Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Garmin RV 890

Old 07-04-2021, 12:16 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Set the Garmin POI to "truck stop", not "gas station". That was you are assured enough room for your rig.

I have been to a bunch of truck stops where a large class c pulling a TOAD could not get in or out without disconnecting. The Pilots at exits 213 and 150 on I81 in Virginia are prime examples.

Loves can be good but Petro and PFJ are a crap shoot some good with a bunch of bad.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:09 AM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I have been to a bunch of truck stops where a large class c pulling a TOAD could not get in or out without disconnecting. The Pilots at exits 213 and 150 on I81 in Virginia are prime examples.

Loves can be good but Petro and PFJ are a crap shoot some good with a bunch of bad.
IMO, using Google satellite view is useful. For instance, for the Pilot station at exit 213, if you enter at the second entrance, further from the expressway, the north side of the first two islands should be accessible and leave enough room to pull out and leave via the first entrance, the one closer to the expressway. That's not how one would naturally do it if not using the satellite view ahead of time though. (It also appears there's now, or soon will be, a new Love's there.)
Old 07-04-2021, 02:16 AM   #24
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
IMO, using Google satellite view is useful. For instance, for the Pilot station at exit 213, if you enter at the second entrance, further from the expressway, the north side of the first two islands should be accessible and leave enough room to pull out and leave via the first entrance, the one closer to the expressway. That's not how one would naturally do it if not using the satellite view ahead of time though. (It also appears there's now, or soon will be, a new Love's there.)
I agree with using Google Satellite view and I also use Google street view when it is available. One thing that Google Satellite does not do is update real time so you do not know how many people are parked along the curbs restricting the flow of traffic into and out of the pumps. I would use that pilot when we had the Class C Sunseeker which was 28 foot but wouldn't dream of using it with the Challenger. There is another Pilot at exit 205 where the. pumps are parallel to the road and it provides better access for larger motorhomes and 5th wheels.

As a note the Loves at 213 has been operational for quite some time.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #25

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJuice View Post
I have the Garmin RV890. It does have speed, both limit and actual, and the display is bright enough that I can see it easily even "snow blind" from looking out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
I have the Garmin RV890 also and love it. Have had zero issues and the screen size is perfect. I have no problem seeing all the detail and info with my progressive lenses.
Quote:
I have the new 10" Garmin RV 1090. Pricy but my company is a partner with Garmin and I received 35% off.

My old eyes loves the extra large 10" screen and this thing is a full computer. It does it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
Garmin RV 890
If you wouldn't mind, please plot a route from Lagrangeville, NY to White Plains, NY and post what the roads are that this unit sends you on.

I am looking for a stand alone unit. I have had older Garmins that send me on roads that I should not be on. Word on the street is that Trimble updated the database to correct issues in the northeast and that the new database in in the 890 and 1090. If so, we would like to get one.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
I use a Garmin DriveSmart 61. Although not the latest and greatest, it has some features I find useful.

Trip Planner feature
On longer unfamiliar routes off the beaten path I use the "avoid road" function to customize the route - something you cannot do on Google Maps. The caveat is on longer trips this can take a considerable amount of time. I usually sit down at the computer with Google maps open and scroll/pan through the route ESPECIALLY at intersections/turns onto minor roads. As stated in posts above, Garmin routing will randomly take bizarre routes... I've been routed onto some scary single-lane roads more than once! By "pre-planning" with Google Maps, I also scan for fuel stops to get a TRUE VISUAL on what I'm pulling in to. I really don't fancy disconnecting the toad just to turn around!

Speed - both actual and posted
In the lower left corner there's a little "speed limit sign" showing the posted speed... Garmin sounds a tone when approaching a speed change. Beside that is your ACTUAL speed. As others have posted, I CANNOT see my dash instruments AT ALL in sunlight (THANKS FORD). Besides, the factory speedo IS NOT ACCURATE... and I'm certainly not paying a Ford dealer $$$ to recalibrate.

Garmin likely uses the same mapping algorithm across all it's models. The differences are specific to firmware in certain models - which essentially do route avoidance based on what you program in - basically "somewhat" automating what I do manually with Google Maps.

A side note: When navigating with a large vehicle like an RV, I urge using as many tools as possible to avoid the feeling of "I'm not really sure where I'm going...". Search for useful RV apps, and do a little research. Your GPS is just one tool among many. No two people travel/plan the same way. I'm an information junkie... I like to have all the details BEFORE I start a trip in the RV. That my drive others nuts. Point is, find what works for YOU!
Old 10-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #27

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
If you wouldn't mind, please plot a route from Lagrangeville, NY to White Plains, NY and post what the roads are that this unit sends you on.

I am looking for a stand alone unit. I have had older Garmins that send me on roads that I should not be on. Word on the street is that Trimble updated the database to correct issues in the northeast and that the new database in in the 890 and 1090. If so, we would like to get one.

With those "generic" starting/ending points, my DriveSmart 61 AND Google Maps routes the following:

Route 82 to Taconic State Parkway...

But... I actually LOOKED at the route - how much clearance is that tunnel??

This is EXACTLY why I DO NOT trust just one tool, AND I preview an UNFAMILIAR route before taking it!
Old 10-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #28

THOR #16721
Sorry:

Or... on Friday Nov. 5th...

Take route 55 over to route 22...

Stop in Daryl's House Club & see "Beginnings" Chicago tribute band.

I just put that band on my (eventually) bucket list!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
Old 10-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:

With my RV dimensions loaded, Garmin 1090 gives me one route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2453.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	34485  
Old 10-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #30

THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
With those "generic" starting/ending points, my DriveSmart 61 AND Google Maps routes the following:

Route 82 to Taconic State Parkway...

But... I actually LOOKED at the route - how much clearance is that tunnel??

This is EXACTLY why I DO NOT trust just one tool, AND I preview an UNFAMILIAR route before taking it!
That is the route the 770 would send my 30 foot Class C with trailer. So much fun. I drive the Taconic everyday and see mis-placed vehicles on it all the time for following the gps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Sorry:

Or... on Friday Nov. 5th...

Take route 55 over to route 22...

Stop in Daryl's House Club & see "Beginnings" Chicago tribute band.

I just put that band on my (eventually) bucket list!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
You know, I see that place all the time. I never stopped in. We tried to get in there once to see Romeo Delight (VH Tribute). Sold out.

Quote:
This is perfect. It seems as though the database indeed has been corrected. Time to order one. I have fallen out of love with the RV Life app, which was my primary, and now want to go back to a stand alone unit.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #31

State: Michigan
THOR #24941
Quote:
No such thing as a "former marine" just sayin!
Semper Fi Brother
Old 10-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by befoe1958 View Post
No such thing as a "former marine" just sayin!
Semper Fi Brother
Incorrect

There is no such thing as an Ex Marine

https://www.military.com/marine-corp...exmarines.html

Happy Birthday brother
Old 11-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #33

State: North Carolina
THOR #25067
Quote:

This is perfect. It seems as though the database indeed has been corrected. Time to order one. I have fallen out of love with the RV Life app, which was my primary, and now want to go back to a stand alone unit.

I'm curious why you don't like the RV Life app anymore? I just signed up for a trial of it. Going on our first trip in our new motorhome this week.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #34

THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbryant View Post
I'm curious why you don't like the RV Life app anymore? I just signed up for a trial of it. Going on our first trip in our new motorhome this week.
At first we loved it because it was the only RV based HPS that did not have a defective database. Plus it's integration with Trip Wizard made it a winner in our eyes.

After we used it several times, we noticed things that are just flat out annoying.

The user unterface is about 12 years behind.

It is easy to back out of the app while using it by mistake and have to reroute the trip.

The screen does not rotate.

It is horrible at estimating time. It can be off by as much as 50%.

There are bings and bongs above the speed limit which cannot be turned off.

The voice is really bad.

The text field t the top of the screen does not allow enough characters to give the full not of an exit.

It will identify splits in the road that are not exits as exits and direct you to make unnecessary lane changes.

There are more, just what I can think of off the top of my head. The Teip Wizard is still our primary planner, we don't use their maintenance app.

I think Truck Map is a suitable free replacement.