples in it. After watching them try to back in for a few minutes Myself and another camper offered to help. We were told to mind out own business....okay sorry for intruding have a nice day, stop over for a beer later if you like, just trying to be friendly.

So back at my site, guy next to me and I grab a cold one and sit back to watch the show.

Finally get it backed in after 20 minutes. One gentlemen puts on gloves and proceeded to hook up to the sewer. Not sure what the issue is but he hooks up the freshwater hose and proceeds to wash out the sewer hose by placing the freshwater hose 2-3 feet inside and shakes and swirls it around. Gotta make sure those sewer hoses are clean. He then shoves the hose up the sewer connection on the rig a foot or two with the valve open to clear that out. Water flowing all over the ground.

I think we all know what's coming next......

wait for it.............

He hooks the same freshwater hose right up to the RV city water input. Takes off his gloves and with the job well done, heads inside. I'm sur for a nice clean glass of water.....

And people wonder why I only drink beer when camping"

There you have it....
We have been out a few times and seen stuff that wasn't just right and decided to lend a helping hand and the people always new better and didn't need out help... LMAO.... sorry but we also grabbed a beer and watched the show....
Old 06-08-2016, 03:12 AM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #4397
As a newbie (five years ago), I was terrified of doing my first sewer dump. But I've been told the campgrounds are filled with very nice people who are only too happy to help. I found someone who taught me how to dump my tanks properly.

I really enjoy the way many campers help each other in campgrounds!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
As a newbie (five years ago), I was terrified of doing my first sewer dump. But I've been told the campgrounds are filled with very nice people who are only too happy to help. I found someone who taught me how to dump my tanks properly.

I really enjoy the way many campers help each other in campgrounds!
We have all been there once before.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #5

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Don,

Amen to that.

You should have seen me trying to snake the stinky slinky out the access door of our Vegas. Thank heaven the gentleman next door came over and after looking at it for a minute figured out the drain had to rotate down and that's when I first saw the large screw-off opening in the floor of the sewer access box!

To this day I do not remember anyone at the dealership letting me in on that little secret!

Oh yeah, the three rules of plumbing: "Hot on the left, Cold on the right and $hit flows downhill" applies to RV life too!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The greatest thing about the mobile lifestyle is the people one gets to meet both online (here) and outside (at the campground). Not asking for help or accepting it when offered is about the stupidest thing one can do.

When I used to sail, I remember a similar incident. We were moored out at the Channel Islands. Late in the afternoon a boat pulls in and starts to drop anchor incorrectly; not taking tides and local knowledge into account. One of my friends rows over and tries to tell the guy that his anchor line will foul all the rest of ours when the tide changes. The guy got pissy and said that he did not need any help from anyone about dropping an anchor. My friend simply said to him, "OK, But if you start drifting my way, I am going to cut your anchor free." Needless to say, three hours later, there goes my friend with a bolt cutter because the new guy's anchor chain was riding up all of our anchor lines.

Time for another beer.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
I call these sorts of incidents - knowledge knots. Every time I bump into something with my head and I back up and think "wow that hurt, don't think I'll do that again" I wind up with a lump on my head - knowledge knots. Anybody that can save me from myself - come on I am a listening
Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
It would be really funny if the whole thing was staged to video the expression on the faces of nearby "experienced" campers. I can just imagine them appearing on YouTube.

It's hard to imagine anyone being so ignorant -- not that anyone is stupid by choice. Having said that, lots of smart people do and say stupid things also.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have always enjoyed visiting with fellow campers and have graciously accepted help when needed...THANK YOU ALL !
This past Saturday at KOA Bernalillo, NM, we had to take a site which was a backin, not long enough for our Axis and the 10' enclosed trailer. Ron successfully backed in the trailer to the side slot...got the motorhome in the site and decided he wanted to straighten up the trailer. He got out the dolly and we proceeded to straighten the trailer..when from across the lane, our neighbors came over and gave us a much appreciated helping hand. We became fast friends and hated to leave this morning. (and .. Doc and Cindy handed me their 'travelers card' ... we have business cards..when we get home I am going to print a card to hand to people we meet) We plan on exchanging info regarding campsites ! and hope to see them again !

Happy campers ! We LOVE our Axis !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Kay,

I hope you are having a great time there in Bernalillo. My uncle Pearl Harbor Survivor lived there for many years.

How flows the Mighty Rio Grande?

I like the Traveler Card idea!

Safe travels.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Kay,

I hope you are having a great time there in Bernalillo. My uncle Pearl Harbor Survivor lived there for many years.

How flows the Mighty Rio Grande?

I like the Traveler Card idea!

Safe travels.

Doc
Thank you Doc ... My family lives in Rio Rancho so the Bernalillo site was perfect for us. It is a bustling community !
The MIGHTY RIO is flowing well right now...With the rain up north, the channel looks better than I have seen it in years. We had showers every evening for a short time...mesa looks good..and the mountains are beautiful as always !

Love the Land of Enchantment !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #12

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Don,

Amen to that.

You should have seen me trying to snake the stinky slinky out the access door of our Vegas. Thank heaven the gentleman next door came over and after looking at it for a minute figured out the drain had to rotate down and that's when I first saw the large screw-off opening in the floor of the sewer access box!

To this day I do not remember anyone at the dealership letting me in on that little secret!

Oh yeah, the three rules of plumbing: "Hot on the left, Cold on the right and $hit flows downhill" applies to RV life too!

Doc
LOL.... Just to funny sorry but now you got to laugh about it....
Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #13

THOR #1020
Actually it was pretty crappy outcome. Sorry, I simply couldn't resist. Beat me
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #14

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
(and .. Doc and Cindy handed me their 'travelers card' ... we have business cards..when we get home I am going to print a card to hand to people we meet) We plan on exchanging info regarding campsites ! and hope to see them again !

Happy campers ! We LOVE our Axis !
WOW.... sounds like a very cool Idea... What all is on the card? I am guess both their names and a phone number?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
WOW.... sounds like a very cool Idea... What all is on the card? I am guess both their names and a phone number?
It is neat ..
centered are their first names

centered is their contact info

lastly US NAVY RETIRED

the background is an old world map in sepia with a compass and some passport appearing stamps

nicely done !

My project next week when we return home !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-08-2016, 11:51 PM   #16

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I call these sorts of incidents - knowledge knots. Every time I bump into something with my head and I back up and think "wow that hurt, don't think I'll do that again" I wind up with a lump on my head - knowledge knots. Anybody that can save me from myself - come on I am a listening
So are you still getting those knots on your head?
Old 06-09-2016, 12:47 AM   #17

THOR #1020
Bob - if you say you don't get knots. Your not using your coach OORR you're fibbing.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:55 AM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
So are you still getting those knots on your head?
Ron has so many knots on his head I think he is RVing Dingy !!
Everytime he works on it he is banging something..head or arms !!

But...it sure beats the alternative !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #19

THOR #1020
Ron and Kay - AMEN. Gotta keep working it.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 AM   #20

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
It is neat ..
centered are their first names

centered is their contact info

lastly US NAVY RETIRED

the background is an old world map in sepia with a compass and some passport appearing stamps

nicely done !

My project next week when we return home !
WOW.... so cool I think we all should do something like that.... I know we are going to have some made od some sort.... maybe even have you home or base station on it...