Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #19594
LCI Jack drops while driving

I searched the forum and could not find this exact issue, so sorry if it is a repeat.

When leaving the Catskills yesterday, we got the "retract error, return for service" message on the LCI panel as we were pulling out of the campground. I hit enter/retract which cleared the error but it occurred again about half a mile down the road. I pulled off and checked all the levelers and noticed the front driver side had lowered about 4 inches. Did the emergency retract again and it came back up, but within a few minutes in lowered again.

I had a similar problem last year in AZ during very cold weather and noticed we were low on hydraulic fluid so I strapped the jack up and continued my drive until I could refill the fluid and had no problems the rest of the trip.

This time, however, I found the fluid tank is full. When I use rubber straps to strap the jack up it continues to lower the 4 inches within about 30 seconds.

Finally I tried lowering and retracting the front jacks and it seemed to clear everything and the jack was fine for the rest of the drive, although I still strapped it up.

We still have about 1000 miles to home and I am a little worried about this happening somewhere where I can't easily pull off.

Anyone have any experience with this issue

Old 10-13-2022, 06:14 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpandt View Post
I searched the forum and could not find this exact issue, so sorry if it is a repeat.

When leaving the Catskills yesterday, we got the "retract error, return for service" message on the LCI panel as we were pulling out of the campground. I hit enter/retract which cleared the error but it occurred again about half a mile down the road. I pulled off and checked all the levelers and noticed the front driver side had lowered about 4 inches. Did the emergency retract again and it came back up, but within a few minutes in lowered again.

I had a similar problem last year in AZ during very cold weather and noticed we were low on hydraulic fluid so I strapped the jack up and continued my drive until I could refill the fluid and had no problems the rest of the trip.

This time, however, I found the fluid tank is full. When I use rubber straps to strap the jack up it continues to lower the 4 inches within about 30 seconds.

Finally I tried lowering and retracting the front jacks and it seemed to clear everything and the jack was fine for the rest of the drive, although I still strapped it up.

We still have about 1000 miles to home and I am a little worried about this happening somewhere where I can't easily pull off.

Either a leaky valve or a bad Oring in the hydraulic cylinder. Could be a valve sticking as well. Fork oil might help if you haven't already added some.

Best option is to pull the cylinder and replace the Oring and seals. Then if it occurs again, you know it is the valve. Not a difficult job at all., Just a tad messy.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
I'm having the same problem with one of my levers. It's happened a couple times before, but extending the jacks then retracting them solved the problem. This time that's not working.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:57 AM   #4

THOR #19594
Just wanted to update and refresh this thread as we are finally able to take it in for service next week and the problem continued throughout our trip home, quite aggravating.

I called LCI when we were about 500 miles from home after spending a few hours going through the troubleshooting guide.

First, the problem occurred on 3 of the four different jacks on the way home.

LCI had me check fluid levels and for leaks, which I already had. I traced every line and inspected each jack and the compartment where the leveling unit is mounted and found no leaks. The reservoir is full.

Jacks drop 4 inches while driving and sometimes while parked, but only one at a time. It takes about 30 seconds. Tech suggested trying to strap them up, which I did, but the jacks are under pressure when dropping, so the straps (tried both strong rubber and ratchet) could not hold it. I had to release the ratchet strap for fear of damaging/bending the foot, and the rubber strap popped off under pressure (dangerous).

The tech felt that since I was having the problem on multiple jacks it was not an issue with individual jacks or solenoids, but something with either the pump, control unit or panel.

Extending and retracting all jacks at rest areas seemed to help clear the issue, but not all the time. Later in the drive or the next day it would start back up again.

Another interesting thing is that while driving, after I would clear the retract error message, the jack would drop and the retract error and alarm would go off again, always within 86 to 90 seconds after I cleared the previous message. My wife timed it 10 times in a row, and on different drives. Always 86 to 90 seconds.

We did have a similar issue on the right rear jack two years ago when we first bought the RV, but found that the fluid in the reservoir was down about two inches and once I added fluid the problem was resolved. Took it in to a service shop in Oregon, and later to our local shop here in Florida and neither could find any leaks or anything wrong with the system.

We are taking it back to the dealer, Lazydays here in Tampa on Monday, and any input you all have may help me in discussions with the service tech next week.

Quote:

Old 12-30-2022, 01:19 AM   #5

THOR #19594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
I'm having the same problem with one of my levers. It's happened a couple times before, but extending the jacks then retracting them solved the problem. This time that's not working.

Did you ever get a resolution?
Old 12-30-2022, 03:18 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Possible not related, but I had a similar problem. Big Foot jack would "drift" down during driving, which would trip the jack down alarm.

Big Foot instructed me to FULLY extend all four jacks and leave them for at least an hour. I actually left longer. Not saying it would make any difference in yours, but that fixed mine.
Old 12-30-2022, 03:24 AM   #7

THOR #19594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Possible not related, but I had a similar problem. Big Foot jack would "drift" down during driving, which would trip the jack down alarm.

Big Foot instructed me to FULLY extend all four jacks and leave them for at least an hour. I actually left longer. Not saying it would make any difference in yours, but that fixed mine.

Interesting, extending and retracting does work sometimes, but I usually only do it for a few minutes. Hadn't tried an hour. But then again, sometimes it happens after the jacks have been extended all night. Did they by chance explain why that worked?
Old 12-30-2022, 04:35 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Interesting, extending and retracting does work sometimes, but I usually only do it for a few minutes. Hadn't tried an hour. But then again, sometimes it happens after the jacks have been extended all night. Did they by chance explain why that worked?
Note FULLY extended... which means wheels probably off the ground. That freaks some people, but if done properly and on reasonable level ground, the motorhome isn't going anywhere... which means e-brake set (which locks the rear wheels) - then raise front fully, followed by raising the rear. Reverse procedure to return to Earth.

As for fixing... Big Foot told me that procedure effectively bleeds air from the hydraulic system. I haven't had any problem since, so I have no reason to question the logic.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
So you had a sticking valve, check valve, solenoid, or seal

Did you try fork oil, Marvel Mystery oil, or any of the friction modifiers?
Old 12-30-2022, 09:53 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #989
Following for future reference. Hope they find the problem.

Tags
lci leveling system