Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2022, 12:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Tesla and Casita

Well, this was a first for me. We're parked at a campground right off I-35 in central Texas. Clean, friendly place but more of a parking lot with no shade and plenty of 100 degree sunshine. Anyway a Tesla towing a Casita from Washington state pulls into the next spot and hooks up to power, 50 amp for the car and 30 amp for the trailer. So it is possible to electrify RV travel if you want to do it in a couple of extremely small vehicles. I know I'm not the first to see it but it was my first time. After seeing it, I am sure it is not for me.

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:07 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
It would be interesting to know how much power it took to cool the Tesla battery towing in 100 degree heat
Old 06-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If you stop at the next campground 100 miles down the road, you'll get another crack at studying that snail of a setup for another night. Each to his own but not for me. I'd bet the farm they didn't do the math before that purchase. Could the camper run off the car while boondocking? Wonder if they carry a Honda 2000?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:52 PM   #4

Model: Aria 4000
State: Illinois
THOR #31535
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
It would be interesting to know how much power it took to cool the Tesla battery towing in 100 degree heat
Towing a camp trailer by Tesla will result in approx 100 mile effective range.
So - good for about 1-1/2 of travel, then rest for 25 minutes :-)
Old 02-05-2024, 04:41 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I wonder when campgrounds are going to start charging a premium for EV charging at an RV power post.

An 80 kWh battery which is typical for medium size EVs, will cost about $10 in power to charge from 25% to 100%.

David
Old 02-05-2024, 05:25 PM   #6

THOR #31535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I wonder when campgrounds are going to start charging a premium for EV charging at an RV power post.

An 80 kWh battery which is typical for medium size EVs, will cost about $10 in power to charge from 25% to 100%.

David
I am OK with that. I think your $10 estimation is rather high, unless one does it in areas where rates are high ( california ? )
I think for the most part - it may not be worth creating "infrastructure" to charge for kwh's of EV charging. It will mostly be sub $5,

We will likely see EV charging providers install their posts around campgrounds instead.

BTW - I am about to start my year long journey around states towing my Model Y.
I am hoping most charging will be done with onboard 110V while i move around from place to place.
Will also report on my success, and/or failures dealing with random charging in remote places.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:05 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
PeterK:

I think it is important to really understand what it costs to recharge EVs. It often gets dismissed in the discussion as you just did.

So, for a medium size EV with a total battery capacity of 80 kWh, it will take 60 kWh minimum (more due to charging inefficiencies) and at a national average of 15 cents per kWh, will cost $9 or more.

In my state with a 25 cent per kWh average, it is a lot more.

I doubt if many campground owners knew the real cost would they be willing to let that slide.

David
Old 02-05-2024, 06:21 PM   #8

THOR #31535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
PeterK:

I think it is important to really understand what it costs to recharge EVs. It often gets dismissed in the discussion as you just did.

So, for a medium size EV with a total battery capacity of 80 kWh, it will take 60 kWh minimum (more due to charging inefficiencies) and at a national average of 15 cents per kWh, will cost $9 or more.

I doubt if many campground owners knew the real cost would they be willing to let that slide.

David
Hi David,

I feel like I am pretty aware and knowledgeable about charging cost and charging losses. I own two teslas that I charge at home, and watch energy consumption being as obsessed with efficiency as I am :-)

Typical charging efficiency is 95% ( in case of tesla)
Model 3 and Y both have 75kwh batteries. An average daily use would be maybe third of that at most unless someone drives more than 200 miles in the day - i doubt that.
Cost per kwh - im speculating in this particular case would be sub $0.12. Higher rates are in metropolitan areas - I doubt people RV camp there.

So:
Figure 20 kwh at most at 0.12 = $ 2.50 / day
This however may be a very liberal estimation, as I think most RV-ers spend their time relaxing at the resort rather than taking sightseeing trips.

Maybe - this is the reason why there are no public EV chargers at RV resorts? Usage is just minimal - at least until EV's become more main stream. Then - I am sure the market will adjust, EVGo, and Tesla will start installing them for convenience
Old 02-05-2024, 07:12 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Interesting this came back to life
All the EV's I have seen at resorts/parks/campgrounds have shared the pedestal

Another item that is interesting is most all the campgrounds we frequent have meters and you are charged for usage over their daily allotment and at .17 or higher.

When we run all three AC's it is always over 5 bucks more per day upcharge. Amazing how many of you find the parks that don't have meters and have unlimited 50-amp service.

Electric KW cost isn't going down so somthing to consider in the future
Old 02-05-2024, 07:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Another item that is interesting is most all the campgrounds we frequent have meters and you are charged for usage over their daily allotment and at .17 or higher.

When we run all three AC's it is always over 5 bucks more per day upcharge. Amazing how many of you find the parks that don't have meters and have unlimited 50-amp service.

Where are you staying that has metered sites. I’ve only encountered that on sites setup for long term use and I’ve never stayed at any campground that charges based on usage.

Sounds like you need to relook at where you’re staying because you’re getting ripped off big time.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:50 PM   #11

THOR #31535
Quote:

Good info!.
In my "former life" ( Tiffin Allegro Gasser ) we'd mostly stay in national and state parks, with often just electric hookup. That was mostly vacation travels, sightseeing for a week or two at a shot - so not the "snowbird" type of stay.
Maybe its the seasonal sites that have meters?

I honestly don't mind being charged. The convenience of EV driving vastly compensates for any possible "extras" in kWh charges.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Where are you staying that has metered sites. I’ve only encountered that on sites setup for long term use and I’ve never stayed at any campground that charges based on usage.

Sounds like you need to relook at where you’re staying because you’re getting ripped off big time.
X2 - meters are for monthly residents in every campground I stayed at that had meters.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:18 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I spent one night in a metered site where they checked and charged. It is something I avoid now. But it is interesting reading posts from a person that actually uses a Tesla. As to costs, I don't know. I have seen multiple internet stories talking about how cheap they are to charge. But I have also seen stories of how they are more expensive than anticipated. Personally, I am in the camp of I will never own an all electric vehicle. Hybrid yes, but all electric, never. Our national grid is to fragile and I prefer what electricity we do have to go to homes and hospitals.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:41 PM   #14

THOR #31535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I spent one night in a metered site where they checked and charged. It is something I avoid now. But it is interesting reading posts from a person that actually uses a Tesla. As to costs, I don't know. I have seen multiple internet stories talking about how cheap they are to charge. But I have also seen stories of how they are more expensive than anticipated. Personally, I am in the camp of I will never own an all electric vehicle. Hybrid yes, but all electric, never. Our national grid is to fragile and I prefer what electricity we do have to go to homes and hospitals.
They are expensive to charge and relatively dysfunctional daily driver if one is relying on superchargers, especially if doing some serious miles daily driving.
I charge at home and so it costs me practically nothing in comparison to any ICE.

With that said - Wife and I racked up more than 35K miles on our tesla over the last 12 months road tripping.
Why? - because it is super fun, the driving comfort is superior to anything I ever owned before, user interface, audio system and most importantly the autopilot are simply phenomenal
Old 02-05-2024, 10:55 PM   #15

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Interesting article here:
https://cleantechnica.com/2024/02/02...use-went-down/
The article points mostly at electrical devices becoming more efficient.

I will keep my EV, electric mower and all my Ego power garden tools.

Unlike many, my home and car and all the above are solar powered, and home is 100% energy bill free, and even have battery back up.

I know not everyone can afford that, but it is getting more affordable over time. Less expensive panels, and higher efficiencies.
I am thankful to be able to have all this and not take anything from the grid at all all year long.

When I do venture out with my EV, I find it costs less than gasoline, and also no oil changes and 2000 less moving parts. I'll never have a gas car again.

Sadly the RVs are not there yet...

Coming "soon" are solid state batteries and faster charge rates.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:15 PM   #16

THOR #31535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark54 View Post
Interesting article here:
https://cleantechnica.com/2024/02/02...use-went-down/
The article points mostly at electrical devices becoming more efficient.
Interesting article!. Thanks for posting,
Wonder how biased it is.

The gear head that I am, I too switched to practically all electron power everything. My friends think I've gone mad :-)

Have you towed your iD4? Have you had it plugged in while towing?
Old 02-06-2024, 01:38 PM   #17

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by konicom04 View Post
Interesting article!. Thanks for posting,
Wonder how biased it is.

The gear head that I am, I too switched to practically all electron power everything. My friends think I've gone mad :-)

Have you towed your iD4? Have you had it plugged in while towing?
Not the 1st article similar to that- and son said the same thing- and he's an electrician.

I haven't towed with or towed the ID4 b/c it would need a trailer and also is 4000# heavy... I have a tow hitch for it still not installed! The Aptera is about the only EV I could pull behind my Tellaro.
There are a lot of Teslas and ID4s around here in VT- but I bet I'm the only one with this- 7kW battery (can take 2 more), 11mph, and can mow my 2 acres in <2hrs, 2X on one charge. 60" cut. (Mean Green CXR60)
Gearhead too- 40 cars, 3 EVs (e-Golf, Bolt EV, ID4)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CXR60.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	45066  
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:16 PM   #18

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #30293
Can't wait until campgrounds raise all their site rates to spread the cost of re-charging EVs... Ya know a price we all should assume.. NOT!