Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2022, 05:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: New York
THOR #25283
Question Replacing your TV over the Dream dinette

Hello I recently noticed our Tv is soo low resolution and i want to replace it with something worth while like an OLED on a Swivel. I'm concerned about the thinness of it and the motion of the vehicle while underway. Thought of strapping the mount down flat so it doesn't move. Has anyone done this ? If so what do you suggest.. Thanks

Old 01-31-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Make/Model/Year RV in question?

What is the size TV? Make/Model?

OLED does not change resolution, it's just a better display technology.

4K TVs are great for some streaming but most OTA TV and cable TV is limited to 1080i.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:00 PM   #3

THOR #25283
LG OLED 48' is on sale i have a 65" and we love it.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:11 PM   #4

THOR #25283
A 720p resolution television has 1,280 columns and 720 rows of pixels, hence “720p.” Multiply the two numbers for a total of 921,600 pixels. This is the minimum TV resolution that can be called “high definition,” or HDTV. Is what i have in the
2022 Windsport 29m.

OLED is a technology that can be used to create displays with different resolutions, and all of the latest LG OLED TVs offer 4K resolution. So the question to ask would be: How does a 4K OLED TV compare to 4K TVs that use a different display technology—and which offers a more satisfying home entertainment experience.

OLED's better contrast ratio is going to give it a slight edge in terms of HDR when viewed in dark rooms, but HDR on a premium LED TV screen has an edge because it can produce well-saturated colors at extreme brightness levels that OLED can't quite match but the blacks are amazing.!

8.3 million individually controlled pixels.
In comparison with conventional LED TVs, OLED TVs have the huge advantage of not requiring a back-light.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:46 PM   #5

THOR #25283
So much for my OLED idea, wont be installing a $1000 tv.. after some research i found out that Rv Tvs are made to endure the stresses of Motorhome or Trailer life. I found that one of the things is the internal chassis, where the wall-mount brackets attach to the TVs substructure. On Rv Tvs this is significantly strengthened to make sure that the TV will not break-free of the mount due to a major impact (such as a bad pothole or a bumpy road). Some Tvs break free due to vibration when mounted off their plastic housing. Now for 12V or 120v meaning House batteries or Geni/Shore power for them to work. Mine are 120v so it doesn't matter to me.
Another issue i found on the Web is temperature & humidity extremes. Specifically, Operating Temperature Range -4°F to 149°F (-20°C to 65°C); Storage Temperature Range -22°F to 158°F (-30°C to 70°C); and a maximum 90% relative humidity. Tvs specially made for Rv have robust internal electronics, conformal coated circuit boards, that add to the durability. I guess Tvs made for Home use under climate controlled and well mounted can hold up under certain conditions. I would mount it in a safe area where it's not going to fall on someones head if it decides to break off its Mount. Swivel mounts are out, a secure flat mount would be better like the one that came with the Coach. Unfortunately I'm limited to the size that is there already. I've also read many Rvers have swapped out their new/old tv for better Home Tv or Monitor with no issues.. And If you don't have a smart Tv, Buy a Fire stick, Roku, or Apple TV to convert your Dumb Tv to a Smart Tv lol. Hope this helps anyone that is looking to upgrade. Please let me know is anyone has converted with good results and how. Thanks all

Ps. Thanks to Camp addict
Old 02-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike23 View Post
So much for my OLED idea, wont be installing a $1000 tv.. after some research i found out that Rv Tvs are made to endure the stresses of Motorhome or Trailer life. I found that one of the things is the internal chassis, where the wall-mount brackets attach to the TVs substructure. On Rv Tvs this is significantly strengthened to make sure that the TV will not break-free of the mount due to a major impact (such as a bad pothole or a bumpy road). Some Tvs break free due to vibration when mounted off their plastic housing. Now for 12V or 120v meaning House batteries or Geni/Shore power for them to work. Mine are 120v so it doesn't matter to me.
Another issue i found on the Web is temperature & humidity extremes. Specifically, Operating Temperature Range -4°F to 149°F (-20°C to 65°C); Storage Temperature Range -22°F to 158°F (-30°C to 70°C); and a maximum 90% relative humidity. Tvs specially made for Rv have robust internal electronics, conformal coated circuit boards, that add to the durability. I guess Tvs made for Home use under climate controlled and well mounted can hold up under certain conditions. I would mount it in a safe area where it's not going to fall on someones head if it decides to break off its Mount. Swivel mounts are out, a secure flat mount would be better like the one that came with the Coach. Unfortunately I'm limited to the size that is there already. I've also read many Rvers have swapped out their new/old tv for better Home Tv or Monitor with no issues.. And If you don't have a smart Tv, Buy a Fire stick, Roku, or Apple TV to convert your Dumb Tv to a Smart Tv lol. Hope this helps anyone that is looking to upgrade. Please let me know is anyone has converted with good results and how. Thanks all

Ps. Thanks to Camp addict
I guarantee you that Thor does NOT put "RV TVs" in their RVs.

Who even makes "RV TVs"? Maybe the Jensen 12 volt TVs?

Not Seiki
Not Axerra

As cheap as 4K Smart TVs are I'll take my chances. I've got a 40" Insignia in the living area, and a 32" TCL in the bedroom, both ROKU smart TVs and they've suffered no issues in the MH over 20K+ miles, even over SC roads.

In fact the Seiki TV outside still works as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:07 AM   #7
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Replaced my TV's in my old fifth wheel with Samsung. Other than THOR, I have not seen Jenson TV's in any RV's on lots. My 2013 Palazo has Jenson TV's in it. THOR may or may not install them in newer units. I don't know. I will keep using them until they fail. Most manufactures purchase them in bulk lots. If they can get closeout purchase from a manufacture, that is what they purchase. Cheep as they can get to keep the cost down.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Tuscany came with 3 Sony and 1 Visio led TV's all 1080's

All standard, non RV

They all work great 6 years later and have decent picture quality
Old 02-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I guarantee you that Thor does NOT put "RV TVs" in their RVs.

Who even makes "RV TVs"? Maybe the Jensen 12 volt TVs?

Not Seiki
Not Axerra

As cheap as 4K Smart TVs are I'll take my chances. I've got a 40" Insignia in the living area, and a 32" TCL in the bedroom, both ROKU smart TVs and they've suffered no issues in the MH over 20K+ miles, even over SC roads.

In fact the Seiki TV outside still works as well.
I agree. Axxera is just cheap. They don’t even have a code that will pair with a niversal remote.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:56 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Replacing TV’s

Quote:
Hello I recently noticed our Tv is soo low resolution and i want to replace it with something worth while like an OLED on a Swivel. I'm concerned about the thinness of it and the motion of the vehicle while underway. Thought of strapping the mount down flat so it doesn't move. Has anyone done this ? If so what do you suggest.. Thanks
Mike. We have the 29M style that had 3 Seiki 32” TV’s and the rockstar Axxera in the dash. A new PIoneer in the dash and 3 new 32” Vizio’s didn’t break the bank yet provided me with the entertainment I can accept for not being in my living room. As far as the Vizio’s being RV rated….they fit perfect, work great and been with us for 5,000+ miles with some of them being California construction areas and rutted gravel roads.
I don’t regret the decision and wish you the best in finding what’s right for you!
Old 02-09-2022, 11:27 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Connecticut
THOR #16412
Did you replace the Axxera dash unit yourself? I am interested in getting rid of mine and installing something with Adroid Auto so it's more useful - just want to retain all my camera functions and make switching faster if possible. Good to hear that your tv swaps are surviving - I'm now shopping for a few with built-in Google TV/ chromecast
Old 02-10-2022, 01:39 AM   #12
MLP

THOR #17478
Here is a story I am repeating from a fellow engineer. Back when he was young and working for another AreoSpace Company, they had a take your family to work Saturday. So they set up a finished product on a shake and shock table and another with a cheep TV purchased at a five and dime. They took off the back of the set, it was the old tube TV, and anchored it down solid on another shake and shock table. Long story short the demo started after an explanation of just how much engineering it takes to make a product survive the shock and vibe required for a Mil product. Well the MIL product failed almost instantly. The very cheep tube TV could not be broken! The tubes glowed and waved around in their sockets and the set just played the local channel from the waving rabbit ear antennas. So just go for anything you want!
Old 02-10-2022, 02:50 AM   #13

Model: Compass TR23
THOR #5842
Vizio in the bedroom

We replaced the Thor provided tv with a 32” Vizio Smart tv. It has handled the bumpy roads of AZ, NM and TX. Less than $200, has all the streaming services you can use with a WiFi signal.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:56 AM   #14

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
I didn’t do the work. I learned the hard way by having….gulp; CW do it while getting a couple of other items tended. Hey; some of us take longer to realize getting things installed is quicker but finding the special “someone” can take time and $$. Since then I’ve had the doghouse off and had an easier way to the back of the Pioneer and know I could have done it myself.
The factory mount and camera cables worked perfectly for the new unit. It has Apple Play and Android air, plus aux input. The one thing it doesn’t do is stop the music when turn signals are used; bounce the views, hesitate providing a view or cause me a stroke from rage at a POS that shouldn’t even be an option to purchase.
Once they were out and I hung a sound bar under the dinette tv, we’ve been rocking the free world and smiling large.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:24 PM   #15

Model: Damon Astoria
State: Washington
THOR #25815
Quote:
We replaced our Jensen tv's with LG's. I was worried about the stress of the TV bouncing down the road while hanging on the new swivel mounts. What I decided was that the TV's themselves weigh next to nothing, like 12 pounds. So I just unhook them and lay them flat on the bed while we travel. Takes all of 5 minutes to reinstall the two of them when arrived.

I don't worry about them any more no matter how rough the road gets
Old 02-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
We replaced with a 32" Samsung because Samsung is the only product that the Spectrum app will load on. That way there is only one plug, no other streaming device needed.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:33 AM   #17

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
No sure were the made for RV tv came from but get a an inexpensive tv along with a full motion mount tv that locks and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:19 PM   #18

THOR #25283
Thanks all for the replies. I finally went ahead and replaced the living area tv which was an Executive ( never heard of before ) with a Vizio 4k and its like night and day. Threw a Bose sounder on there, sounds great. Just trying to figure out how to mount it. Thinking of the Mounting dream sound-bar mount for Sonos from Amazon, it seams that it clamps down. I can use double sided tape or Dual lock. If anyone has any suggestions i'd appreciate all inputs.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:25 AM   #19

State: Virginia
THOR #25276
Following, thinking of doing same thing. Wife hates the angled TV mount. Installed pic would be great as well!
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:40 AM   #20

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Our Aria came with Samsung
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacingtv, tvs