Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #14304
Oil change when on roadtrip

Planning on an extensive roadtrip of around 10K miles with our Windsport 33x. We'll have our oil and filter changed with Mobil 1 just before we leave, but will need another probably halfway.
Does anyone know if most Ford service centers will do an oil change 'while you wait' on a motorhome?
Thanks!

Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A lot of the commercial Ford dealers have installed quick lube bays. If you cna't find a Ford dealer, many of these type business are clustered around truck stop areas. You shouldn't have problem finding one most anywhere.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If you’ve put a fumoto valve on the oil pan you might consider doing it yourself. With the appropriate plastic hose you can drain directly into an empty milk bottle (you’ll need two gallon size bottles) without spilling a drop. You’d probably need to skip the filter but in my opinion that’s fine in your case. Notwithstanding that most campgrounds have rules against doing mechanical work you could do it in just a few minutes and then drop the old oil off at a parts store at your convenience. Just a thought.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If you’ve put a fumoto valve on the oil pan you might consider doing it yourself. With the appropriate plastic hose you can drain directly into an empty milk bottle (you’ll need two gallon size bottles) without spilling a drop. You’d probably need to skip the filter but in my opinion that’s fine in your case. Notwithstanding that most campgrounds have rules against doing mechanical work you could do it in just a few minutes and then drop the old oil off at a parts store at your convenience. Just a thought.

I've done that exact thing, but I'm not sayin' where! I do it about daybreak, and there are rarely any witnesses. I use a cheap tarp and some newspapers, and there is never a trace of evidence.

Some say it is better to ask forgiveness than permission!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 PM   #5

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Found this on the web.....
THE CORRECT CHANGE INTERVAL FOR SYNTHETIC OIL

Today’s synthetic oil products are able to offer protection far longer than the old standard of 3,000 miles. Still, their recommended change interval is typically slightly lower than the limit they can withstand, and most experts will recommend changing your oil before that limit, in order to avoid unnecessarily straining the engine. According to ELF, the correct change interval for synthetic oil is between 7,500 and 10,000 miles. The special synthetic oil used for Toyota and Jaguar vehicles has been approved for change intervals of 10,000 and 15,000 miles respectively, while the shortest interval is that of 5,000 miles for Kia and Hyundai models with turbochargers. Mobil 1 is currently at the top of the charts with their Extended Performance oil guaranteed for a safe synthetic oil change interval of 15,000 miles. While it is safe to extend oil change intervals when using synthetic oil, keep in mind you should also upgrade to a premium oil filter designed for synthetic oil. These filters have larger capacities to contain impurities and will last longer service intervals.

I personally would not worry about a mid trip oil change if using Mobil 1. I would just keep checking the level. Mileage change interval is computed for all types of driving , stop and go and highway. During highway driving the oil is hot and burning off moisture and fuel bypassing the pistons. Unlike stop and go traffic and short trips where the contaminates stay in the oil.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #6

THOR #14304
Thanks everyone for the replies. Not much of a do it yourself guy, so I'm somewhere between extending the time between changes and keeping an eye out for a convenient service place.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Unless you just love knowing you did it yourself, have it done...it's not expensive. There was a day I did everything, and still do most things...if I'm home. On the road...no! It parallels cleaning and vacuuming your hotel room before you check out. Pay someone else for the convenience. Kinda like those folks that spend hours washing the RV in a campground...really??? You can run it through a Blue Beacon for $33. Takes 10 minutes as 6 people work on it and they do a much better job. But, there are those who spend $150-200K on a motorhome and whine about a $2 bag of ice at the campground, or argue and make a huge scene over why Arby's doesn't give them a "Senior Discount"!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Unless you just love knowing you did it yourself, have it done...it's not expensive. There was a day I did everything, and still do most things...if I'm home. On the road...no! It parallels cleaning and vacuuming your hotel room before you check out. Pay someone else for the convenience. Kinda like those folks that spend hours washing the RV in a campground...really??? You can run it through a Blue Beacon for $33. Takes 10 minutes as 6 people work on it and they do a much better job. But, there are those who spend $150-200K on a motorhome and whine about a $2 bag of ice at the campground, or argue and make a huge scene over why Arby's doesn't give them a "Senior Discount"!!
How do you think the got to the point of affording $200k for a rig? A penny saved..
Lol
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote