Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2021, 04:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #15809
Unhappy Motorhome lean

I have a 2018 Thor Quantum class C on a F- 450 chassis with a full side slide on the drivers side.....I noticed today that the MH leans to the drivers side with the slide in, I assume this is because of the extra weight of the slide, my question is, does the factory beef up the suspension on that side or is there something I can do to level it out ? It is about 2 inches low on that side.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This has been discussed many times.....

Thor and other RV manufacturers take a stock chassis and build a motorhome on it without making any changes to the stock suspension.

In the case of the E-450, Ford does not know if the buyer is going to build a shuttle bus, box truck, ambulance or motorhome on the chassis so they just have a basic suspension setup that meets the GVWR of the vehicle.

IMHO, the E-450 is a poor choice for a chassis on any motorhome 25' or longer unless the RV manufacturer installs better suspension components when they build them. The length, width and height are more than the stock chassis suspension can handle.

There are some things you can try yourself like installing Sumop Springs to help better support the load. I installed Sumo Springs, Hellwig Sway Bars and a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer to get the suspension to provide better handling and ride quality on my last Class C on the E-450. The Sumo Springs did help a little with then lean but not completely.

You could take it to a shop that specializes in truck suspensions. They can detrmine if changing springs, adding a leaf, etc. can be done to handle the load better and level the coach based on the confguration adn weight distribution.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I have a small list to the right side all the time. All the food cabinets, fridge and lower storage bins are on that side. Thor, or any of the manufacturers, do not pay much attention to weights and balances. Ford told me they can install an airbag on that side but it really isn't a big enough issue to worry about. I can see it in rest areas, etc., but can't feel it driving. I've seen a number of RV's leaning one way or the other. Check your springs and suspension parts. If all looks good, just lean a little to the right when you drive.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #4

State: New York
THOR #24998
Not a lean question but from a new owner of a 2018 Sprinter Quantum 24KM: Can the slide be moved out part way to allow passage to the rear when at a campground or does it have to be moved all the way out to prevent something like leaking if it rains? Thanks
Old 09-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezim View Post
Not a lean question but from a new owner of a 2018 Sprinter Quantum 24KM: Can the slide be moved out part way to allow passage to the rear when at a campground or does it have to be moved all the way out to prevent something like leaking if it rains? Thanks
Not moving it all the way out is not so much a water leak concern as it is an air leak concern - bugs, air conditioning, heat.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:03 PM   #6

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezim View Post
Slides are supposed to be all the way out or all the way in nowhere in-between. It can screw up the syncing of the slides. I'm not sure if it will be sealed without the slide all the way out. On the Thor video and the dealer they say never stop the slide before it's in all the way or out all the way
Old 09-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtorunwild View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Quantum class C on a F- 450 chassis with a full side slide on the drivers side.....I noticed today that the MH leans to the drivers side with the slide in, I assume this is because of the extra weight of the slide, my question is, does the factory beef up the suspension on that side or is there something I can do to level it out ? It is about 2 inches low on that side.
I bet a spring shop could re-arch the springs on that side or add another one
Old 09-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #8

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Some place in the past I heard that a slight lean to the pass side was to compensate for the road crown. So if the E350/450 was level you would see a slight lean to the right. I think it is to let the water drain from the road?
Just a thought.

camperguy99