Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #19029
Roku stick

No idea where to put this question so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. Went on a maiden voyage this past week and had zero TV. There was no internet nor cable to be had. I got a Roku stick at Wally World and FINALLY got it plugged in an HDMI port.(Took a while) I couldn't see behind the tv to locate the port, and there is very little space to work with. I finally felt my way to one and got it plugged in. After reading the pamphlet, it says there must be an internet connection for it to work. I have the Roku app on my phone. Question is, can I use my phone as a hot spot to make it work when I am not near a router/internet and am using Verizon data only? Thx

Old 07-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
For others, because it's too late for you:
Do not install devices into those miserable to reach TV ports.
Install cables and then install the device to the cable. If you do this you can switch devices in a leisurely fashion instead of going through the hate and discontent again.

I'm surprised you didn't know roku needed internet. Where did you think it was going to get content?

Get someone to help you, in person, having that person show you how to download movies to your phone, how to cast from your phone to your TV and how to Hotspot if Hotspot is avaliable on your undisclosed network plan and phone type.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
First of all: Yes you can use your phone as a hotspot for the Roku to stream on--make sure your plan can handle that much data or you'll get a nasty surprise.

I believe Roku devices can be cast to as well (I can cast to our Roku TV--not sure if I can to the small Roku device I have on another TV but then I also have a version 1 Chromecast laying around here somewhere).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Don't know what coach you have but if you have a DVD player and multiple tv's I plug mine into the switch box on top of DVD player so I can stream on any or all of my tv's .
Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Those sticks get hot

Those Roku sticks get hot. That's why I recommend spending a bit more for the Roku devices which connect thru a cable to the TV. Test yours. If it gets hot behind the TV follow the advice to connect an extension cable to the USB port and connect the Roku stick to that.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #6

THOR #19029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
For others, because it's too late for you:
Do not install devices into those miserable to reach TV ports.
Install cables and then install the device to the cable. If you do this you can switch devices in a leisurely fashion instead of going through the hate and discontent again.

I'm surprised you didn't know roku needed internet. Where did you think it was going to get content?

Get someone to help you, in person, having that person show you how to download movies to your phone, how to cast from your phone to your TV and how to Hotspot if Hotspot is avaliable on your undisclosed network plan and phone type.
Well, that's what i figured but with technology changing every day I sometimes feel ignorant. Lol We had nothing at the national park and son in law said all i need to get is a Roku. I just assumed that maybe something had bern updated that i wasn't aware of. :/

Thank you for your info.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #7

THOR #19029
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Those Roku sticks get hot. That's why I recommend spending a bit more for the Roku devices which connect thru a cable to the TV. Test yours. If it gets hot behind the TV follow the advice to connect an extension cable to the USB port and connect the Roku stick to that.
It does get hot so im thinking I'll get somebody over here that'd smarter than me to do what needs to be done.

Thank you 😊
Old 07-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #8

THOR #19029
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Don't know what coach you have but if you have a DVD player and multiple tv's I plug mine into the switch box on top of DVD player so I can stream on any or all of my tv's .
I'll suggest that to whomever i can get over here. 2016 Vegas 24.1

Thank you
Old 07-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #9

THOR #19029
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
First of all: Yes you can use your phone as a hotspot for the Roku to stream on--make sure your plan can handle that much data or you'll get a nasty surprise.

I believe Roku devices can be cast to as well (I can cast to our Roku TV--not sure if I can to the small Roku device I have on another TV but then I also have a version 1 Chromecast laying around here somewhere).
Ill check into this as well. Its tough getting behind these tvs. Lol

Thank you
Old 07-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It took me about 30 minutes and two handmade tools to get the cable into the bedroom TV on our 24.1
We use a cable to connect our phone instead of casting when we watch phone movies. It's dedicated and can't lose a signal. We've never had much luck with the casting.

Op,
Install the Amazon or Netflix app if you have either service. It's so easy to download movies to your phone, or even an entire series.

THAT we can help with.
No internet needed to watch a downloaded movie. No roaming fees, no additional data charges to your phone if you download at home off of your internet provider.
Free in every way, Flawless, and at your command.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #11

THOR #19029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It took me about 30 minutes and two handmade tools to get the cable into the bedroom TV on our 24.1
We use a cable to connect our phone instead of casting when we watch phone movies. It's dedicated and can't lose a signal. We've never had much luck with the casting.

Op,
Install the Amazon or Netflix app if you have either service. It's so easy to download movies to your phone, or even an entire series.

THAT we can help with.
No internet needed to watch a downloaded movie. No roaming fees, no additional data charges to your phone if you download at home off of your internet provider.
Free in every way, Flawless, and at your command.

Thank you greatly for your suggestions. I think the SIL can handle that for me. If not ill go to you tube. Lol.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
THOR #12223
Roku Stick

Hi
We simply transfer our roku sticks from home to rv when we hit the road. Our unit is pretty simple to get to hdmi ports so don’t need an external cable. We have unlimited data on our verizon phone plan and use the hot spot option quite often. As it does require decent connectivity performance to stream there are locations where it simply won’t work. Heck there were locations where we had no phone reception period. But, after an 8000 mile journey out west, we found it works most of the time. One gotcha we weren’t aware of, Hulu won’t work outside of your home location. Otherwise it works pretty well and we are quite happy with it.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsy57 View Post
Well, that's what i figured but with technology changing every day I sometimes feel ignorant.
I know exactly how you feel...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #14

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
I used the factory installed HDMI cable in the kitchen cabinet. I removed the false cabinet side and routed the cable along with the power cable through the cabinet wall to a Roku Express mounted on the cabinet end where it can receive the signal from the remote.
At the same time, I installed a sound bar vertically next to the Lippert One panel. Also routed those wires through the cabinet to power and the TV.
I use my phone as a hotspot for the Roku. Generally, it works great as long as there is a sufficient cell data signal.
By the way, H2O Wireless (runs on AT&T) has an unlimited phone plan with 30gb of 4G data before it gets throttled back to 2G-$54.95/month.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Suggestion, connect in the house on easy to access house TV and get it setup and working. Then go plug into RV.

I can hotspot off my data plan with no issues, but I use an app to mirror from my phone direct to my Roku Ultra. I have Android. My kids have not had much success trying to mirror using there fancy smancy iphones Btw, if you can swing it get the Roku Ultra because the remote is wonderful and can work from anywhere.

What is neat about the stick is that it does not require ac outlet, so you got use but my money says FWIW the Roku Ultra is the real deal for my RV,
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote