Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum KW29
State: Texas
THOR #23532
Question Private Inspection

We are still waiting for the delivery of our 2022 KW29. We would like to have it inspected before signing the final paperwork for our peace of mind. We contacted an inspector and was told that dealerships won’t allow us to do this. How do we get around this? I have contacted our contact at the dealership, but have not heard back from them.

Many thanks for your help.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is the Dealership telling you this?
If they are: I'd threaten to walk away from the deal.
It's your money....
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #3

THOR #23532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Is the Dealership telling you this?
If they are: I'd threaten to walk away from the deal.
It's your money....
The inspector told us that. I finally heard back from the dealership and they have no problem with it. Maybe we should look for a new inspector.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Don't tell them you "friend" is an inspector - he's just an experienced RVer that is helping you with the standard Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). PDIs are you chance to inspect the RV before accepting and finalizing the deal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #5

THOR #23532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Don't tell them you "friend" is an inspector - he's just an experienced RVer that is helping you with the standard Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). PDIs are you chance to inspect the RV before accepting and finalizing the deal.
Well, i guess i could say he’s a friend, but i don't do well with lying, but i do want the peace of mind. Knowing the inspector is certified gives me some peace.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you don't describe the relationship: you're not lying...
Having that extra set of experienced eyeballs working for you: PRICELESS!
Old 07-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
After you hire and meet your inspector, you now know him/her and he/she is now a "friend" so you are not lying at that point.

Paul
Old 07-16-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If he's not your friend: you could always call him an In-law...
Old 07-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #9

THOR #24089
I'd have a well-known, mechanically inclined forum member who lives near you, who owns a similar Thor come by and check it out. JMHO

I've learned soooooo many tricks & tips for my 25.2 Axis over a 3 year period. Now that I've made it safe to drive, Im focusing on converting the 2-way fridge to run on battery, and adding 200 watts of MPPT (very important in my case) solar in the process.

So, someone similar like me who knows YOUR rig would be a great benefit.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Most reputable dealers have no problems with you hiring a professional inspector. If the dealership says no then walk away from the dealer because they are not reputable and do not have the customer's interests in mind.

Don't lie and don't sugar coat it. Hirte an inspector and let the dealer know it is an inspector.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Maybe this is a possibility for a new option/category on this forum for new buyers...a section for finding an experienced owner of like and kind models in the purchase area that will help a new buyer through the PDI process. Obviously there will be disclaimers, etc., but how many people have we seen on here that would have make this choice if it were available?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
While I like the idea: it's a little bit impractical.
A licensed inspector should have professional liability insurance coverage...
An experienced friend won't...
Old 07-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #13

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Maybe this is a possibility for a new option/category on this forum for new buyers...a section for finding an experienced owner of like and kind models in the purchase area that will help a new buyer through the PDI process. Obviously there will be disclaimers, etc., but how many people have we seen on here that would have make this choice if it were available?
Guys, you've only seen handful of my recent posts. This site blocked my prior NewAxisOwner log-in from being able to post my much-needed, non-stop repairs / modifications. If this one gets blocked, I'll make up another and another etc... lol
Old 07-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #14

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
While I like the idea: it's a little bit impractical.
A licensed inspector should have professional liability insurance coverage...
An experienced friend won't...
After buying several houses / cabins lately, and using "professional" home inspectors, I have discovered several snafus in each of their inspections. Some mistakes were mind-blowing... All from different companies.

I don't know, these thors are built with match-sticks and shortcuts, only a seasoned owner would know these things. JMHO

For example, the Axis fresh tank water drain sticks out like 2 inches out from under the floor, soaking everything underneath. Why not use a 14" hose and solve that issue?

I complained of a much-needed screen built in to my generator door cover due to excessive temps, and I was chastised for it. Now, guess what, they come with screens... Does that mean a recall is in affect? If not, their should be. I havent received anything.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #15

Model: outlaw 37rb
THOR #5223
Lying about your "Friend"

We all have many acquaintances and most of them are not friends, while they may be friendly. That word best describes a relationship without lying. Thank you for posting that you do not like to lie. I think an inspector is a great idea and smart. I will not take possession of my next rv unless everything is fixed first.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:42 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A wise course of action.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #17

Model: Palazzo
THOR #3353
As a NRVIA Certified Inspector, trained, licensed and insured, in business with a professional website, with reviews and references, I say be honest. In this case, there may be dealer change in policy for 3rd party inspectors. There have been lots that said no one day, and yes the next. I speculate that this is largely due to people walking away because the dealer said no....and changed their ways. Find a certified inspector in your area. Interview them, contact the dealer and make the arrangements. You can expect the dealer to say, (1) we do our own inspection, your wasting your money; (2) It's under warranty, just bring it back; (3) discredit the final report and/or the inspector.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #18

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
We used a certified inspector to help us buy our last Thor. The dealer had no issue with it. In fact it really helps everyone because the inspector issued a full report (with pictures) and then had a summary of just the issues, all well documented with pictures.

This summary became our "punch list" that was put into our PDI and drove the technicians work (we did not give the full report to the dealer, nor did they ask for it).

To be fair, we bought 3 RV's without an inspector but this last one was 2000 miles away and we felt the long distance made it worth it. It was a good experience.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Who/what organization certifies this type inspector? What was the specific certification of the person you used? Sounds like the best option available...even if you're buying just around the corner.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #20

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper21 View Post
The inspector told us that. I finally heard back from the dealership and they have no problem with it. Maybe we should look for a new inspector.
Looks like another OP run off too soon

I really was wanting to know if you got a new inspector and if so; what was the original Inspector thinking?

You are doing all of the right things. I hope it turns out well. If you haver not done, get one of those PDI inspection list floating around. Not that you can inspect all of those things yourself but it will help you know what needs to be done. Some of those can be inspected by yourself and with assistance of dealer. I didn't use an Inspector, but I had studied a PDI checklist inside out.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote