Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #20250
Not looking forward to this trip!

We had a family tragedy that has left my wife and I to care for a seventeen-year-old niece who lives in Florida. We live in Upstate NY. The wife has been down in Florida dealing with arrangements for several weeks. I went down to clean up a hoarder house that was dumped in our laps as part of this same mess. Two 30 yard dumpsters later we are both back in Rochester and about to head out tomorrow in our Thor Hurricane 29m and drive back down to Florida so the wife and niece have someplace to live (housing costs are ridiculous).

Everyone is already aware of the gas costs so I won't even go there, but right now the temps here are 18 degrees and we are being hit with a bomb cyclone. I put a good-sized electric heater in the rig yesterday and ran it all day and it only got to about 36 degrees inside. I'm not going to risk de-winterizing it until we are a couple of states farther south.

And the slide is broken. Again. Thanks, Schwintek.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It’s going to warm up over the next couple days.

Safe travels
Old 03-13-2022, 03:14 PM   #3

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Bless you for not turning a blind eye to family.
Won't be easy for any of you.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #4

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
Greg, sincere condolences to you and the family. Having to uproot a 17 YO will be difficult, particularly if they have not finished HS yet. Try to be tolerant and open minded with her as she's hurting too. I know how you feel as I'm outside of Buffalo and need to de-winterize to head to Bigfoot for levelers on the 21st. All northern states, but looks like weather is moderating next week. Although not fun, your plan to do your unit after you get farther south make sense. Remember to take tools and plan to be near a supply house (HD, Lowes, Gander, Walmart, etc) just in case. Since the forum is as big as it is, you may want to reach out along the way in case you need help. I know I would help if I was on your route. Slow and easy wins the race and safe travels.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:17 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We're too far west for you, but I would be glad to provide a moochdock spot here in Ohio. We're supposed to be into the 60s daytime temps this week... night time temps are also well above freezing into the 40s. So sorry for your situation... safe travels!
Old 03-13-2022, 08:42 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateGreg View Post
We had a family tragedy that has left my wife and I to care for a seventeen-year-old niece who lives in Florida. We live in Upstate NY. The wife has been down in Florida dealing with arrangements for several weeks. I went down to clean up a hoarder house that was dumped in our laps as part of this same mess. Two 30 yard dumpsters later we are both back in Rochester and about to head out tomorrow in our Thor Hurricane 29m and drive back down to Florida so the wife and niece have someplace to live (housing costs are ridiculous).

Everyone is already aware of the gas costs so I won't even go there, but right now the temps here are 18 degrees and we are being hit with a bomb cyclone. I put a good-sized electric heater in the rig yesterday and ran it all day and it only got to about 36 degrees inside. I'm not going to risk de-winterizing it until we are a couple of states farther south.

Great support for the family.
I would 100% go.
Glad you have an amazing MH
We open drawers to circulate heat and put in the windows the same stuff one uses to block the sun in cars..Amazon has we used all winter traveling. Handled 14 degrees without winterizing
Good luck..drive slow.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

What part of Florida?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #8

THOR #20250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensob View Post
Greg, sincere condolences to you and the family. Having to uproot a 17 YO will be difficult, particularly if they have not finished HS yet. Try to be tolerant and open minded with her as she's hurting too. I know how you feel as I'm outside of Buffalo and need to de-winterize to head to Bigfoot for levelers on the 21st. All northern states, but looks like weather is moderating next week. Although not fun, your plan to do your unit after you get farther south make sense. Remember to take tools and plan to be near a supply house (HD, Lowes, Gander, Walmart, etc) just in case. Since the forum is as big as it is, you may want to reach out along the way in case you need help. I know I would help if I was on your route. Slow and easy wins the race and safe travels.
The biggest reason we are going through with this, instead of just bringing her up here, is that she has only 11 weeks left in her senior year.

Good thought about doing the de-winterization in an HD or Lowes etc parking lot.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #9

THOR #20250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What part of Florida?
Deltona, between Daytona and Orlando. The campground is somewhere in the general area but I am not sure the exact site as the wife arranged it.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:49 PM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
You're good people for helping in a bad situation.

When the dust settles, spend some money on yourself and your coach and replace the horribly designed Schwintek Slide Mechanism with the Vroom Slide System.

Vroom Slide Systems - Quality Fix for Your Broken RV Slide Out

It was the best $2500 I ever spent on my Magnitude SV34. I don't think you will ever have to worry about the slide again.

But after my reviews and some other publicity, he is booked out through the end of summer already.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #11

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
You will all be glad how you're handling this after she graduates. If you can do without the slide for a while it will be less stressful, but I have used RVCare Pros to fix my schwintek slide system about 2 months ago while in Florida, they have techs all over Florida.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Deltona, between Daytona and Orlando. The campground is somewhere in the general area but I am not sure the exact site as the wife arranged it.
OK, you're probably coming down 95 through Jacksonville. If you were coming down 75 I could have offered you a driveway spot for the overnight where you could dewinterize and maybe check out the slide situation.

I'll be in Deland on Friday (a short hop to Deltona) so if you still have slide issues send me a PM and maybe I can swing by. Best of luck in this new adventure.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
The biggest reason we are going through with this, instead of just bringing her up here, is that she has only 11 weeks left in her senior year.

Good thought about doing the de-winterization in an HD or Lowes etc parking lot.
Good luck we had a similar situation with a 16 girl and 12 boy. Girl wanted to go live with others brother wanted to stay. I said only both. Fast forward girl 38 boy 36 say it was the best decision in their life. They acquired 2 other siblings. She is a top graphic artist and he used to fly on private planes for Goldman sachs..now big Amazon person. Both and all 4 kids no college tuition..I told them we must must do our best for A In school and no family fighting and wife and I will provide you a fun life!
It worked. Find her interests NO MATTER WHAT and let her do it!

Good luck
Old 03-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Too late for the op, but for others reading this thread:

I'm not understanding the
Preheat with an electric heater instead of propane built in central heat.

And
If you didn't preheat at all:

Get in
Start engine,
turn on dash heater
turn on central propane heat
Drive away.
(The spousal unit solo'd with the girls this weekend. She did exactly as above at home upon leaving, then did it the next morning from the campground. We all do...countless times.)

The
'No matter what' statement needs a bit de-edged.
Stripper
Ancient French literature major.
Patrons only
Pop music star(and no talent or background)
Baby's mamma.
Giselle
Clyde Barrow as a boyfriend
Welfare as a life-style

Lots of reason to GUIDE instead of watch the carnage.

We had no pitfalls with ours Scuba had none with theirs.
Maybe this girl can't get a 4.0. Maybe she can but peaks in high school.
We all know the peaked in high school people.
Mold her to her best best.
(if it's not already too late. In less than a year you might be just the old people keeping her down)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #15

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Safe travels

God always throws us a curveball, but there’s always a reason too. Just above my pay grade.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:14 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:

I’m so very sorry for your family’s loss. God bless you and your wife for caring for your niece. Safe travels on your trip to Florida, and good luck to the three of you.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Upstate Greg

Greg,
We used to live in Roch. and moved to Myrtle Beach 11 years ago. When we travel back & forth in our Windsport 32R, We take US 15 though Harrisburg and down to Frederick, MD. Depends if you like white knuckle driving down I 95 (I can't stand it). We stay on 15 to US 17 in Warrenton and take that to I 95 in Fredericksburg. I 95 ain't bad once you are south of DC.
Gas at Mile marker 104 and 4 are the cheapest gas in Virginia. I don't know how far you want to go each day. My limit is about 400 miles. There are a couple of decent KOAs on that route, One south of Williamsport, PA and one in northern NC. There is a good KOA at mile marker 4 in Ga. just before the Florida line. Gas right now at my house in Myrtle Beach is $3.68 which is horrible but way better than most places.
Good Luck with the slide and the trip.
Tim
Old 03-20-2022, 04:45 AM   #18

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:

I have a 2018 Windsport 29m which is the cousin to the Hurricane. I feel your pain on the slide out. Mine broke and Gander RV replaced the entire system, motors, gear tracks on the slide wall outside and all the gearing. They did a good job BUT I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before it fails again. It's just not strong enough to move such a heavy room. There's a place in Arizona that has a system that is much better but you have to go to them to install it. I'd order one tomorrow if they would ship it to me and I'd pay someone here to install it!!!!! Good luck on your travels and be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #19

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m which is the cousin to the Hurricane. I feel your pain on the slide out. Mine broke and Gander RV replaced the entire system, motors, gear tracks on the slide wall outside and all the gearing. They did a good job BUT I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before it fails again. It's just not strong enough to move such a heavy room. There's a place in Arizona that has a system that is much better but you have to go to them to install it. I'd order one tomorrow if they would ship it to me and I'd pay someone here to install it!!!!! Good luck on your travels and be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See post #10 above. I already recommended he make an appointment and go to Tucson to have the Vroom Slide System installed once the dust settles.

You have a motorhome so plan a trip out thete and get it done regardless of which part of the country your located.

He was working with a company in rhe Northeast to offer a closer location for people on that side if the country. You could call and ask if they are set up yet if that would be closer.

I live in Florida and my coach is stored in PA. It was the best upgrade I did for my Magnitude.

He’s booked up through July already so you would have plenty of time to plan a trip to get it done.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:01 PM   #20

State: Ontario
THOR #17549
Quote:

Good for you and your wife. All the best.